Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: more grip on front tires or rears ?

Senior User
    St. Asaph Drives: Honda S2000 Drives: Passat TDi Drives: 106GTi Drives: 106XLD Drives: Swb Transit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

new ones on the rear...

then move them to the front when the fronts are worn and fit new ones on the back again

you allways want more grip at the back

i can steer, brake and accelerate the front... cant do that with the back if i loose it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova
    i can steer, brake and accelerate the front... cant do that with the back if i loose it
    Yeah but if you loose grip on the front you've lost the control wheels? If you lose grip on the back you've still got control of the wheels that steer, power, brake etc...

User Premium User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default re:

Understeer is easier to control than oversteer.

Best tyres on the rear, good tyres on the front.

Senior User
    St. Asaph Drives: Honda S2000 Drives: Passat TDi Drives: 106GTi Drives: 106XLD Drives: Swb Transit
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Razorjack
    Quote Originally Posted by Ste_Nova
    Yeah but if you loose grip on the front you've lost the control wheels? If you lose grip on the back you've still got control of the wheels that steer, power, brake etc...
    yes but you can get control back by adjusting steering and power/brakes...... can't get the back back that easily

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am a big fan of grip on the front, i.e new tyres on the front.

In the snow we just had i had P6000 on my astra SXi which were bare minimum and were really crap in the snow understeering all over the place and lost a hell of a lot of contol over the car. I went out and got some Dunlop SP 01's on the front. Gave me a lot more grip on the front and left p6000's on the back. Now i can drive a lot better in the snow with the additional grip and the back end can still slides about, coming off a roundabout, my back end kicks out, i correct it no problem, before when my front end kicks out, there you have problems. For me persoanlly in a FWD car i want all my grip at the front, the back wheels will follow the front.... If they dont slight correction will sort things out, in understeer you have a lot more problems.

Its the same when i'm racing (nova in autocross) I will change the front tyres for maximum traction, grip etc. The back i leave, in most cases i prefer the back to slide. In a RWD it will probablys be different i dont know, but for me, i will always put the newest, best & grippiest on the front.... sorry just my 2p worth.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

mud and snow is the only time i run more grip at the front

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Copper stoppewd me a few weeks back and told me to put new tyres on the rear.
    I understand the pros of that, however accidents mainly happen when u cant stop in time.

Id argue that not only is it easier to control a rear end slide than it is to cadance brake or control front end slide, but its more likely that having good front end grip would save/aid you in an emergency situation.

the argument for having new ones fitted to the rear maybe stronger if its RWD or 4WD car. but only sightly. Braking and steering is still done at front, and theyre two most important fucntions performed by the tyres

I will always have my best tyres at the front.

years ago i even used to balance them with the best tyre being on the front N/S and worst being on the Rear N/s - so i could induce lift off more ::