Thread: Spaceframed SR20DET RWD Nova

Club Member Club Member novarally's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks very neat that Nuke fuel cell.

I was quite taken with the Radium one that they installed in the Formula Supra, then reconsidered when I looked at the prices!

Great work PRS on your home made version.
    To contact me please use E-MAIL to colinesmith@aol.com.

thousands of Nova (plus other Vauxhall and motorsport parts) available.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spaceframed SR20DET RWD Nova

So to update this.

With lockdown ending works been pretty busy with long days, so not much time in the garage. We then got the news our landlord wants to try selling the house during this current crazy market climate! So knowing we are on the move I needed to crack on and get what work I have done on the car sealed.

So body came back off

I then first wanted to focus on tidying up the inside of the shell/body so when it goes back on it is ready to be welded/fixed to the frame permanently. But also I wanted any bare metal cleaned up and painted. So that happened

The paint of choice was a coating called Steel-It. It is used a lot in offroad circles for chassis parts, arms etc instead of powdercoat and basically dries hard for a good protective seal. But its party piece is it actually contains pigments of stainless steel and is weld thru, perfect for what I need! I sprayed a test piece then tried welding to it and it does work. Quick clean up and you can then just respray the welded bit and it blends well.

Next up is getting the frame stripped down and back on the rotisserie. Ive got some smaller fab jobs I want to do and bits to finish weld on the underside, then I will coat the whole thing in more Steel-It.

If there is time before any move, I also need to redo the rear turret tops. The angle of the strut is all wrong and the mounting point on the hub is under stress. They need to be more upright. Hopefully I will get time to do them but I need the frame rolling and everything bolted back on for the move as I am expecting to be going to a smaller space

Last edited by The Simps; 26-07-21 at 01:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking excellent as always and some good progress there.

Have you any idea what the weight is of the original bits of the Nova shell? Roof, with the A/B/C pillars etc?

Very curious if you do have any idea!

What’s the plan for attaching the shell to the spaceframe chassis?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go on the Simps.

Crap about the move.

No chance to buy the house??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by novarally View Post
    Looking excellent as always and some good progress there.

Have you any idea what the weight is of the original bits of the Nova shell? Roof, with the A/B/C pillars etc?

Very curious if you do have any idea!

What?s the plan for attaching the shell to the spaceframe chassis?

Thanks Colin. Frustrating that every time I get momentum something always stops me!

As for weight, no idea. Will see if I can rig up some scales and find out!

Attachment wise, it was held on by a pair of these tabs on each pillar (you can see the b pillar ones in previous post pics)

But just those 6 wont be enough to support it with glass, doors, trunk etc. I could do gusset plates to the cage but seeing as I dont need structural rigidity in the body I want to try and make it bolt on/off if possible. So maybe double up on tabs? Tricky bit is obviously making sure I get a good seal on the bulkheads if making it removable, I have some thoughts on that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Simps View Post
    Thanks Colin. Frustrating that every time I get momentum something always stops me!

As for weight, no idea. Will see if I can rig up some scales and find out!

Attachment wise, it was held on by a pair of these tabs on each pillar (you can see the b pillar ones in previous post pics)

But just those 6 wont be enough to support it with glass, doors, trunk etc. I could do gusset plates to the cage but seeing as I dont need structural rigidity in the body I want to try and make it bolt on/off if possible. So maybe double up on tabs? Tricky bit is obviously making sure I get a good seal on the bulkheads if making it removable, I have some thoughts on that.
    Thanks. Now you point me to them I can see the tabs on the body. It's a neat solution.

Where did you get the tabs from out of interest? Or did you have them made?

If you can weight the body without too much hassle I would certainly be interested. I'm also intrigued by your bulkhead sealing ideas.

As you've probably guessed, making my Nova body removable is one of the future plans. Although I might split mine down the middle so the rear part is removable for engine access.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    No chance to buy the house??
    It?s an awesome house but out of our price range realistically. It is also very unique and with that comes expensive upkeep/repairs, which the missus is not keen on!

We will be buying somewhere. It?s a few years earlier than we would of liked but at least now my partner passed her 5yr point since moving here and can now apply for permanent residency and thus get a mortgage.

This is the current place, going to definitely miss it. Been a real pleasure having the opportunity to live here.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Now you point me to them I can see the tabs on the body. It's a neat solution.

Where did you get the tabs from out of interest? Or did you have them made?

If you can weight the body without too much hassle I would certainly be interested. I'm also intrigued by your bulkhead sealing ideas.

As you've probably guessed, making my Nova body removable is one of the future plans. Although I might split mine down the middle so the rear part is removable for engine access.
    Brackets are an ebay item, he does them with rivnuts too - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brackets-...-127635-2958-0

My plan is to make the sealing points be overlapping panels bolted together with some kind of seal between, foam maybe?? Trick is orientating them correctly so it can all still be easily removed!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a stunning looking house.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is a stunning looking house.
    It is a former lodge house, supposedly designed by the renowned architect Anthony Salvin who was quite the man in the mid 19th century for his gothic/tudor style!