Thread: 1600 T40 - Track/Road car

3 1/2 rods.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1600 T40 - Track/Road car

Thought i'd jump on the band-wagon, and post a Project/WIP thread up.

Some people will be familier with the car (i've been around a while). I guess this is more of Report, to help and inform people who are looking to do a similar thing. Also, i hope to do a serious Body orientated rebuild this winter !

Started life as a 1.2 Carb. 56k on the clock. Solid Shell.

Excuse the Mesh, a wood pigoen has an incident with my grill.

After building up No claims and Waiting to finish 6th form, i began to start doing the ground-work for a track/road car.

As this was intended to be used as a daily drive. I opted for a very clean GSi interior - from a nice chap in cumbria. I also fitted a Digidash, and OMP Wheel. Also fitted Central locking and electric windows.

Bought these From Skoob (IIRC) Off of here...

Purchased the other Essential T40 Items.

Then purchased some also essential parts. Like, the actual engine.

I was bored and excited.

Popped the engine in, sometime around september 05

This was done on quite a tight budget. The 40's set me back around ?500 after buying the manifold. The engine was something like ?60 from riggy, this Is Seans old engine ! The 1200 Ignition was retained for cost purposes. I Stripped the engine and had a Kent NVO Camshaft and a top-end rebuild (new valves e.t.c). All in-all it was done for under 1k.

3 1/2 rods.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After being scared ****less of ruining the engine. I decided to buy some filters.

After saving for a while, and utilising my student loan on more exciting things... I had a bit of work done

I had a new Lower front panel. The engine bay was Stitch welded and a few plates (i.e Strut tops e.t.c). I personally don't see the point in Deciding to start thrashing an old engine around on track, especially with uprated parts like Cam, 40's e.t.c. So i focused my money on having a Solid Bottom end. The rebuild was done by a local chap who's primarily involved with bulding Race/competition engines for single seaters (forumlae ford style stuff) - In short i had everything lightened and balanced, all the usual stuff like ARP's. I also had some considerable headwork done, retaining valves.

3 1/2 rods.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had it RR'd and Jetted. Jetting gave me about 15/16hp ! It ran 140bhp/142 on two seperate occasions. I think it's too high, but who cares.

Some New wheels, Painted by a friend @ a local bodyshop.

And fitted.

Fitted a much needed Limiter

Got some Custom Wound Rear Springs

Progress then went a little slow. I Spent most of my time this year skiing, partying, doing lots of uni work, Riding bicycles over jumps, buying guitars,

Then i decided to get my **** in gear with the nova.

A custom made Tank, was fed up of oily residues going everywhere.

Then i went to croft.

Overall it performed well. very pleased with it's versatility for track and road use. here's the good points and bad points.

Stiffness - The Stitch welding e.t.c had made the front end really responsive and reactive. Just kind went where i pointed it !
    Power - Engine performed well all day, especially pleased with the amount of low-down torque.

Bad points..

Interior - For track use, the lack of bucket seats and harnesses was a pain in the ****
    Suspension - It's on -60mm front, and -80mm Rear springs, on uprated dampers. All well and good for road. but not fantastic on track.
    Anti-roll bars - I don't have any, so it recieved a fair bit of roll.
    Last edited by Nick; 20-05-07 at 04:22 PM.

3 1/2 rods.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here's how it stands now.

The trackday brought to my attention , that i need to do some changes. Mainly Coilovers, and some stripping. It needs some cosmetic work, and i'm currently deciding on a colour so i can bare-shell rebuild it.

Got Oulton Park at the End of june.
    Llandow end of August.

So might have the Coilovers/Anti Roll bars sorted for Oulton. Then maybe Buckets/Cage for Llandow.
    Last edited by Nick; 20-05-07 at 04:24 PM.

Flashbang Is stil GAY
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great Thread nick.. always liked this car.. same colour as my 2nd nova i think

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice 'story' mate, im gonna be having t40s now but on a 1300

as for colour id leave it that colour

3 1/2 rods.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yer the colour is ok, Mr.Lotus Elise wasn't happy when he was getting outpowered by a skanky coloured nova !

However, if i build it from a bare-shell, i'd rather go for something with the "wow factor" or prehaps a metallic version of this colour, as found on the Cav GSi's/Turbos !

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

or astra champion burgandy (sp)

3 1/2 rods.
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yer i think that's the same colour as on the Cavs, If not, it's very very similar !

I'm also having a filthy urge to Mk1 it !

Oh, and i missed out bodywork. it's had none. Except for a Jazz Rear Wiper, Brand new GM GSi Skirts/Front Bumper. I've got spoiler somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cars looking stunning to the point i quite like that colour so something simple like a metallic version of that or similar on the respray would be about as far as i would go personally.

The antiroll bars are negligable once you go to coilovers so i wouldnt worry about the current roll, i still refuse to run a front one (and when i had no diff it was defo a nono for me) The only antiroll bar a few of us run is the rear one