Thread: Hillclimbs and Sprints

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hillclimbs and Sprints

About a month ago I asked for advice on best tyres. Got first event in a fortnight at the SNetterton Sprints. Unfortunately AO21s arent on List 1A (which is what's permitted for the Roadgoing Production Cars class) so have decided on Kumho Solus KH17s as they seem good value and from what I've read, have great reviews. Anyone else used these?

Obviously I'm not going to set the hills on fire in a 1.0 ohv.....am considering getting a Cherry Bomb backbox/silencer fitted and maybe lowering it for future events, perhaps with an ITG foam filter on the carb just for an extra bit of oomph. Also, are 'iridium spark plugs' any good or a total waste of money? Same with Magnecore ignition leads. Only asking because I want to keep things cheap and keep the car road legal because I still need Jet Black for work!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Uprated spark plugs will always be an advantage,as will magnecor leads. I can't advise on tyres sorry. What about a full ashley/sportex system? i'm not aware if the jets or even if a carb will fit from a 1.3 or 1.4 sr but it may be worth a look for some oooomph!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there is very little to improve a 1.0 ohv engine. without getting some spare heads & learning all about porting, you might find some improvement if you can source a 1.2 ohv (mk1 & 2 astra) and use bits of it..

what size tyres are you planning to use?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have found Avon ACB10's great. I wouldn’t spend any money on your engine and concentrate on keeping what speed/power you have got through the corners. look at suspension mods and weight reduction as these are more cost effective.

Uprated Plugs and leads are only good if the standard ones are no use. if its running sound at the minute the performance from uprating these are negligible. Cherry bomb loudener exhaust won’t be much use either.

IMO iridium plugs just have more chance of fouling and causing a misfire/power loss over a copper plug. If it is running sound with std plugs, iridium plugs could make it worse rather than better if you do not have the fuelling right.

If you keep the car the way it is and you’ve never been on the track before you’ll make just as much improvement on your times as you learn the track as you would with any modifications
    Last edited by therealnovaboy; 05-05-14 at 08:05 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by therealnovaboy View Post
    I have found Avon ACB10's great. I wouldn’t spend any money on your engine and concentrate on keeping what speed/power you have got through the corners. look at suspension mods and weight reduction as these are more cost effective.

Uprated Plugs and leads are only good if the standard ones are no use. if its running sound at the minute the performance from uprating these are negligible. Cherry bomb loudener exhaust won’t be much use either.

IMO iridium plugs just have more chance of fouling and causing a misfire/power loss over a copper plug. If it is running sound with std plugs, iridium plugs could make it worse rather than better if you do not have the fuelling right.

If you keep the car the way it is and you’ve never been on the track before you’ll make just as much improvement on your times as you learn the track as you would with any modifications
    Thanks I did wonder if plugs/leads would make any difference but apparently not so I won't waste my money! And trust me I know that handling/grip is the way to improve times. Unfortunately those Avons are not covered in 1A (they are in 1B though but thats not my class) so I've opted for the Kumhos. Seem to have rave reviews across the board and at £39 a tyre off Black Circles, pretty cheap too. I'll give it an event or two before I decide on lowering. Managed to get to the ripe old age of 25 without any modifying whatsoever though....LOL.

I'll confess that the ITG filter and Cherry Bomb are mainly to give the car a beefier sound rather than any real performance chops....sorry! I happen to like the OHV even if I won't exactly be snatching class records any time soon. The 1.0 models are getting pretty rare these days...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use kumho kh17's on my daily 1.2 165/60/14 and they're nothing special, I got them through work for penies and they where advertised as budget tyres at the time. also squeal like hell in the corners but that might just be me haha

Club Member Club Member dgbnova#1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    there is very little to improve a 1.0 ohv engine. without getting some spare heads & learning all about porting, you might find some improvement if you can source a 1.2 ohv (mk1 & 2 astra) and use bits of it..

what size tyres are you planning to use?
    funny enough I'm striping this motor out of a car this week or next if any bits are of use to you ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by therealnovaboy View Post
    I found ACB10s genuinely scary when cold. Without tyre warmers would they actually be usable for sprints?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please email the this man Tristan Dodd (pectyres@btinternet.com) He has been my motorsport Tyre supplier for the past 30 years what he dose not Know about motor sport tyres and RACMAS list is not worth knowing, he has help me and many of my drivers win championships with his advice on the right round black things (tyres).
    And Please feel free to use my name in your email, Graham Shiel.
    Last edited by phunkynova; 06-05-14 at 06:25 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Almost a week removed from my first event now, was a blast! Obviously with 45bhp I was the slowest of the day but every official timed run I was faster than the previous and the final was 24 seconds faster than my first practice so all good. Plus my sole other class competitor was a guy in an '82 Golf GTI so I was nuked before I started! Haha!

I definitely think that maybe poly bushes or even coilovers will be a future investment.....now I see why everyone uprates the suspension on Novas - cooking models handle like a giraffe!