Thread: *HOW TO* Log engine change with DVLA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default *HOW TO* Log engine change with DVLA

Overview
    Most of you will use this to update your engine size after an engine change to your Nova, so this guide is primarily written for that. However, most of it still applies for making other changes to your vehicle details.

This is the official way update your vehicle records. Some of you may have done things differently, if so feel free to post your sucesses/fails, but please do not argue the toss with the data given here. This is how DVLA tell you to do it.

You will need:
    1. V5C certificate
    2. Engine number. This will be stamped on the block somewhere (note, "number" NOT "code". C20XE is NOT an engine number!)
    3. Evidence of the change. Forms of evidence are detailed below.

You may also need a stamp, envelope and covering letter. And money if the tax band has changed!

Note Some people get away without providing evidence of the engine change. As this guide follows the official procedure, I have included it. I would recommend it, as not only does it cover your back if the DVLA do request it, but it also backs up the safety of the car - this can also come in useful for future resale, and insurance proof.

Method
    Step 1. Record Engine Number
    Before undetaking the engine change, make a note of the engine number (location will vary depending on engine, but its usually stamped on the block, near the gearbox). Its much easier to find it before you put the engine IN the car!

Step 2. Get Evidence
    Once the engine change has been completed and tested, you'll need to get evidence of the work carried out. This can be in one of a number of formats, but at minimum MUST contain the engine number and capacity (cc). Ideally, for extra DVLA kudos, the evidence should also state that the work has been undertaken to a level that satisfies vehicle safety standards.

The forms of evidence that the DVLA will accept are:

a) Receipt for the replacement engine.
    This would come from the garage or parts shop that supplied and fitted the engine.

b) Written evidence from the manufacturer.
    This would be a letter from Vauxhall stating they have inspected the car and can confirm the change.

c) An inspection report provided for insurance purposes.
    This would be an independent physical vehicle check undertaken by a recogniesd motoring body (e.g. AA or RAC vehicle check).

d) Written confirmation on headed paper from a garage if the change in engine size took place before you bought the vehicle.
    This also covers the DIY jobs; a local garage will confirm the engine swap has been undertaken and is of a safe standard. You may also like to bundle this in with an MOT, if its due, as a pass will prove the car is roadworthy.

Note: if the change was done prior to you purchasing the car, and the V5C has not been updated, you may still be asked to provide evidence.

Step 3. Update the V5C.
    Complete Section 7, Changes to Current Vehicle of the V5C with the new details, which at minimum must be engine number (28) and cylinder capacity (cc, 24). Sign and date the old keeper box in Section 8, Declaration.

Step 4. Inform the DVLA.
    This is where things start to differ depending on what engine you have fitted.

a) If the Vehicle taxation class has NOT changed (i.e. engine size has NOT crossed the 1549cc threshold), write a brief covering letter to the DVLA explaining the change, attach the V5, evidence, put in an envelope and send to:

DVLA
    Swansea
    SA99 1BA

b) If the vehicle taxation class HAS changed (i.e. the engine size HAS crossed the 1549cc threshold), you will need to apply to retax the vehicle at your local DVLA office. Click here to find your local office. Whilst you can post the information to them, I would recommend visiting in person as you won't lose your documents in the post (or DVLA system), you can explain better in person, and you can tax the car there and then over the counter at the DVLA office. Note that if your car already has tax on it, you can either cancel the tax (and have a refund of the oustanding amount) and start a fresh 6/12 month duty period, OR simply pay the difference and continue with your existing duty period (you'll still be issued a new tax disc, but it will expire the same time as your existing one). The DVLA staff will let you know which you can do, and how much it would cost.

Step 5. Insurance
    If you have an existing insurance policy, don't forget to inform them of the engine change. They may, or may not, require evidence of the change (in which case, you can use the same evidence required by the DVLA)

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Last edited by armour88; 15-05-09 at 06:02 PM.

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just changed my details today

1. went to local dvla office
    2. handed v5 with section 7 filled out with new cc and engine no.
    3. sign the registered keepers box
    4. gave them insurance and mot
    5. received new tax disc

as easy as that!

you only require engineers report if you going down a size or your insurance ask for one.
    Last edited by armour88; 15-05-09 at 05:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, just been to the local DVLA office. They asked for proof of the engine swap - thats twice I've swapped an engine and twice I've been asked for evidence. As said, the official procedure is for evidence to be provided, whether or not they actually follow that procedure and ask you for any is another matter.

Quote Originally Posted by armour88
    you only require engineers report if you going down a size or your insurance ask for one.
    Nope, you require one for going either way, as per detail on Directgov/motoring. As said, whether or not they ask for one is the mystery factor

Incidentally, Exeter office has some nice young ladies working in there
    Last edited by Jack; 18-05-09 at 06:18 PM.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never been asked for any proof...
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you send off the whole V5 form or are you ment to just send the left hand side (which has all the changes)?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might as well send the whole thing - you'll have no use for the sections on the right. And the DVLA will send back a complete new V5 anyway.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah I decided to photo copy it and then send it all off. (Nice to have a copy incase they lose it)

Thank you very much

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah to just add to this , i have updated engine size twice now , from 1.0 to 1.6 , they just did it there and then in local office and sold me a new disc , then from 1.6 to 2.0 this the wanted a official letter from vauxhall , this was a bitch to get as no one would do it as they hadnt fitted engine , i eventually found a decent manager who did it for £20

so its just hit and miss i think

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm swapping the engine in my nova within the next week, its already insured with the new engine (insurance understand it hasnt yet been done, but saves on paperwork) and i need to tax it tomorrow. should i just tax as it states on logbook as a 1.2 and re-apply when the new logbook comes back, or tax as the 1.3 its going to be?