Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: My C20LET Nova won't start.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

have you got an engine management light wired in? if so are you getting any fault codes?

Club Member Club Member joff-turbo-nova's Avatar
    East Yorkshire ......... Drives : Nova 888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Keith,

I had similar problems with my XE I put in my Vectra - have a look at the link here :-

http://www.migweb.co.uk/forums/engin...version-2.html

Turned out to be the crank sensor not sitting far enough in the block to pick up the crank trigger wheel.

Worth a look if all else fails bearing in mind I was having exactly the same symptoms as you????

Hope you get it fixed soon - good luck

Joff
    Work in progress threads
    My Turbo nova :-Link
    Meriva Z20LET project :- Link

Still not doing standard!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Joff, i've checked your thread and my crank sensor looks different, it just has a little rubber O ring on it, and i've had it in and out a few times.

However I cannot remember where I got this crank sensor from, i didnt get it with the engine, I think someone gave it to me, so It could be the wrong one by a mile for all I know. I'm going to try and get a new one today.

Keith

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

your tdc sensor will have a very small gap between the sensor and the target wheel (almost spark plug gap size) your sensor will produce a small amount of voltage whilst cranking due to the electro winding inside,
    if you have a test light slide a pin into the connector block place your test light (led type) on to it when you crank led should flash as it is an ac voltage. this will test your sensor and target wheel and gap. does sound like a tdc problem as the fuel pump wont cut in because it cant see no engine rpm.adz

Club Member Club Member joff-turbo-nova's Avatar
    East Yorkshire ......... Drives : Nova 888
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krobinson
    Thanks Joff, i've checked your thread and my crank sensor looks different, it just has a little rubber O ring on it, and i've had it in and out a few times.

However I cannot remember where I got this crank sensor from, i didnt get it with the engine, I think someone gave it to me, so It could be the wrong one by a mile for all I know. I'm going to try and get a new one today.

Keith
    I would get hold of a gen bosch one which are metal if you can as the aftermarket cheaper ones are plastic and seem to be considerably less reliable!!

Joff
    Work in progress threads
    My Turbo nova :-Link
    Meriva Z20LET project :- Link

Still not doing standard!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah mine is plastic, I'll do the crank sensor first, and test the voltage going to it, and if thats fine then it's loom and ECU time

Club Member Club Member fearless's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you checked you have a decent ignition feed to the ecu - when cranking some ignition supplies drop voltage to less than the ecu's like to see !!!

Dave
    Dave France - The talent behind Fearless Motorsport Developments (FMD), creator of many a feature car including Brett Warburton's NovaWRC TotalVX cover car - a test run for my own project !!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I changed my metal crank position sensor for a plastic one, brand new, and it failed to start numerous times.

So I swapped the brand new plastic item back for the second hand, a bit haggered looking metal one perfect everytime

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fearless
    Have you checked you have a decent ignition feed to the ecu - when cranking some ignition supplies drop voltage to less than the ecu's like to see !!!

Dave
    I'm using the ignition live from the GSI loom, I'll try it direct to the battery to see if this helps.

I have just checked the switched live using a bulb, its live with ignition, and it stays live when cranking, so thats that ruled out.

I have also unpluged the crank sensor, and used the same bulb (indicator bulb) to test if there is any power going to either of the 3 wires in it. There doesnt seem to be any life in them at all, however I'm not sure if this is normal or not?

I have also put a direct earth from the fuel rail to the battery earth. And I've run an earth from the battery down to the bolt on the knock sensor (inlet)
    There is supposed to be a bracket from the inlet to the block, but i've lost this. I assume having the earth back to the battery should suffice?

Still no joy at all folks.

Depressed Keith.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trackdaynova
    I changed my metal crank position sensor for a plastic one, brand new, and it failed to start numerous times.

So I swapped the brand new plastic item back for the second hand, a bit haggered looking metal one perfect everytime
    I must price a new metal one from vaux, cheers