Thread: Advice on car being off the road for the winter

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Advice on car being off the road for the winter

When I bought my Nova GSi I insured it for a month just so i could have a little drive and see if there was any problems with it, but that runs out tomorrow so it'll be off the road until spring next year.

Just wanted some advice on what to do when its just sitting for a while..

So far I've been told to;

Fill the tank to stop water getting in there
    Start it and let it run for a few mins every month

It will be sitting on my driveway with a car cover on it from now till about february/march so about 6 months.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good quality car cover? I'd still try and air it out on sunny days to avoid moisture trapped

I thought fuel went 'off' after several months so I'd leave the minimum amount in there. I've heard of people filling up diesels for standing though?

Worth moving to avoid tyre flat spots/damage, maybe put it on stands and cover the wheels to stop UV degradation?

Then again it's only a winter so not that long...

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a 3 layered one from halfords? But I will be doing stuff to it over winter for show season next year so it will be on and off all the time, and yeah I can move it around on the drive way every now and then to stop things seizing and that

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Put some extra air in the tyres (3 bar). And fill here up to avoid moist build up in the tank. But then I had my tank removed as the outside was fully covered in rust. The inside was still spotless even after the car had been outside under a cover for 1,5 years (before I bought it btw)...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look up Frostauto.com (iirc) they have lots of products for car lay up.
    My GSi rotted out in a dry garage over 2 years so in my experience laying cars up isnt the greatest idea but you'll know how she fares come spring time.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine hibernates every winter, although in a garage. I inflate the tyres to around 3 psi, leave around a quarter tank of fuel and plug in a trickle charger. I usually start it up once a week and rotate the wheels.
    Come springtime I top up the tank with fresh fuel and go for a long drive.

Club Member Club Member dgbnova#1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fill the tank not gona go bad in 6 months better full than empty just look at mine on the GL that's what comes from storage with a dry tank ok long term but you get the idea
    put it in gear and but bricks in front and behind wheels stops the hand break sticking on then and make no. If my cars have the hand brake up unless I'm useing them more air In tyres is a good one also or on stands even better

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More fuel the better, as water will get in in the space between tank ad fuel and rot thw top out.. That's why most cars have holes in the top of the tank....

You'll wanna run it till its warm, as you want the oil to heat up and not condensate or you'll get mayo in the pipes and the exhaust will warm up enough not to trap and hold water.

Get one of the mini dehumidifier s in there to help the seats going moldy.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

IF you use a trickle charger MAKE SURE ITS NOT UNDER A COVER!!!!!!!!! http://www.vx220.org.uk/forums/topic...-charger-fire/
    I'd simply disconnect the battery and not botehr starting it tbh. The bores wont rust so long as youve put decent oil in and the cams will be the same.

The biggest problem will be the brakes. I had my VX220 on axle stands for 2-3 months from January and the discs were essentially scrap and it killed the pads too. I'd be half inclined to remove the discs and pads to keep inside and wrapped up with that rust proof paper stuff and a load of silica gel...unless they are cheap ones then just buy new for the spring.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talking of car covers, I'd advise against it outdoors tbh, they blow & flap in the wind & abrade your paintwork. Fine for occasional use or in a garage but not outdoors.

Personally I would run some insulation tape accross the door seals to stop rain pishing down inside the doors & similar over the scuttle to keep the battery tray area dry. Give it a good waxing & hope for the best.