Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Maroon 1.6 GSI Road & Track Project

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Maroon 1.6 GSI Road & Track Project - Daewoo Turbo Install

Here's my latest vehicular purchase, having moved back away from my Mk3 Astra GSI rep, I'm now back in a Nova, and so glad.

This one has a few small niggles, but essentially its how I want it already, which leaves tinkering down to engine-bay.

As can be seen from the photo, the rear end is way too low (exaggerated by being parked on the hill mind) and the front wing is the slightest shade different colour to the rest of the car (badly matched paint repair iirc).

At the moment its running pretty standard spec, Gmax shocks and springs with 256s, 1.6 8V standard E16SE, and a stainless exhaust with a 4 branch.

However, I'm getting back into hillclimbing next season and have been pondering what to do about class structures. With the increasing popularity of small engine turbocharged cars competing in the up to 2000cc classes successfully, I started looking around at our small block turbo options. Rules state that the engine MUST be externally identifiable as factory fitted but otherwise anything goes within the class structures (as far as I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong if anyone knows). I do need to dig out the blue book and see what it says as per manufacturer, and whether GM would cover it or it has to be a Vauxhall engine.

X14XE is a big...big job to Turbocharge, and requires lowering of compression/forged internals etc etc to get right, and I dont have the time or budget.

However, the F14D3 engine from the Daewoo Kalos (similar to 14XE) already has a compression ratio of 9.5:1, and I have read many success stories and seen countless threads documenting the silly power these small block Daewoo engines can make standard (see MigWeb for the guy making 300+ on a 1.5 8v)

Engine management will be Megasquirt, my first foray into standalone management so I'm going for the most documented for the DIYer, I understand it's not the perfect solution but it'll do for the job and on the budget I'm aiming for.

Despite leaving the internals standard, I'll be fitting ARPs to both rods and flywheel just for peace of mind. Apparently some diesel headbolts can be shortened and are much stronger than standard petrol headbolts, need to find the info on that again.

Manifold. I'm led to believe, and have photo evidence somewhere, that the Honda D Series turbo manifolds available on eBay have the closest port spacing possible to match with the manifold flange of the Daewoo engine (which means this also applies to 14/16XE as the exhausts are near identical). They're cheap but I'll be checking it over and having the correct flange welded on anyway, so its a pay off worth taking.

This configuration is one I've been reading about and researching for months, and as far as I can find noone has turbocharged this specific engine and documented it before, so it's a bit unknown. But if the performance of the other engines in the Daewoo family are anything to go by I'm hoping for a safe 200hp when mapped properly running a T3.

If I manage 200hp that will be enough, clutches and boxes will start to disintegrate rapidly after that. What are the best options for an uprated clutch for the small block 16v?

I'm on the lookout for an engine now, and the first job will be modifying the manifold to suit the Daewoo head. A local guy makes 16v exhaust flanges already so I'm set for one of those.

Before anyone says "200 hp from a 1.4 is going to throw rods for counties" etc etc have a look at what people around the world are somehow managing with these small block Daewoo engines. The compression ratio is suitable, the engines have done it many times before, and with standalone it shouldn't be too difficult to achieve. How long it lasts is another matter, but if it blows it blows, Daewoo engines aren't exactly expensive and if the first engine works well, it would be worth considering strengthened internals for the rebuild.

I have a decent reason for doing this (hillclimb class structure), and to many, this would seem like a bit of a waste of time and money, it's going to cost the same as a LET. But I could fit a LET and I would then be thrown in a class against my own dad, with a 350kg Sports Libra with 180hp GSXR engine and 0-60 in about 3.2, so that's pointless.
    Last edited by matt_vaughan; 06-12-14 at 05:19 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds very interesting, I will be keeping an eye out on this!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sounds very interesting indeed Matt, nice to see you've got another nova and your planning something a little different, sure I saw your car in Keighley the other day.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres a number of rallycars running the 14XE in normally aspirated form with close to 200bhp so the engines are capable albeit expensive.

F20 box is easily fitted to a smallblock - shafts are the problem but overcomable and should be strong enough for the torque produced but a better CWP (4.2, 4.5 or 4.8) will help a lot too.

Paul..

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can make you a tubular manifold if you supply the daewoo flange.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice to see a diffrent project for a change keep it up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea sounds interesting. Followed

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looked nice this car when I saw it the other week, Maccy Ds for lunch Matt... Hope it was a healthy one

Club Member Club Member dgbnova#1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds interesting and well researched good on you for going a different route

what are you planing for the turbo side of the conversion

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking forward to some updates. Looks a good base!