Thread: A reg GL

Club Member Club Member dgbnova#1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default A reg GL

Well posted plenty of things this is my first project thread though other cars are just nowhere near ether working on or project worthy

Only got the car a week ago but done a fair few jobs on it and I'm gona nick Josh's write up as saves me doing it will add this in later

so I got it Saturday last week and made it back in the end 4.5 hours to do a 2 hour drive

car has had a good bit of money spent on it evident from all the paperwork from 2012 onwards breaks, engine work, new shocks, so on so after a good look I removed the tank and fairly evident that was the problem

so swoped the tank fixed rattle on exhaust going to change this but wanted it running for now to iron out any problems touched up the bonnet as it was grey primer and remove the biggest over sized welded plate I've seen In a while so fixed that and painted inner wing think it looks better

so plans are fix tank sender never worked properly but not at all now
    Possably re paint the car it's now show car and some bits Need attention now not later
    find some trim bits 2 Infact for complete interior
    thats it may get some custom mats made to protect carpet as I'm always somewhere dirty so just makes sence will add pics in a bit and some other info also

interested in any info people have on the car also I know it was from Luton (F Oggelsby in Harpenden) 1984 and think it came from a C Reed in Bedford but anything people can find out for me or point in the right direction I see there still trading but I'm not sure they can help to much

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

, it's an A reg 1.2 gl, with 42,000 family owned miles on the clock, was put into storage in 2002 after the valve guides were worn, then got brought by the guy I got it off in late 2012, he had the head ultrasonic lay cleaned, new steam seals e.t.c... Head gasket, sump gasket, cambelt, water pump, alternator belt, fuel pump, leads, oil, brake pads, shoes, wheel cylinders, tyress changed, shocks and I've probably forgot some more! It's over £500's worth of receipts! It was subsequently mot'd, so it now has Mot till November tax till April. It has some rare parts including full almost immaculate gl red interior, original cassette radio, radio fader, headlight warning buzzer, under bonnet and boot light, 6 dial clocks, cassette holder, split folding rear bench, rear speakers, and in etched bronze glass with top tint screen! Sadly someone has screwed the sides of the rear bumper up where the brackets have broken, but it looks neat enough
    External wise it's not perfect and would require some work to make it so, but I believe it to be better than most and regardless it's a rare car, it has had a plate infront of the drivers turret, and the battery tray has been done, there is a small bit of surface in the drivers side boot floor corner although it has not penetrated and is only from the top, this could easily be treated and painted, around the car there is various little blemishes, chips that have bubbled slightly, the bonnet I presume from storage had bird poo eat into patches, there are bits oflacquer speckling around the car, and someone has attempted to tidy some bits up with spraypaint, rear arches seem alright, so do rear chassis legs and splash guards, pannel wise ideally it wants a pair of doors and a drivers wing, I am being brutally honest about this!

Stolen text but no copyright

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not breaking this then

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuel filter mmm not the best sign

Fuel tank also not the best

Petrol residue from tank

Pickup pipe this has been jet washed at high heat but filter was clogged solid before then

Exhaust rattle found

New tank striped and primed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by conza123 View Post
    Not breaking this then
    You intreated in the glass

any day now merris will say big block it and Scott will be on saying no

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgbnova#1 View Post
    You intreated in the glass

any day now merris will say big block it and Scott will be on saying no
    How many do you have? Still got the 1.4 sr from broad stairs

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bonnet with bird poo primer

Inner wing primed will add a pic of the hole and crazy plate in a bit

ahh all shiny now

Other side with cleaner header fitted old one in shot also and wires re taped far tidyer

Bonnet touched up just for now

Up in the air waiting for tank and exhaust

Cleaning rub strips up a bit not to bad interested in people's views ideas on these.
    Last edited by dgbnova#1; 13-04-14 at 08:39 PM.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really like this car, hardly any GL's around at one point then 3 appear at once. It's all about that classic bronze glass!! I spoke to josh about wanting that windscreen but wasn't interested.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rear Panel spray undersealed it was hand done before

The bits I need
    seat trim

Window winder washer ( I know it's there it's the other side that's missing )

Chrome trims need 4 bits the 2 mirror parts drivers rear and top front part
    Last edited by dgbnova#1; 13-04-14 at 08:47 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leggattr View Post
    Really like this car, hardly any GL's around at one point then 3 appear at once. It's all about that classic bronze glass!! I spoke to josh about wanting that windscreen but wasn't interested.
    Well I will be seconding that I'm sorry I did see you asked him