Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Vauxhall Mk2 Astra 2 door Estate - Saab Turbo.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Vauxhall Mk2 Astra 2 door Estate - Saab Turbo.

This was built as a bit of fun and has had most of the work completed.

Shell:

This was a good shell to start with - a rare 2 door estate. The old clocks indicated 45000 miles. Has had minimal welding in the usual spots including the rear of the sills, in the rear of the front arches and around the slam panel. 2 pattern wings have been fitted and rolled. The cross member and slam panel has been modified to fit all the standard saab radiator, intercooler and oil cooler in. The drivers chassis leg has also been boxed in places to miss the pulleys and a mount fabricated underneath for the front engine mount. The rear arches have been cut back and the skins spot welded together to miss the rear wheels. There has been a good dent in the passenger rear quarter and has been pushed out but is still ripley. There are some small surface rust spots around the top half of the car. TRS tow strap attached to front cross member and

Front bumper has been cut out for the intercooler and oil cooler and has a laguna splitter fitted. There is a brand new front bumper included if you want to change it.

Engine:

Saab b204 running all the standard saab parts. F20 gearbox. Exhaust is a 2.5" stainless system but requires finishing off with a backbox. Nige-p wiring loom adapter and unlocked ecu.

Mk3 astra estate injection tank to provide the fuel and mk3 astra plastic fuel lines.

Power steering pump opened up and internals removed to make an idler pulley, so the standard auxiliary belt is fitted.

Bailey dump valve.

Suspension and wheels:

Saab 5 stud disc brake rear beam with the double anti roll bar mod. Polybushed mounts and braided brake lines. TA technix estate specific uprated rear dampers and 40mm rear lowering springs.

Saab 5 stud front legs with saab front brakes. TA technix front shocks with 60mm lowering springs. Braided brake lines.

Bottom arms refurbished with new poly bushes and new bottom ball joints.

New track rod ends.

All new brake pipes all round with a compbrake bias adjuster next to the drivers seat.

Wheels are 17" 5 stud mk4 Astra SRi alloys in anthracite with excellent tyres all round.

Inside:

Standard beige trim with 16v astra GTE digital dash (with brand new illumination bulbs) and richbrook steering wheel. Boost gauge in the gap between the air vents.

There is no ignition barrel as it was removed (still available) and instead there is a aircraft style ignition switch with a push button start.

Overall the car looks ratty to say the least but would paint up and make a nice car. The
    car starts, runs, drives and stops, however it does need a few bits to finish. This includes:

Air filter and pipe need sorting.
    Windscreen is scratched and needs changing.
    Making a radiator fan wiring it up.
    Sorting a coolant temp sensor out and wiring it to the dash.
    The APC needs fitting - I have the better T7 included but the Ecu needs sorting for it to work correctly.
    The exhaust needs completing along with a back box.
    Under load there is a rubbing/grinding noise that appears to be one of the idler pulleys catching the inner wing.
    The brakes seem a little spongy so may need a re-bleed or a bigger master cylinder as it is currently running the standard 1.3. The brake discs have some surface rust so they may need changing too.
    I think iv wired a wire in wrong for the indicators to the digital dash as the indicator lights flash constant with the ignition on.
    It needs preparation and paint - or run it as it is.
    A new drivers headlight is required. I have a new passenger one included along with crack free amber indicators.

With a bit of time and money the car could be really nice and entertaining at the same time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Pictures:

As seen in the pictures, it now has some Astra GTE sideskirts fitted and I have also sorted out the APC to run the standard T5 so all is well with running.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Iv been busy today:

The exhaust is all done and finished.
    The rad fan is now installed and will hopefully be wired up to a switch on the dash tomorrow.
    The brakes have been re bled all round but they still appear a bit vague. However the surface rust is now starting to come off the discs so they may well bed in now.
    Indicators are now fully functional. There is no tell tale on the dash now though but they are all fully functional.
    Any blown bulbs replaced.
    Iv started to tidy up the wiring in the car and have screwed the ecu to the plastic at the side.

There is also another 2 door that has popped up for sale on ebay here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3312945058...84.m1423.l2649

I know its shiny but mine could be too with a quick blow over.

Club Member Club Member dgbnova#1's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Admin can you trim the non related posts off this and move it to projects for me I've got loads of updates to add to this that's if anyone's intrested

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dgbnova#1 View Post
    Admin can you trim the non related posts off this and move it to projects for me I've got loads of updates to add to this that's if anyone's intrested
    Done Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Absolutely awesome love it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Southie ok had this a few months now done lots of jobs as Ben said it's solid no welding needed at all
    I did plan to rat look it but the rust spots needed sorting so just decided to paint it insted.

there was a few jobs to sort out, lack of aircon ment there was no auto fan switch so I had a pipe made with a Vaux fan switch m22 boss braised in and that sorted that

then the engine was scrubbing the chassis legs a quick re alignment of the mounts plus adding a missing bolt and tighten them all up it just required a 10mm spacer to the drives side mount and all is good With that no scrubbing at all now.

had a lack of speedo due to this but all re routed and sorted now

breaks were all shot due to time spent stored so cleaned and serviced them if they don't improve once it's in full use then will renew them but there working now a much improvement on what I had

More recent the turbo oil seal decided it had had enough so had to swop that out glad I did the impeller was bent on the old one and this new one is far more responsive pulls much better and runs better also
    Replacement turbo

gave it a good oil flush and change at the same time

had some electrics to sort no indicators on the clocks, it's a 1.3 loom so basic nova conversion problem a quick wire into the stalks sorted them

then no parking light WD40 to the rescue and one sticky switch sorted all good.

lack of horn just needed a steering wheel with horn push

wired In the boost light at the same time

And that's about it mechanics wise for now few wires to sort and a fan override to wire in but all ready for mot tomorrow
    Last edited by dgbnova#1; 13-11-14 at 11:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So body wise it looked rouge so full paint was the answer
    so started stripping it down this is it when I got it

loveing the old stickers
    Last edited by dgbnova#1; 14-11-14 at 12:02 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So stripping

removing crap Bonet pins and fitting locking ones

then the prep work

if it was not for the roof this would have stayed rat look but just so many surface rust spots it made no sence to leave it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

then some red stuff

Just this week tidied up the bay

much better