Thread: First WIP and a slow one.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First WIP and a slow one.

Hi there, as promised I've taken pics of my Nova Merit 1.2, before we get started I want to just say a few things.

1) I know the paint is bad previous owners decided to rattle can over red paint with no primer/lacquer/ or even sanding.
    2) There will be no LET's/turbos/jet engines or w/e as its a first car and I want to have some cheapish insurance.
    3) As said in the title it will be slow, perhaps painful to some of you guys but I got to college mon-thurs 9-4 and by the time I get home and get around to doing the car I have about 1-2 hours of light left MAX. I don't have a unit/garage so all work will have to be done on the driveway.
    4) Im here for advice and to share my project with you. Not slatings or bad comments. Constructive/Supported or don't bother posting at all. Im on a budget about as tight as a nun's moo moo so I can't be flashing the cash about and buying things left right and centre.

OK now we have that done... PIC TIME! :

Excuse the shoddy primer this was again done before the car was in my possession. Purple stuff is rust treatment comming through as they only decided to put on 1 coat of primer by the looks of things. Both bumpers are being smoothed out but ran out of filler on the front

In the process on de-wiper/de-handling (Any advice on flushing the boot off completely, taking out number plate recess?) Back bumper smooth as a baby's bum.

First signs of rust OH NOES!

Inner arches look clean at the mo (same kinda story all round), will need cleaning up and a proper inspection though

OK moving on to engine bay

Worst bit of rust spotted so far (Advice on what to do here?) It's on the X member

Bit more rust

Underneath the car

De-locked passenger door, driver side to be done awaiting solenoids first though

Would get interior pics but as you can see here, I cant get in

So... What you think, plans are finish off bodywork (Including rusty bits), get new set of GTE skirts as you can see mine were ripped off . Resprayed back to red like it says on the logbook (and i like red Novas) set of alloys and other bits and bobs.

Thanks for looking

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks not bad, seen worse. replace the x member pal. become a member on here (paid up) and you will get a discount at beavers

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where you apply filler it should be on bare metal, when filling anything you really wanna weld in a plate first. Then use a little filler as poss.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only filled the bumpers and they were sanded right back. Trying to get hold of a new lower front panel with X member but have no idea of how to replace tbh. Any help or poitns in the right direction to buy one/fit one?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good project you have yourself there fella, I was in that sort of state with my red Nova

Take your time with it and cut out all rot and replace or plate where needed

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well again never welded etc this is my first project of this scale (usually do motorbikes) but any advice/tutorials etc on how to do these kinds of things would be a great help.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a wee look through my WIP thread - Not very well documented but I tried my best:

http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87376

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks but how much did all your welding cost if you dont mind me asking.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It was done by my mate's Dad who done it on the cheap - I think it worked out to be about £150 all in

Full front panel replaced, front inner wings tidied up, passenger sill replaced, back beam replaced

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, well my sills are still fine, back beam is ok isnt it? should just be the front lower panel and x member or is it better to replace the whole front. God I hate not knowing any welders/body finishers.