Thread: converting c20let to 2wd ????

cav c20let member
    fareham,portsmouth drives:a c20let cav gsi hates: french cars
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

f20's are good but there only geared for around 150. they can take the strain of a let if its standard but f28 is better top end. it all really comes down to how you intend to use the car (track car or jus mucking around in it!!!). up to you though

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bottlethroddy
    Nout wrong with using an F20 as long as you dont drive it like a cnut! F28's just add more weight to an already heavy front end!
    well when mine went i was driving normally just changing from 2nd to 3rd and it blew to bits, the f20's cant handle the torque the 20 in in f20 is for 200nm of toruqe and 280 nm in the f28, so from that i take it to be a stronger box

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by hurcombe_nova
    yes but is it only the gearbox that needs converting to 2wd and nothing else, so there aint much different in fitting the xe then ?
    Yep just the gearbox needs modding, remove the transfer box and use a seal carrier off an f20 or something, a few places sell the part needed with instructions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just find a F25 from a Vectra or Calibra/Cavalier and take the OS shaft out and then remove the plate with 5x Tourx bits (keep the nuts) this bolts straight onto the F28 without any tapping threads etc.

A F20 will run on a LET if you can drive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lost count of how many times i replaced the f20 if you got a let nova or corsa the f28 the only way!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well it would appear your very good at finding sh1te gearboxes OR you cant drive!

As for the gearing, where on earth are you going to need more than 150 MPH top end???????????? Certainly on no british racetrack ive ever been on, let alone public roads!

My F20 has had some SERIOUS abuse this year, the one i had before this one died after two trackdays. As long as you find a good one, it'll be fine, thats the trick (bear in mind these boxes are getting on a bit now!!!)

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the reason behind the numbers on the gear boxes are how much torque they can take. an f15 will take aprx 150NM, an f20 will take aprx 200, an f28 will take 280nm etc etc.
    IIRC LET puts out just over 200nm so theres a good chance an f20 will go wrong if used with a let. If you wish to save weight and retain the 5 speed then consider better internals, gonna cost you lots for a quaife item but youl reap the benefits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the F20 was fine to use on an LET then why did Vauxhall go to the bother of fitting it with the F28 ?!?
    If your gonna do the job, you may as well do it properly !!

Rich

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by R1CH
    If the F20 was fine to use on an LET then why did Vauxhall go to the bother of fitting it with the F28 ?!?
    If your gonna do the job, you may as well do it properly !!

Rich
    Possibly because they needed a 4wd gearbox?

I agree with Loggyboy to an extent, that fitting stronger internals is a very good idea, but there is plenty of evidence to suggest that an F20 will handle a LET provided the driver isnt interested in full boar launches or digital gearchanges. Obviously if you start boosting it up, the F20 is going to start to struggle, but again, i will use Dave Marshalls as an example. Hes running Courtenay CS2 software, producing approx 245 bhp, hes run it at the pod and Shakespear county on numerous occasions this year, as well as a couple of track days, not to mention its a road car so gets abuse on road as well, and all he runs is a standard F20 and a quaife ATB.

To cut what will probably be a long arguement short, if you dont think you can operate a bit of restraint whilst driving, and dont care about the extra weight up front, get an F28. Simple as that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bottlethroddy
    Possibly because they needed a 4wd gearbox?
    Didn't they already have one in the Cav GSi 4x4 !?!?!?!

Rich
    Last edited by R1CH; 29-11-06 at 02:38 PM.