Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: !!!!!!help brakes!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never had it properly adjust automatically! its always siezed or rusty so the adjuster doesnt quite work with the cog...

Always had to strip them and cleam them first!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it is like a ratchet Mr Devlin. you can chase the sawrated nut to drive the shoes out. usually they seize, but sometimes they dont. it is nice practice to remove the left hand threaded adjuster, clean it and copper grease it.
    how many clicjs does your hand brake come up? although i have seen novas where the handbrake has been adjusted via the handbrake cable!!!! yes you read it correctly it is terrible.

also if you have a grinder, remove the lip that is formed on the outside of the drum as this will make it impossible to get the shoes adjusted to the closest possible point. i feel you should start here as it is worth doing regularly if you have never had it done since you got it. at least to inspect the condition of the shoes.
    i hope you find the cause and make peace with your nova.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ah i stripped aprt the drums yeah evrything is in pretty good nick to my surprize......the handbrake comes up 4 clicks but it will bearley hold on say a steep hill maybe....would the adjusment to the rear pads make a diff to pedal travel?cheers lads,.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

aah lads just noticed ther be no inspction plate,you no why cause this isnt a nova the novas on bricks this is the more sinister combo van,which hs no inspection hole the drum has to comne off to adjust which way should i spinn the rachett up or down?I HATE DRUM BRAKES!