PDA

View Full Version : F1 Thread...

Pages : [1] 2

Pistol Pete
25-03-11, 08:23 PM
Seeing as there are a few F1 fans on here, maybe this could be the thread for F1 talk.

Season starts 7am sunday morning. Whos getting up?

Jenson Button was fastest in second practice today, with Lewis in second.

Whos going to do the business this year then??

Calamity Josh
25-03-11, 08:27 PM
I will be watching! And i can't wait for be at Belgium for the f1 in October :d

Pistol Pete
25-03-11, 08:33 PM
Belgium is the 28th of August. If you go in October you might be abit late!

And you havent voted!

Hobbit
25-03-11, 08:33 PM
as much as it pains me to say it I think the German will do it. Hope one of the Brits does it though.

Pistol Pete
25-03-11, 08:34 PM
I think Vettel will be brimming with confidence after winning it last year. Having said that Webber had a good season bar a few mistakes.

Hobbit
25-03-11, 08:35 PM
And the new tyres might play into Jensons hands as he's easier on his rubber.

Oh and Vettel will take poll, he was much faster in 1st practice when they were using the new flappy rear wing more.

Southie
25-03-11, 08:45 PM
I hope Button sorts himself out this year and I'd like Schknacker to be more competitive this year.

I'll be watching the rerun later on as I want a lie in lol

General Baxter
25-03-11, 08:47 PM
remember the clocks go sunday aswell lol

Southie
25-03-11, 08:48 PM
Forwards don't they ;)

Edd
25-03-11, 08:50 PM
I hope Hamilton wins it

I'll be getting up :d

Pistol Pete
25-03-11, 08:51 PM

lol well remembered! Spring forward, fall back!

Calamity Josh
25-03-11, 09:07 PM
Sorry, i meant august and i voted for button as he has tonnes of tallent and i think last year was just an unlucky one

nova_saloon
25-03-11, 09:42 PM
urrgh Jenson Button. my misses adores him!

MK999
25-03-11, 09:49 PM
No Heidfeld option? :p

mowgli
25-03-11, 10:11 PM
the cleverest man in f1 will win.... and my money is on Alonso.

Pistol Pete
25-03-11, 10:12 PM
No. Because you have more chance of pissing on the moon than him winning the WDC.

Pistol Pete
25-03-11, 10:12 PM
the cleverest man in f1 will win.... and my money is on Alonso.

Should that not say the one who cheats the most??!! lol :p ;)

mowgli
25-03-11, 10:31 PM
Should that not say the one who cheats the most??!! lol :p ;)

if i thought schumacher had a chance, i'd have put his name...

this year is about brains not talent, and if scheming makes for a champion, then so be it..

blue_peg_16v
25-03-11, 10:39 PM
alonso would get my vote this year dont like the guy but think he will win it especialy having the rear gunner of massa (havent they removed the team orders rule for this season), hope im wrong and a mclaren takjes it.

also think schui will have a better season this year with a car that has been designed for his style of driving, hes regularly out paced rosberg in testing and by a good margin at times

mowgli
25-03-11, 10:53 PM
i really hope schumi starts showing the talent of old, but i think he has got far more work to do. back in the day, he had the best tech team, tyres made for him, and then his unique driving style, and unlimited testing, meant that he was utterly dominant..the other teams have caught up massively. i'll be up early on sunday.

wwmnw
25-03-11, 10:53 PM
I'm a McLaren fan, love their road cars and F1 cars and I'm hoping to see Button do something this year :d I think (hope) it'll be close between Button Hamilton and Alonso.

mowgli
25-03-11, 10:56 PM
I'm a McLaren fan, love their road cars and F1 cars and I'm hoping to see Button do something this year :d I think (hope) it'll be close between Button Hamilton and Alonso.

we park some of aur trucks at the mira test track complex.. there have been quite a few new mclaren road cars up there recently.. they look nice.

wwmnw
25-03-11, 10:59 PM
we park some of aur trucks at the mira test track complex.. there have been quite a few new mclaren road cars up there recently.. they look nice.

I don't like the look of the new one that much, but it sounds nice, shame it doesn't have the performance of the old F1/XP1/GTR.

Get pictures for me next time :dlol

mowgli
25-03-11, 11:02 PM
I don't like the look of the new one that much, but it sounds nice, shame it doesn't have the performance of the old F1/XP1/GTR.

Get pictures for me next time :dlol

you'll find that it will pretty much outperform the old f1gtr on everything except top speed.. its handling is as good as anything on the market. then there will be the upgrades that will come later.

as for pics.. if i take a pic in mira, i risk getting arrested, and getting evicted from our parking, so no pics..

Edd
25-03-11, 11:04 PM
Schumacher drove his heavily assisted car into people to win races lol

Now it's down to driver only he's no where, he won't do anything this season IMO

Really hope McLaren get it together this season

wwmnw
25-03-11, 11:12 PM
you'll find that it will pretty much outperform the old f1gtr on everything except top speed.. its handling is as good as anything on the market. then there will be the upgrades that will come later.

as for pics.. if i take a pic in mira, i risk getting arrested, and getting evicted from our parking, so no pics..

Yeah I imagined it would out handle the old ones, considering they were made in the early 90's and technology has progressed a lot since then, but the old ones are still the best in my opinion.

Ah, I didn't think there would be consequences that severe for taking pics.

mowgli
25-03-11, 11:13 PM
i've been following the pre season testing with great interest, the mclaren has some very clever exhaust stuff going on.. the pirelli tyre degradation is certainly very interesting.. but mclaren managed to look terrible at all the tests & never managed a decent time on any day. then turn up in OZ and are flying..... ron dennis was always dismissive of winter testing times, and how they rarely showed true pace. mclaren have got some incredible simulation equipment, they have drivetrain/suspension rigs, cfd computers, etc. their manager, martin whitmarsh is from the aerospace industry and they have been decades ahead on sim stuff.... i think they went to testing just to double check their in house figures. in season testing is banned, so they have to do something else, and i think pre-season testing is of limited value these days. let the fun begin.

Edd
25-03-11, 11:18 PM
McLaren said they had to change the floor and exhaust after testing

I was very pleased after practice today as I did think they would be playing catch up again this season

All the drivers are moaning about the pirelli tyres wearing quickly but they were asked to make them that way so to make more pit stops

mowgli
25-03-11, 11:22 PM
but did they??? williams always used to sandbag at the tests, then come the first race...they'd disappear over the horizon. i think mclaren did something similar.

Edd
25-03-11, 11:27 PM
Oh yeah there is that

But what's the point ? The hardly did any laps for one reason or another

Hobbit
25-03-11, 11:27 PM
yeah McLaren ditched the funky exhaust and have copied red bull's one,

MK999
26-03-11, 12:14 AM
No. Because you have more chance of pissing on the moon than him winning the WDC.

I think Heidfeld will be surprise front runner of the season ;) Most likely not championship winner, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up above some of the drivers you put in the poll.

Willams will also do well on the circuits with high speed corners and the more twisty tracks, less so anywhere where top speed is important.

Ferrari will lose out to Red Bull in the constructors championship, with either Vettel or Webber as champion depending on DNF's/incidents and mclaren will flop again.

My predictions lol

MK999
26-03-11, 01:40 PM
It would appear I am backing the wrong Renault driver and chose the wrong 'quick' team to flop lol

blue_peg_16v
26-03-11, 02:24 PM
heidfeld was cack last season when standing in at sauber and i think there were better drivers on the market renault could of had hulkenburg would of been a much better option

Connor
26-03-11, 02:40 PM
My heart say hamilton, but my head says webber.
And i have no reason why lol

Keif
26-03-11, 05:56 PM
heidfeld was cack last season when standing in at sauber and i think there were better drivers on the market renault could of had hulkenburg would of been a much better option

They wanted an experienced F1 driver, which Hulkenburg isn't.

It'll be Vettel again.

Edd
27-03-11, 08:42 AM
Cracking race !!

Well worth getting up for

Hope Hamilton doesn't get a penalty or any crap because of the problem with the under plank

DRS looks crap tho lol

mowgli
27-03-11, 12:28 PM
agreed on drs, button was all over massa back end trying everything to get by. it was a pity about the penalty... those saubers with last years ferrari back end were seriously kind to the tyres.. petrov proved he aint a pay driver... all told, it was worth watching.

Connor
27-03-11, 12:33 PM
yay good result for my fantasy f1 team with uni.
hope hamilton doesn't get raped for his under tray problems

MK999
27-03-11, 02:53 PM
I believe I have the wrong Renault driver in my fantasy F1 lol

Keif
28-03-11, 07:05 PM
those saubers with last years ferrari back end were seriously kind to the tyres.

but they've been disqualified for technical infringements on their cars, Following post-race checks, the Melbourne stewards decided that both Sauber C30s were in breach of technical rules in relation to their rear wings. The team plan to appeal the decision.

honie5
28-03-11, 07:16 PM
I think this year will be closest for a long time! I hope Hamilton but they were rubbish pre season so hopefully will be all ironed out not think it will be between red bull and mclaren mind! I've got tickets for my 21st to go see at silverstone caaaant wait!

mowgli
28-03-11, 07:43 PM
but they've been disqualified for technical infringements on their cars, Following post-race checks, the Melbourne stewards decided that both Sauber C30s were in breach of technical rules in relation to their rear wings. The team plan to appeal the decision.

lets play 'guess who protested the wings?'.......

who gained the most by their exclusion....thats right kids, ferrari......

Keif
28-03-11, 07:52 PM
Don't think anyone complained, it was a case of normal scrutineering at the end of every race.

mowgli
28-03-11, 07:56 PM
its funny how the wings were fine for scrutineering, practice, qualifying & the start of the race.....

are you aware that most of the photographers at an f1 race are actually employed by race teams & their lenses actually have calibration/size lines on them?

and ferrari have history of sticking in a protest when & if it suits them....

Andy_L
28-03-11, 07:57 PM
agreed on drs, button was all over massa back end trying everything to get by. it was a pity about the penalty... those saubers with last years ferrari back end were seriously kind to the tyres.. petrov proved he aint a pay driver... all told, it was worth watching.

JB was a tool following Massa IMHO. Massa was driving uber defensively and JB is following him across the track. Should have stuck to the racing line IMHO and focused on quicker exits out of the corners. Plus he as never super aggresive and tried to stuff it down the inside. A Mansell or a Senna would have cleared him in a couple of laps I reckon.

I thought actually was a rubbish race, promised a lot delivered very little.

I did love Lauda's comments about the DRS. A legend. :cool:

P.S Anyone see BBC 4 last night at 8pm? They had the last 18 world champions at Abu Dhabi for the build up to 2010 season opener. Was good to watch - may have been a repea though :confused:

Edd
09-04-11, 11:55 PM
Anyone else watch qualifying ?

I thought it was pretty good tbh

Nice to see the McLaren's matching the RedBulls :d

Schu was crap again tho, should never of come back IMO

I reckon the DRS will be good tomorrow, as the window is on the back straight drivers will open the rear wing then press the KERS button and sail on by lol

mowgli
10-04-11, 08:08 AM
ross brawn is too busy counting his money these days...........

seriously, when brawn gp won the 2009 championship, they ran out of resources by august, so last years car was rushed, and rubbish.. then they tried to get clever with this years car, and i think they are right when they say they are still learning it.

i did think that mclaren would be right up at the front. for years they have not shown all their speed at the tests.

Keif
10-04-11, 09:06 AM

His DRS (moveable rear wing) failed. It was stuck half open, which was stalling the rear wing, giving reduced rear grip.

Car fault, not driver. ;)

Stuart
10-04-11, 09:15 AM
Tried this 'race', bored of F1 already... So back to hating it bar the pre 2000 stuff lol

wwmnw
10-04-11, 10:45 AM
Anyone else watch qualifying ?

I thought it was pretty good tbh

Nice to see the McLaren's matching the RedBulls :d

I reckon the DRS will be good tomorrow, as the window is on the back straight drivers will open the rear wing then press the KERS button and sail on by lol

Last time I had time to watch the F1 the RBR cars were pretty naff, David Coulthard got a podium in one but at that time it was the only podium they got lol shows how long its been since I've had chance to watch it :(

maddogdaz666
10-04-11, 11:43 AM
what times the race today then?

mowgli
10-04-11, 11:44 AM
erm.... it was at 9am

Keif
10-04-11, 11:45 AM
Urm. program started at 8am, race started at 9am.

Re shown at 1:45pm BBC1

maddogdaz666
10-04-11, 11:47 AM
cheers,
i was fast asleep at 9am! who in their right mind would wake up at that time on a sunday!!:wtf: Day of rest, ive been awake about 1 hour.lol

Keif
10-04-11, 11:50 AM
You tell my 10month old that.

maddogdaz666
10-04-11, 12:32 PM
lol my 4 year old stops friday nights so im up at 8 saturdays, but i can lay in sunday mornings,

PVG
10-04-11, 12:54 PM
Heard an interesting rumour in the week. 2012 Mark Webber retires, Lewis Hamilton moves to Red Bull and Kobiashi or Paul Di Resta to partner Jenson at McLaren :wtf:

Keif
10-04-11, 12:56 PM
As drives aren't decided until the last few races and in the close season.

That'll be just that. A rumour!

Edd
10-04-11, 02:45 PM
McLaren fook right up pitting Hamilton to early on the second stint

Then cock alonso drives into the back of him :roll:

Then he just seemed to go all to pieces :confused:

Good drive from button tho

And I'm really starting to like koybiashi's overtaking lol

Southie
10-04-11, 04:05 PM
Roll on next season IMO, major engine changes will spice the racing up.

Today was very tedious a bit like a few years back, I hate this Kers rubbish btw.

Edd
10-04-11, 04:17 PM
Hamilton and scum Alonso have now got 20 seconds added on

Hamilton for to many moves when scum tried to overtake him

Alonso for smashing into the back of Hamilton

wwmnw
11-04-11, 12:09 AM
Who won?

Hobbit
11-04-11, 01:06 AM
Pretty boring race but Petrov's off was :cool:

http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p72/wiggardywoo/petrov.jpg

Stuart
11-04-11, 08:45 AM
Hamilton for to many moves when scum tried to overtake him

Alonso for smashing into the back of Hamilton

WTF!!!!!

The bar-stewards need to look back at some 70's/80's/90's RACING! to see that in order to stop someone passing you, you waeve and be a pain, and as for hitting eachother, again look at similar footage lol

Thats why post 2000 F1 is dire.

Ben
11-04-11, 08:51 AM
lol @ ecclestones comments, as long as they dont change the sound of the cars, its not your ****ing personal playset! (well it is but still)

Edd
11-04-11, 08:59 AM
Senile bernie really needs to jack it in IMO

Only a few weeks ago he wanted sprinklers on every track to make it rain lol

MK999
11-04-11, 02:12 PM
WTF!!!!!

The bar-stewards need to look back at some 70's/80's/90's RACING! to see that in order to stop someone passing you, you waeve and be a pain, and as for hitting eachother, again look at similar footage lol

Thats why post 2000 F1 is dire.

If you allowed that on current cars you may as well just run qualifying and 50 odd parade laps under yellows, it's hard enough to overtake without the guy in front using the whole track.

mowgli
11-04-11, 02:20 PM
so what about schumacher trying to murder rubens last year????? its funny how when schumi was in a red car, he did more weaving that a woolly jumper factory, but it was ok.... then soon as somebody does it to a red car, protest city...

as for bernie's comments.. i can see what he means, i was at the silverstone 1000km, the fastest cars were the td's, they sounded like buses, the slower cars were screaming round making the spectacle. as for the wet track idea.. he has a point in that rain always makes for a crazy race.... but every time they try to limit the cars, the teams come up with clever stuff to beat it. the tyre degradation of these pirellis is clever though, cos he who runs fastest won't always win....

my crazy idea would be for the fia to supply 4 standard front & rear wing sets ready painted for each team's cars on the morning of the 1st practice

NavNova
11-04-11, 05:27 PM
my crazy idea would be for the fia to supply 4 standard front & rear wing sets ready painted for each team's cars on the morning of the 1st practice

The only rule change that they need is to start the cars in reverse championship order at each race. The championship leader would start last and have to overtake like crazy to get some good points.

Andy
11-04-11, 05:48 PM
so let me get this straight,you get fined for defending your position and trying to overtake? LOL the "sport" is a joke,just a big fat advertising campaign these days.Boring.

Hobbit
11-04-11, 05:53 PM
You can make one defending move you just cant weave

Stuart
11-04-11, 05:56 PM
You can make one defending move you just cant weave

They (rule makers) do know its a race dont they?

Andy
11-04-11, 05:58 PM
Exactly,ive said it for ages now,that "race" is won either at the start or in the pits.

Ben
11-04-11, 06:00 PM
Exactly,ive said it for ages now,that "race" is won either at the start or in the pits.

Thats right strategy wins the race not the car or the driver!

Stuart
11-04-11, 06:05 PM
Might aswell have the race done in F1 Manager lol

Ben
11-04-11, 06:07 PM
I kick ass at F1 2010!

Pistol Pete
11-04-11, 08:57 PM
Wasnt the most of exciting races TBH. Hamiltons penalty doesnt really seem justified. And as much as it pains me to say it, neither does Alonsos.

I do feel that a review of the rules is in order. lol as Andy says, getting a penalty for defending is laughable. And they wanted racing, having this rule prevents it!!!

IMO, drive of the day should go to Webber. Piss poor start and a KERs system that didnt work (therefore having to lug excess weight around) and making 4 (IIRC) stops, not a bad result.

Good result for Jenson too.

mowgli
12-04-11, 03:09 PM

they actually use former racers as stewards, and there is a committee of them. they advise the race director.

Andy
12-04-11, 03:18 PM
years of petrol fumes have obviously done their brain cells in

mowgli
12-04-11, 03:27 PM
no, giving people who are used to pushing the rules, the power to hand them down is always a bad idea.. imagine if ex players were allowed to referee top footy games... it would be 5 a side within ten minutes.

MK999
12-04-11, 03:27 PM
Weaving is detrimental to racing, it prevents overtaking rather than promoting it which is what the sport needs. It's also a mechanic by which a far worse driver can keep someone much faster behind them. Hamilton was penalised for weaving very slightly as he's well known for it.

As for penalising alonso, causing accidents and driving dangerously has always been penalised

Stuart
12-04-11, 04:17 PM
Weaving is detrimental to racing, it prevents overtaking rather than promoting it which is what the sport needs. It's also a mechanic by which a far worse driver can keep someone much faster behind them. Hamilton was penalised for weaving very slightly as he's well known for it.

As for penalising alonso, causing accidents and driving dangerously has always been penalised

Yes but in a race, if you happen to pass the 'faster' driver by whatever means you have done, then you should be well within your rights to defend that spot (aside from murder lol) by any means necessary...

MK999
12-04-11, 04:22 PM
Yes but in a race, if you happen to pass the 'faster' driver by whatever means you have done, then you should be well within your rights to defend that spot (aside from murder lol) by any means necessary...

Unfortunately in the case of F1 it's a lot easier though... to the point of being unfair, long wheelbases for high speed stability, masses of downforce and the precise driving required, you just can't take odd lines and fight for a place like you can in tintop racing or the older more crude F1 cars of the 80's/90's

mowgli
12-04-11, 04:27 PM
like i said previously, fit all cars with the same front & rear wings made by a single supplier. its the only way to control the aero. if you control the aero, you control the downforce, then mechanical grip is more important, then cars will be able to race off line better... but this year, the fia has made yet another rod for their own backs, by creating DRS, to aid kers powered overtaking, and then arranged for a spec tyre that leaves loads of marbles all over the track, so limiting anyones chances of flying up the inside & making an overtake stick... grrrrrrr

Stuart
12-04-11, 04:51 PM
Unfortunately in the case of F1 it's a lot easier though... to the point of being unfair, long wheelbases for high speed stability, masses of downforce and the precise driving required, you just can't take odd lines and fight for a place like you can in tintop racing or the older more crude F1 cars of the 80's/90's

and there we have it... 80's and 90's F1 was about the best imho. Bring back that setup but with modern budget and engineering.

MK999
12-04-11, 04:57 PM
and there we have it... 80's and 90's F1 was about the best imho. Bring back that setup but with modern budget and engineering.

Modern engineering and budget leads to better downforce, better understanding of track width:wheelbase ratios and hence the newer cars... it'd also completely kill off the attraction if you took back development 20 years.

Hobbit
12-04-11, 05:01 PM
I think they should only be alowed to use KERS for overtaking like the DRS

MK999
12-04-11, 05:03 PM
I think they should only be alowed to use KERS for overtaking like the DRS

We've seen how quick red bull run without it dragging on the transmission full time though, if you made it less useful it just wouldn't be used, and it has a greater purpose than just being an F1 feature.

Andy
12-04-11, 05:07 PM
this is proper racing http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF0tZV49ZNA

Edd
12-04-11, 05:29 PM
^^ that's banger racing erm I mean touring cars not F1 tho lol

Last weeks F1 was crap hopefully China this weekend will be better

Andy
12-04-11, 05:32 PM
^^ that's proper racing erm I mean touring cars not F1 tho lol

Last decade's F1 was crap hopefully China this weekend will be better
edited for truths;)

Stuart
13-04-11, 07:53 AM
We've seen how quick red bull run without it dragging on the transmission full time though, if you made it less useful it just wouldn't be used, and it has a greater purpose than just being an F1 feature.

Yep, KERS needs initial proving in F1 to then come down the motorsport ladder and into OEM cars... I know Merc/AMG have an S class with a derivative fitted and feck its a lot faster now.
It can/will lead to some pretty mundane cars having pish tiny engines but with KERS to overtake/accelerate briskly meaning lower CO2 figures and all that toss.

mowgli
15-04-11, 01:41 PM
the williams flywheel thingy is doing quite well in a porsche gt3, endurance racer, it was reckoned to be worth approx 150hp.. sent to the front wheels when the throttle was pressed to full...

at the moment, for a production kers system, the batteries/capacitors would be cost prohibitive, like that sporty electric car you were sat in....

Edd
15-04-11, 02:13 PM
Anyone see today's practice ? I followed it on the App

Very very close between Vettel, Hamilton, Button and Rosberg

Looks like McLaren's new floor and exhaust parts are working well which is nice to see

Also was nice to see Alonso way back :d now Ferrari are not doing so well there on about pulling out of F1 lol

Andy_L
15-04-11, 02:33 PM
Anyone see today's practice ? I followed it on the App

Very very close between Vettel, Hamilton, Button and Rosberg

Looks like McLaren's new floor and exhaust parts are working well which is nice to see

Also was nice to see Alonso way back :d now Ferrari are not doing so well there on about pulling out of F1 lol

Um no. Both Hamilton and JB do not believe the parts are an improvement.

Edd
15-04-11, 02:40 PM
^^ really ? There closer to him but dont like them ? :tard:

Info from where ?

mowgli
15-04-11, 02:49 PM

did you ever see the ferrari indy car that was built but never ran???? it got ferrari loads more money from the fia....

enzo ferrari used to send NART (north american racing team) year old ferraris painted in blue to certain events if he thought the money wasn't good enough.....

pattern forming??? i think so...

people should stop putting too much thought into practice sessions.. the teams are working out tyre wear & fuel strategy & tweaking the race trim..... and it rarely show the same in qualifying

Edd
15-04-11, 02:58 PM
Yeah practice is nothing really because for all the set up work that's gone on Vettel could be holding back or the other way round with the McLaren's

Really hope someone can stop Vettel getting pole again tomorrow tho

88ESR
15-04-11, 03:50 PM
Yeah practice is nothing really because for all the set up work that's gone on Vettel could be holding back or the other way round with the McLaren's

Really hope someone can stop Vettel getting pole again tomorrow tho

Personally, I'd like to see JB P1 tomorrow, but sooner or later Heidfeld's Lotus Renault is going to pip the Red Bulls..

Andy_L
15-04-11, 03:50 PM
crash.net and bbc.co.uk

Edd
15-04-11, 03:58 PM
Repost ? :d

Andy_L
15-04-11, 04:08 PM
yes sorry not too good with the phone on the net.

88ESR
15-04-11, 09:33 PM
crash.net and bbc.co.uk

I like F1 Technical for info/news/etc...

Edd
17-04-11, 06:15 PM
Cracking race today

IMO one of the best Grand Prix's for years, shed loads of overtaking

Anyone who says F1 has become boring needs to watch this race

Today the new rules showed how exciting this season is going to be

Hamilton was awesome ! He did so many great overtakes

Gutting for Button but Webber done well to start 18th to finish 3rd

Nice to see that RedBull can be beaten, bring on the next race

88ESR
17-04-11, 06:27 PM
Yes, good race..

The Pirelli tyres are creating some interesting situations..

Some of the overtaking being simply the other guys tyres being shot and a simple drive past..

Shame about Jenson (tyres!) and what was he doing in the Red Bull pit box????

Roseberg suffered the same (tyre) fate..

Superb (angry) drive from Webber..

Typically aggressive drive from Lewis..

2011 WDC will probably be decided by tyre wear/strategy though..

Great, wheel-to-wheel stuff tho..

Like you say, bring on Turkey :thumb:

Bubba
17-04-11, 06:47 PM
was there any crashes?

88ESR
17-04-11, 06:48 PM
was there any crashes?

lol

A few minor scuffles & bumps..

This is F1 not Touring Cars..

F1 drivers are way to refined and talented to actually crash (into each other)lol lol lol

Bubba
17-04-11, 06:54 PM
lol

A few minor scuffles & bumps..

This is F1 not Touring Cars..

F1 drivers are way to refined and talented to actually crash (into each other)lol lol lol

maybe so...but it doesnt stop them crashing touring cars either. lol

88ESR
17-04-11, 07:02 PM
maybe so...but it doesnt stop them crashing touring cars either. lol

True..

On a slightly different note, can anyone tell me why so many people find it hard to acknowledge anything good that Jenson does?

I'm a member of several F1 forums and over the years you've had to bend their arms behind their backs to compliment Buttons achievements..

2009, perfect example..

Won those 6 races: Obviously the car, they said..

But the same posters (Ferrari fanboys weren't saying that when Schuey was kicking everyones backsides week after week)..

Now we have moved on and when Lewis does the business, it's down to his skill, etc (which is unquestionable) but if Jenson shines, it's luck, the car(!) or some other lame reason..

I know everyone has their favourite driver/team but it seems Button just gets a lot of negative stick...

Rant over :)

Edd
17-04-11, 07:08 PM
Button does seem to get stuck behind people quite often tho, I think that's where some negativity comes from

He's not aggressive as some drivers, and spectators love overtaking

Like today he didn't exactly put up much of a fight to Hamilton

He's still obviously a awesome driver but maybe comes across as a bit boring

88ESR
17-04-11, 07:16 PM
Button does seem to get stuck behind people quite often tho, I think that's where some negativity comes from

He's not aggressive as some drivers, and spectators love overtaking

Like today he didn't exactly put up much of a fight to Hamilton

He's still obviously a awesome driver but maybe comes across as a bit boring

I think Lewis caught Button napping a bit today and obviously had the better car (hahalol )..

No, fair point but remember how aggressive Button had to be in the latter part of 2009 to hang on to his title lead?

There were some truly awesome/insane overtakes...

No, my point was he is constantly knocked by a lot of people on the F! forums and it just bothers me..

Leading up to every GP weekend, the 'who's going to win this week?' poll generally has Alonso or Vettel streets ahead, then Lewis, Webber, etc and Button with about 6% of the vote!!!

Yet he's (mainly) up in the top finishers...

Anyway...lol

Pistol Pete
17-04-11, 08:53 PM
Awesome race today IMO. Great result for Hamilton, considering he nearly didnt make the start! So wanted JB to finish strong aswell. But was pleased for Webber. He has had the ****ty end of the stick so far this year, and today just got on with it! Fair play to him.

88ESR
17-04-11, 09:19 PM
But was pleased for Webber. He has had the ****ty end of the stick so far this year, and today just got on with it! Fair play to him.

Like I said earlier, an angry red-mist drive from Webber..

I don't however believe that Red Bull would deliberately give him duff machinery though, after all, it's the constructors championship that the team covets most..

WDC is the sweetner for the pilots..

Points make prizes!!!

Pistol Pete
01-06-11, 08:58 AM
bttt

Well Monaco was certainly interesting. 2 big accidents, at least both drivers are ok. And Petrov is ok after his crash.

IMO the tyre change ruling should be looked at. The changes 5 laps from the end spoilt what could have been an epic finish.

Hamilton...oh dear. Have always been a fan, but he makes it hard being one sometimes!! Just wish he would button it (no pun intended) and drive like we know he can.

mowgli
01-06-11, 09:20 AM
red flag should definitely be parc ferme rules.. the last 5 laps would have been incredible, if the tyres had all gone off, as predicted..

hamilton was just really unlucky in qualifying... nothing more, but all the drivers know that at monaco, if a car rear ends you, it will lose its nose, & you should be able to carry on, so they shut the door a bit quicker.

Pistol Pete
01-06-11, 09:30 AM
Yeah, qualifying did hurt him. I was kind of referring to the "black" comments made in the post race interview!!!

Massa has also spoke out saying something needs to be done about him. Tvvat.
He was at fault for the collision in the first place. MSC managed to pass LH there on the first lap. Obviously shows how some drivers have respect and know when they are beat. Massa needs to call it a day.

mowgli
01-06-11, 09:39 AM
massa is not doing well as the second fiddle at ferrari... but then if the car is setup for alonson, it will be nigh on undriveable for massa...
hamilton does get the red mist too often though.. and the 'black' joke was in piss poor taste, and the stewards didn't even get it...ron dennis always told lewis not to make his colour an issue, but ron isn't always there these days.

Pistol Pete
01-06-11, 09:53 AM
.. but then if the car is setup for alonson, it will be nigh on undriveable for massa...

See for me i dont buy that. Look at Mclaren for example. Everyone said Button would struggle as the car was set up for Lewis, blah blah blah...and he hasnt done too badly IMO. So surely the car can be set up for each driver. Massa hasnt been right since his accident. Look at Turkey. He has dominated at that track in the past, and this year he drove like a rookie!

With regards to the red flag thing, even Pirelli have called for change!!!

mowgli
01-06-11, 10:27 AM
when msc was at benetton, the car was built for him. and he left for ferrari, berger & alesi went to benetton & they really couldn't drive the car, yet they were regarded as good drivers..
mclaren simply run 2 seperate development programs for their drivers, but ferrari still builds the car for the star driver...

Pistol Pete
01-06-11, 10:31 AM
Hmmm, maybe thats why Ferrari have been "slow" this year. Not enough driver input?

Only downside to this season, as far as i can see, is that yet another german is going to run away with it. Or will he?? Blow diffusers might be canned after Silverstone.....

Dod
01-06-11, 10:46 AM
Personally I think Button is in with a good chance. Vettel is quick but doesnt know how to overtake, Webber is nothing but a gloating Bum and Hamilton is too unlucky.

Pistol Pete
01-06-11, 10:55 AM
Current standings (top 5)

1 - Sebastian Vettel - RBR-Renault - 143
2 - Lewis Hamilton - McLaren-Mercedes - 85
3 - Mark Webber - RBR-Renault - 79
4 - Jenson Button - McLaren-Mercedes - 76
5 - Fernando Alonso - Ferrari - 69

With more than 2 race wins between Vettel and Hamilton, i'd say it would be a tough job for ANYONE to catch Vettel now.

And Hamilton is (IIRC) the only driver who has taken the fight to Vettel so far this season.

But as i said previously, blown diffusers may well disappear (Red Bull make good use of this) so this might help drivers close the gap. Time will tell.

Hobbit
01-06-11, 11:24 AM
I felt robbed of a great race this weekend by them allowing a tyre change. I still say it'll be ze German for the win, he's too far ahead now :(

Keif
01-06-11, 11:39 AM
But as i said previously, blown diffusers may well disappear (Red Bull make good use of this) so this might help drivers close the gap. Time will tell.

The blown diffusers wont disappear this season, that's not what's being contested.

It's the fact that the ECU's are programmed to squirt fuel into the hot exhaust during corners, that then blow hot exhaust fumes over the rear diffuser during cornering, giving more downforce on corners.

It's more than likely that these will be banned before the end of the season, and then outlawed for future seasons. but a blown diffuser is still allowed.

Pistol Pete
01-06-11, 11:41 AM
I thought they were having a review of the blown diffusers after Silverstone?

Surely if the ECU program/fuelling is banned this removes the "blown diffuser"....

Keif
01-06-11, 11:48 AM
No, because the blown diffuser will still work "on" throttle.

It's the working "off" throttle that's being reviewed after Silverstone.

Pistol Pete
01-06-11, 11:59 AM
Ah, ok. Thanks for clearing that up lol

dhdev (Oli)
01-06-11, 12:20 PM
It's the fact that the ECU's are programmed to squirt fuel into the hot exhaust during corners, that then blow hot exhaust fumes over the rear diffuser during cornering, giving more downforce on corners.
That's F%$^in smart :cool:

Vettel most likely to win, would like to see Button win though.

Edd
01-06-11, 12:45 PM
I thought it was said in the commentary during the Monaco GP that the exhaust gases through corner stuff would be banned before Silverstone ?

The next race should be good in Canada, two DRS zones and long straights which don't suit the RedBulls

Keif
01-06-11, 12:57 PM
TBH most of the teams just want clarification if they're aloud or not. The FIA keep holding back on the decision. So who knows.

MK999
01-06-11, 01:02 PM
TBH most of the teams just want clarification if they're aloud or not. The FIA keep holding back on the decision. So who knows.

"Most" being those that don't benefit from it, obviously :p I think that statement is a little more 'innocent' than the actual situation lol

Loving the comment about Vettel not being able to overtake, you're right we've seen nearly no evidence of it this season. Then again he's started on pole 5 out of 6 races, won from second once, and 4 out of 6 he's lead the entire way.

Who would you like him to overtake?

Edd
01-06-11, 01:03 PM
Hope he doesnt end up being another Schu, I'll have to turn off for another 5/6 years lol

mowgli
01-06-11, 01:08 PM
Hope he doesnt end up being another Schu, I'll have to turn off for another 5/6 years lol

its doubtful.... when schu was all powerful, nobody else got close..... now there are a lot of good drivers & cars out there...

Pistol Pete
01-06-11, 01:19 PM
"Most" being those that don't benefit from it, obviously :p I think that statement is a little more 'innocent' than the actual situation lol

Loving the comment about Vettel not being able to overtake, you're right we've seen nearly no evidence of it this season. Then again he's started on pole 5 out of 6 races, won from second once, and 4 out of 6 he's lead the entire way.

Who would you like him to overtake?

All very true.....BUT, look at MSC. As was said in previous race commentry, he (MSC) is no goo at wheel to wheel combat. We have yet to see what Vettel would be like. Once the diffuser issue is resolved we may just see what he is like. And as said Canada is next. This may not suit the Red Bulls.

mowgli
01-06-11, 02:31 PM
anyone betting that the 'wall of champions' will gain another victim

Edd
01-06-11, 02:36 PM
Deffo ! With the new tyres degrading so quick someone will push too hard and be in the wall lol

Although Vettel is caining everyone it's still a very exciting season IMO with lots of action

The new rules are working well I reckon and the two DRS zones in Canada will be exciting :)

Keif
01-06-11, 09:55 PM
"Most" being those that don't benefit from it, obviously :p
Nope, its everyone.

No point a team who is running an "off" throttle blown diffuser then spending shedloads of time and money to tweek a system that may then be banned in a few races time. Then there are teams that have them lined up to run, but need to finalise them. Again no point if they'll be banned.

Resources can be spent elsewhere.

Vettel had overtaken too, with the pit stops he's not ran 1st all the time and in Spain made a few overtakes for position.

:thumb:

Edd
10-06-11, 04:02 PM
The 'Wall of champions' claims another victim

Vettel just smashed his car up in practice :d

General Baxter
10-06-11, 04:06 PM
again lol

Hobbit
11-06-11, 09:03 AM
The 'Wall of champions' claims another victim

Vettel just smashed his car up in practice :d

:( didn't look like it hurt... lol

Dod
11-06-11, 09:03 PM
****ing ****ing Vettel!!

Edd
12-06-11, 06:47 PM
Think Hamilton needs to re take his driving test lol

Not good from Lewis

Think that's the end of his 'great friendship' with button lol

Southie
12-06-11, 06:49 PM
It's a washout, suspended.

Bubba
12-06-11, 07:18 PM
It's a washout, suspended.

bunch of pussies imo

Dayle_
12-06-11, 07:53 PM
Its a bit damp! Should get them out on the slicks. Make it a bit more exciting!

Edd
12-06-11, 08:40 PM
Restart in 10 mins :) thank fook lol

Longest grand prix ever ?!

General Baxter
12-06-11, 08:44 PM
**** me, i hope i dont miss new family guy at 10 lol

Edd
12-06-11, 08:47 PM
**** me, i hope i dont miss new family guy at 10 lol
Think of all the poor people that have missed the Antiques Roadshow :eek: Flol

Adam
12-06-11, 09:08 PM
As if F1 wasnt boring enough lets have a safety car for 2 hours.
Yawn lol

Edd
12-06-11, 09:17 PM
Another safety car ffs

Button took Alonso off lol

There going to need headlights in a minute lol

scott.parker
12-06-11, 09:51 PM
wtf was that marshall doing? looked like a mr blobby scetch!

Adam
12-06-11, 09:53 PM
Just flicked it back on to find another safety car and some fat bloke doing some kind of break dance trying to professionally kick bits off the track in front of an oncoming f1 car :confused:

Edd
12-06-11, 10:00 PM
Epic stuff from Button !!!

Adam
12-06-11, 10:04 PM
Fair play to button.
Assuming he dont stack it

Longdogcharlie
12-06-11, 10:04 PM
go JB !!

scott.parker
12-06-11, 10:05 PM
that was awesome!

Adam
12-06-11, 10:06 PM
IIRC he was last after his punctuare/coming together with Alonso, with about 15laps to go?

Edd
12-06-11, 10:09 PM
Yep 21st and last

mowgli
12-06-11, 10:10 PM
well, anyone who calls f1 boring after the last 10 laps is blind, stupid or both....

jb has definitely been in every position at least once today.... and its damn good job his pit radio wasn't on as vettel went rallying on the last lap....

peester
12-06-11, 10:12 PM
cripes, crackers eh

paul james
12-06-11, 10:12 PM
That was the best race I've seen for a long time, they should should spray water on the tracks on sunny days too, much more fun!

88ESR
12-06-11, 10:18 PM
Fantastic!

Go JB...

And what about Schuey???

Tim Harpley
12-06-11, 10:22 PM
Jenson Button Pure Brilliance!
Shame about Lewis though.
Always been a big fan of Schuey great drive from him again.

General Baxter
12-06-11, 10:27 PM
race of the year

blue_peg_16v
12-06-11, 10:28 PM
Awsome drive by jb shame schui didn't get a podium

88ESR
12-06-11, 10:34 PM
Jenson Button Pure Brilliance!
Shame about Lewis though.
Always been a big fan of Schuey great drive from him again.

Yep ^^^

Hope this finally marks the 'real' return of MS...

Dayle_
12-06-11, 10:39 PM
I agree one of the best F1 races for a long time!

General Baxter
12-06-11, 10:39 PM
Hope this finally marks the 'real' return of MS...

he wont be, he was only there due to look,
if he wants to be up there again, hes going to need DRS,

blue_peg_16v
12-06-11, 10:41 PM
Ms had an awsome drive to say it was all luck is very tight

88ESR
12-06-11, 10:54 PM
he wont be, he was only there due to look,
if he wants to be up there again, hes going to need DRS,

I don't remember all those passes he made being as a result of luck??

That was a strong drive..

Damo
12-06-11, 10:56 PM
Apsolutely brilliant drive by Jenson today champions drive that.

Pete
12-06-11, 10:59 PM
What an amazing performance by JB, I couldn't believe it when vettel went off, the pace JB was making was staggering!!

Andy
12-06-11, 11:05 PM
Meanwhile,my front door frame second coat was drying.....

General Baxter
12-06-11, 11:51 PM

he threw away his zimerframe today, please bare that in mind lol

mowgli
12-06-11, 11:53 PM
andy, please just try and admit that there is the slightest possibility that 3 men racing wheel to wheel at up to 200mph in 600kg cars with 800hp might possibly be exciting and need way more skill & bravery than any other form of motorsport... or gtfo

General Baxter
12-06-11, 11:55 PM
mike, did you see the gp? lol

that was brave,

2 less wheels, weather was worse, and they kept it on track

Andy
12-06-11, 11:57 PM
andy, please just try and admit that there is the slightest possibility that 3 men racing wheel to wheel at up to 200mph in 600kg cars with 800hp might possibly be exciting and need way more skill & bravery than any other form of motorsport... or gtfo
haha we'll meet again mike,but +rep in 't meantime lol

Keif
13-06-11, 08:08 AM

More down to the weather conditions than luck.

Wet weather always evens the field out more. Getting the swap from full wets to intermediates and onto slicks right is crucial hence why Kamui Kobayashi was in second when it was red flagged.

Rosberg didn't get it right and ended up in 11th.

Stuart
13-06-11, 08:14 AM
I'm a big 'modern' F1 hater, but that was a truely fantastic and exciting race! (well ok the bit from 9pm onwards lol)

I'm thinking that F1 should be say 3 20 lap sprints with quali for two of them and the 3rd to be a bingo called grid..... Add water to one of the races randomly. I would watch it all the time then

Edd
13-06-11, 08:59 AM
More down to the weather conditions than luck.

Wet weather always evens the field out more. Getting the swap from full wets to intermediates and onto slicks right is crucial hence why Kamui Kobayashi was in second when it was red flagged.

Rosberg didn't get it right and ended up in 11th.
Erm think it's down to driver tbh

To be able to go quicker than other drivers in the changing conditions

Hobbit
13-06-11, 09:03 AM
Epic race, although it has ruined me staying up to watch all of it. I had to leave for work at 3am lol

General Baxter
13-06-11, 10:50 AM
ha, i even watched the catch up on bbc3, what was a good race, no red flags lol

Keif
13-06-11, 12:33 PM
Erm think it's down to driver tbh

To be able to go quicker than other drivers in the changing conditions

Nope put the correct tyres on a car first, you'll be 4-5 seconds quicker than the best car/driver combo with the wrong tyres. That's exactly what Mercedes did with Schuy, hence why he was in second. he'd have never have held it in the conditions. All down to grip.

Not saying he's not quick he always has been good in the wet, he just not back to how he was.

TeddyThom
13-06-11, 01:44 PM
Not saying he's not quick he always has been good in the wet, he just not back to how he was.

Shuey should never have come back to F1, he should have retired and stayed that way.

Edd
13-06-11, 02:10 PM
Nope put the correct tyres on a car first, you'll be 4-5 seconds quicker than the best car/driver combo with the wrong tyres. That's exactly what Mercedes did with Schuy, hence why he was in second. he'd have never have held it in the conditions. All down to grip.

Erm Nope lol

Button was 4/5 seconds a lap quicker than Vettel, webber and Schu with older tyres

That's the driver

mowgli
13-06-11, 02:17 PM
button is the smoothest driver in the current f1 crop, he doesn't do all this hanging the back end out & hoping to catch it style of things.. give him a wet/drying track & he will find grip where the others won't..

Keif
13-06-11, 02:57 PM
Erm Nope lol

Button was 4/5 seconds a lap quicker than Vettel, webber and Schu with older tyres

That's the driver

Correct, Button IS a quick top class driver. Schu was, and isn't now.

He drove well, as he always does in the wet. but he's NOT the driver he was, and ISN'T back to being his best. As already said it was the conditions and tyre choice that got him upto 2nd, then he went backwards.

His pass to 2nd was a stunning move tho.

mowgli
13-06-11, 03:01 PM
schu still isn't being helped by the fact that the brawn/merc thing is a dog of a car, with a great engine.... ross brawn got a championship more by luck than anything else, but under merc, they are floundering, pretty much like bmw did....maybe its a german thing... but the modern rules, and cars don't seem to suit him... graham hill also kept driving long after his best, but he is remembered with the rose tinted glasses though...

Stuart
13-06-11, 03:19 PM
OK shoemaker might still 'have it' but everyone else has the same 'it' he has.... IE while he was (possibly, when not cheating and getting big red to fight the stewards) a good driver way back everyone else was just average. So now the average has increased its level to where he was at his peak

Discuss?

mowgli
13-06-11, 03:23 PM
/\ no point trying to argue against you stu.

Stuart
13-06-11, 03:33 PM
ahh gowan...

MK999
13-06-11, 04:02 PM
OK shoemaker might still 'have it' but everyone else has the same 'it' he has.... IE while he was (possibly, when not cheating and getting big red to fight the stewards) a good driver way back everyone else was just average. So now the average has increased its level to where he was at his peak

Discuss?

Impossible to quantify without a time machine, all of the 'great' drivers will have 'it' and what 'it' is will show on telemetry, it's stuff like hitting full throttle for 10ms in the middle of a chicane and then braking back down to the perfect speed faster than the average driver can think about coasting through a bend. Certain people will take that a step further and it's certainly a lot easier to practice these things with advancing telemetry tech, and show drivers where they can make time.

However you can't take anyone and turn them into the fastest in the world there's a certain amount of skill and judgement in how you take advantage of the conditions. I can certainly believe Red Bull when they say they have no idea why Webber is 4 10ths behind Vettels qualifying pace, because they are probably sat looking at parts of Vettels lap going "How the **** did he just..."

However in that case you can look at the same track conditions machinery etc and say he is definitely 4 10ths behind, looking at a different field of drivers years later in different machines you could never say for definite. I think it's perfectly possible that the skill level of drivers is rising though, it's much easier to pick out the naturally talented and show them where to pick up time than it used to be when Schumacher was coming through the ranks.

mowgli
14-06-11, 06:46 PM
its well known the benetton was more bent than a bent thing... so there were 2 championships... then the design team went to ferrari, and surprise surprise suddenly schumi was at it again.... but the having unique tyre compounds for him & unlimited paid tyre testing by bridgestone did rather help.....as did the amazing middle stints followed by a slow pitstop & loads of not so quick laps..... (running light perhaps)......
but hill was no match for him, neither was villeneuve.. hakinen ran him close a few times, but only when alonso appeared did schumi have a true rival, but there was a 2 company tyre war going on...
now it is a more level playing field, and there are 8 or maybe 10 proper good drivers out there....it really has never been this good.

88ESR
14-06-11, 09:49 PM
Hamilton and Webber to do a swap at the end of this season then?

If it's at all true then we have two cracking teams for 2012..

A fierce campaign between Lewis/Seb and two laid back chargers in Jenson/Mark..

We shall see..

Hobbit
14-06-11, 10:04 PM
Can't see Lewis moving to be honest.

88ESR
14-06-11, 10:07 PM
Can't see Lewis moving to be honest.

I can..

Think he's become a bit disillusioned with some of the team's tactical decisions..

He just isn't getting the results (though not necessarily all McLarens fault...)

mowgli
14-06-11, 10:25 PM
lewis might move... but i can't see it being red bull.. he is getting a touch of the alonso's about being whipped by his team mate.

a lot of drivers love the mind games.. villeneuve ruined a few careers with his stunts, until he had jb as a team mate & jb told him to feck off..

webber is a sod for them too, the number 2 & that front wing stuff last year was all bluster..

lewis doesn't seem to compute things like jb, and it shows massively.

Edd
14-06-11, 10:51 PM
I can't see Lewis moving tbh, he's been there since he was 6 iirc

mowgli
14-06-11, 10:53 PM
I can't see Lewis moving tbh, he's been there since he was 6 iirc

maybe 11...... but what he needs right now is a rob smedley type engineer... someone to just calm him down a touch, and teach him how to think a race

craig green
14-06-11, 10:54 PM
His contract is up next year...?

I think by now Lewis has probably realised his luck/habits need to change. It's a bit like Rooney at the world cup.

Edd
14-06-11, 10:55 PM
It'll all come good again for him IMO just needs to as you say think a little more

mowgli
14-06-11, 10:58 PM
give him a dry race on a decent power circuit, he'll do ok... but the other racers have noticed the cracks & will push him into stuff

Edd
22-06-11, 05:57 PM
Just seen on the BBC F1 page that the introduction of the 4 cylinder turbo engine is to be delayed until 2014 :(

And that the will be reducing the cylinders from 8 to 6 and not the 4 that was originally planned due to complaints from Ferrari :roll: but still with turbo's :)

Around 2015 they might introduce 'compounding' instead of turbo's, WTF is that ???? :tard: lol

Stuart
22-06-11, 06:04 PM
cant really compound charge without a turbo... but its doable.

why change the engines under the blag of cost savings when they should simply settle on the current engine for 5 years or something

Edd
22-06-11, 06:06 PM
Use less fuel is the aim I think, 35% less apparently

Just read it again and it's says compounding and turbo, what's this all about then ?

MK999
22-06-11, 08:41 PM
Use less fuel is the aim I think, 35% less apparently

Just read it again and it's says compounding and turbo, what's this all about then ?

http://www.atsdiesel.com/ats2/templates/template_06.asp?p=2029422272&c=36

Not sure how you'd do that without a turbo or super charger though lol

Stuart
22-06-11, 10:16 PM
I'm going to assume the smaller capacity engine will generate the same/similar/more power than the current engines.... and by definition power = air and fuel, now if you use a big N/A or a small turbo then technically it will be using the same fuel.
Willing to be corrected but I fail to see how a big boosted small capacity engine will 'save' 35%

Edd
22-06-11, 10:25 PM
Current bhp is 750

Apparently it's going to be 650 with 100 extra through more advanced than current hybrid stuff

MK999
22-06-11, 10:52 PM
I'm going to assume the smaller capacity engine will generate the same/similar/more power than the current engines.... and by definition power = air and fuel, now if you use a big N/A or a small turbo then technically it will be using the same fuel.
Willing to be corrected but I fail to see how a big boosted small capacity engine will 'save' 35%

You can quote a turbo engine as being ~35% more efficient as the work done in the turbo is through waste heat ;)

It will probably be less fuel efficient as smaller engines have a lower thermal efficiency, as the cylinder wall area to volume ratio is larger.

mowgli
22-06-11, 11:25 PM
the development costs will be huge, whereas the existing engines do the job really well, but i know the fia is pushing the 1600cc world engine concept, with various specs of the original base unit, for rallying, touring cars, leMans, f1 etc.... to save money across the board..

Stuart
23-06-11, 08:54 AM
You can quote a turbo engine as being ~35% more efficient as the work done in the turbo is through waste heat ;)

It will probably be less fuel efficient as smaller engines have a lower thermal efficiency, as the cylinder wall area to volume ratio is larger.

But its not 'waste' heat spinning up a turbo.... its not like you are getting 'free' power, it still costs crank power to make the turbo spin up

MK999
23-06-11, 09:04 AM
But its not 'waste' heat spinning up a turbo.... its not like you are getting 'free' power, it still costs crank power to make the turbo spin up

In thermodynamic terms though, the system as a whole has a higher efficiency as the exhaust gas exits at a lower temp, as more of the energy is used in running the engine.

Stuart
23-06-11, 09:09 AM
In thermodynamic terms though, the system as a whole has a higher efficiency as the exhaust gas exits at a lower temp, as more of the energy is used in running the engine.

But isnt that only really true in steady state with the turbo running at the desired speed and engine producing the desired the power etc

I guess the only benefit of running turbos now will be gasoline/high temperature VGT's will get more development for us people lower down the ladder :)

MK999
23-06-11, 09:18 AM
But isnt that only really true in steady state with the turbo running at the desired speed and engine producing the desired the power etc

Its only really... something they can quote anyway to keep the environmental nuts happy.

mowgli
23-06-11, 02:46 PM
i think the 1600 turbo thing is designed purely to get other manufacturers to join in because, from a marketing point of view, a 2.4 v8 doesn't do anything... but if, like bmw back in the 80's, a stock based engine was used, the marketing potential is enormous....

but there could be more interest in running bioethanol or similar, and the small turbo engine does appear to be the way forward at the moment.

blue_peg_16v
23-06-11, 05:14 PM
But there now having to be v6 configuration how many companies have a 1.6 v6 engine the 4cylinder made sence to me in the way mowgli described but 6cylinders don't it's also been put back a year for the introduction

Edd
23-06-11, 05:24 PM
It's all to make Ferrari not leave F1

They said that none of their road cars are 4 cylinder, well make one then ffs, all the other teams do, wtf makes them so special

mowgli
23-06-11, 06:08 PM
so the ferrari boys are planning to dig out the old 1.5 turbo engine from the bad old days......

i wonder if mr honda fancies another look too.. cos his v6 in the mclaren was devastating..

Ben
23-06-11, 06:59 PM
I was talking to a guy in work today and we were saying wouldnt be suprised if a couple of the Jap manufacturers make a come back!

Edd
23-06-11, 07:03 PM
Bet whoever the chap was that pulled Honda out got the sack when their car (Braun) won the drivers and constructers the year after lol

mowgli
23-06-11, 07:18 PM
the japs have one major problem.. management by committee... they all hate to be seen to be the one cocking up, so they go in endless circles of management.. thats what ruined toyotas f1 hopes.. they certainly had the engine, people & money to have won hands down, but nobody would commit to anything, so important decisions were simply lost along the way

mr honda simply couldn't afford to pay for 2 teams & they made the decision to pull out totally.

Edd
24-07-11, 09:05 AM
Who's watching the F1 today then ?

Looks like McLaren have sorted themselves out after the Silverstone disaster, let's hope they managed to put enough fuel in this time as Lewis is looking good

I forgot what a awesome track the F1 nurburgring is lol

Southie
24-07-11, 09:10 AM
I'll be watching it, looking forward to a day off but need cut the lawn first though but then can relax in front of the box with a few beers.

Edd
24-07-11, 09:13 AM
I done the lawn yesterday :d few bits on the Sport then F1 :)

Mrs at work all day as well lol

Anyone see Lewis Hamilton take the son of the mercedes boss round the old Nurburgring in the F1 safety car ? Poor chap was sick when he got out the car ! :eek: F lol

Southie
24-07-11, 09:58 AM
Poor Lewis being sick lol

Andy
24-07-11, 10:09 AM
what times it on? yes,thats me saying i'll watch it lol well providing it doesnt clash with Hull vs Leeds rugby this aft...

Edd
24-07-11, 10:11 AM
Race starts a 1pm

Should be good, mixed weather predicted as well which always makes it interesting

Southie
24-07-11, 10:18 AM
Who needs water sprinklers on the track lol

Andy
24-07-11, 10:18 AM
Best get my skates on then as im in Hull at the rents at the mo,so its an hour drive back to scarboro, i'll stop for a crate aswell then i reckon,for an afternoon of motorsport and rugby league=bliss lol

Southie
24-07-11, 10:29 AM
I've opened my first beer, ready for cutting the grass in true vettel style, fast and to perfection with a tad of wobble lol

Andy
24-07-11, 10:35 AM
My mrs is friends with Rob on facefook,he posted a pic of himself cutting his grass a few weeks back at 9am drinking lager LOL
But you can still have rep for half 10 lol

Edd
24-07-11, 10:42 AM
You norfies love your drink lol I'd be cained if I started drinking this early lol

Andy
24-07-11, 10:44 AM
lol i thought somerset was constantly bolloxed on cider? lol

Edd
24-07-11, 11:05 AM
I ain't drunk cider since I bought a 5L container of Rich's farmhouse ten years ago and found a rats tail in the bottom of it :eek: lol

Andy
24-07-11, 11:06 AM
I thought if you ate that you hallucinated? lol

Edd
24-07-11, 11:09 AM
Bollox didn't know that :( lol

Southie
24-07-11, 11:37 AM
3rd bottle in and the grass is cut ahhhh now I'm ready for a beer lol

I'm watching sone cycling to bore me then ready for the afternoon entertainment that is F1 ;)

mowgli
24-07-11, 03:24 PM
well, lewis winning was a touch unexpected... there is a pattern forming, just as in his championship year, when i don't watch it, he wins...

Andy
24-07-11, 05:22 PM
good race i thought

brainsnova
24-07-11, 05:24 PM
I thought it was a great race and button should retire.

Edd
24-07-11, 06:06 PM
Cracking race

Nice to see Hamilton win and Vettel struggle

Looking forward to the next grand prix next weekend :)

Southie
24-07-11, 06:11 PM
Yeah was a good race, about time time Vettel was knocked down a peg or two, he's still bloody good though.

Andy
24-07-11, 06:27 PM
Yeah was a good race, about time time Vettel was knocked down a peg or two, he's still bloody good though.

you must be steaming be now?? lol

brainsnova
24-07-11, 06:59 PM
Steaming and he'll be browsing eBay for a ****ter. lol

Jim
25-07-11, 10:12 AM

Why should Button retire? He would have got 4th had it not been for the hydraulic issue that caused him to retire. He could have been on for 4th last race too had his team put the wheel on correctly. This hasn't been his season, but he's still one of the top 5 drivers.

Pistol Pete
25-07-11, 08:48 PM

Ridiculous comment!!!

Was a very good race. Glad Hamilton won. What a pass on Alonso! Vettel was off the boil today. Shame about Buttons mechanical retirement, 4th was looking good for him. Just hope McLaren can keep this form for the rest of the season!

mowgli
25-07-11, 08:58 PM
i can't wait for next season... banning the exhaust blown wings will even things up, i just want them to reintroduce wide track cars with tiny spoilers.... like 1990-1993, which is my personal golden age of f1......

Edd
31-07-11, 04:35 PM
Another awesome race !

Nice to see Button win his 200th grand prix

The Renault catching fire and exploding was interesting :eek:

Ben
31-07-11, 05:14 PM

Yeah couldnt agree more Button was ****e today eh!