0 Thread(s)

i couldnt weldwith out 1 now

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tuesday 29/01/2008
    Another day off work (was working the weekend just gone) so spent all day in the garage with the welder working on my wings.

Spent most of the day fabricating the underside to seal up the gaps after I cut and bent the bracket that the old grill used to clip into. This is now the underside of my extension. Then spent a while grinding back some of the welds and then fill welding to level some areas off.

Got a tad c0cky and although welded most of the time with my mask on - did a few with eyes closed really tight/looking away (mostly spot welds). However this is not recommended - why? because you can forget to close your eyes and blind yourself (which I didnt) but something I forgot is that the ultraviolet radiation given off basically gives you sun burn!

So now I have a red face except for the area where the top of my welding mask sat on my head where I have a nice perfectly straight white line!

I'll post pics of the wings tomorrow...in the meantime I'm off the apply some after sun!

Flashbang Is stil GAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Need pics of the tan..

youre only a real man when you weld upside down with just a tee shirt on

i had some spatter go down my jeans onces.. had a bold patch pmsl...

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

, that's why I used to weld in a t-shirt, kept the tan topped up! Wait till you've experienced a blob of hot, molten metal dropping into you're ear, I tell you that fecking hurts! (not too nice when it burns through your jeans and heads for the old tackle either!)

Flashbang Is stil GAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i had a few bits go down my gauntlets.. i dotn think ive seen one fly across the workshop so fast

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still after punto wings? may know of some knackered ones i can cut the top corner off and post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alanhughes87
    still after punto wings? may know of some knackered ones i can cut the top corner off and post
    cheers but dont need them now.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Friday 01/02/2008

Tan faded pretty quickly but now I look like a fecking radiation victim with the skin on my nose cheeks, forehead and chin peeling! Looks like I have some kind or dodgy skin disorder!

Made an excuse and left work early to apply some "lotion". Actually been feeling a little sh1tey for the last couple of days - sort of fatigued...probably not linked.

Anyway - after a short "rest" (couple of hours kip) I went back into the garage and cleaned up some of the welds. Fitted both wings and checked the gaps along the bonnet which considering I still need to clean them up and finish the bonnet off were pretty damn good!

Gave the new sections a coat of etch primer ready for a layer of filler on Saturday. I can now start to apply some detail.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mikey14sr
    , that's why I used to weld in a t-shirt, kept the tan topped up! Wait till you've experienced a blob of hot, molten metal dropping into you're ear, I tell you that fecking hurts! (not too nice when it burns through your jeans and heads for the old tackle either!)
    i had the same in the ear while welding a new floor in a mates transit
    looking good ade cant wait see some more areas tackled

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sunday 03/02/2008
    Today I wanted to get a skim of filler on the wings to at least build up the right levles ready for more detail. i also set myself the task of cleaning up the slam panel which is currently bugging me because its made up of about 10 different parts of metal all rivitted togetehr. The idea is to create a continous smooth panel that's welded in place. This will add strength to the rivetted sections and make it look much neater.

I started with the wings and after lining them up I bolted them in place. I then gave them both a couple of skims of filler. this looks really rough at the moment but the idea is to build up several layers and then cut it back to get the profiles I need.

Whilst this was drying I made a card template for the slam panel. Because the sheet steel I'm using isnt wide enough I'll be making it in 2 sections and joining it in the middle.

Once the card template was made I marked up and cut out the parts. I had to grind these out as my tin snips werent up to the job (only 1mm steel!) These parts then had to be bent into shape to fit. before welding in place I had to remove the paint I'd applied initially. This took ages.

I managed to get the passenger side welded in place and most opf the welds ground back before I packed up.

I'll get some pics up the next day or so - my memory cards are currently full of horse pics from a lesson the wife had the other week - need to get my ar$e in gear and download them!