Thread: Fitting skirts

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fitting skirts

Im going to be fitting my GSi skirts to the nova within this next week and im wanting them on properly.

Question is which is the best way of doing this with the least amount of risk to the car? Always read that if you drill holes in the car then rust could come through, would bonding them on be a better idea? There's also the point that if i screw clips on then that shell will always have to have skirts fitted. I have got them bolted underneath and instead of using clips i was just going to put blobs of tigerseal on, is this a stupid idea?

Can you still get the clips from Vauxhall, i remember a few years ago you could for a few pence each and iirc they are the same as corsa skirt clips and probably most others?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I'd screw or pop rivit the clips onto the sills, Aslong as you dont leave bare metal one you have drilled the holes you will be fine,

For those who suggest putting holes in metal causes rust then I guess they must have bonded on bumpers ,
    The clips are still avalible and also on eBay at inflated prices
    success is only limited by a weak mind

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

personally, i fixed them with self tappers, but the skirts are nasty rust traps anyway, so my old A reg still rotted its sills out. i won't fit any to my g reg

Senior User Club Member scorge01's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with bazil on this as its the proper way and wouldn't want blobs of tiger seal but each to there own I did this to my mk1years ago I drillers the holes where they go then used a touch up pen to red oxide the holes then same again to do them white then I found small pop rivets that had the centre pin alloy but the part around was plastic so wouldn't break paint and never had a rust problem still know the car and there still not rusty as its off road in bits as most Novas are.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried tigerseal and other adhesives, none of them stayed on, the skirts fell off within a couple of days under their own weight.

Mark it, drill it, self tappers, adhesive on the rear fin. You can remove them easily then to check for rust in 6 months but I reckon it'll be OK.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tigersealed mine on about 2 years ago. Never had a problem and they are well and truley on there.

Left them to dry propped up with bricks overnight.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like i'll be using the clips then Lol. It's no problem to do, always found it easy to on my old novas, just wanted to check first to see which way is best

Good point about being able to remove them and check behind them as well. I'll go down vauxhall and get some, think they were 14p each last time and ebay charged £20 for 10

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clips are pennies from vauxhall , its the little blind rivets that hold on clips that are expensive think i have enough rivets left over to do a car if needed

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should add my attempt was trying to tigerseal the clips on, and not the skirts to the body which would probably work better, albeit a daft idea.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wasnt going to tigerseal the clips on I can't see that working well. I'll get some clips and do it the proper way. Cheers guys.