Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Track Nova chassis and Suspension set-up

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally agree, but if that ever happened at Combe id be having serious words with the dude who was responsible for the surface upkeep

Note my comment 'for a tarmac track car'. Rallying is a completely different kettle of fish!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bottlethroddy
    Totally agree, but if that ever happened at Combe id be having serious words with the dude who was responsible for the surface upkeep
    lmfao!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bottlethroddy
    Note my comment 'for a tarmac track car'. Rallying is a completely different kettle of fish!!
    yeah just read that!! Do'h!! Well, in this pic you can see just how much seam welding a 106 GTi shell needs as these are quite strong little shells, but the strut top plates we fit to these are over 8mm thick, where as my Chris Astley ones on the nova are only about 1mm

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by craig green
    Anyone fitting a valver (big block XE) is undoing any handling improvements to a degree anyhow. Awaits a slating
    Stop being a retard!! Watch video's floating around from big blocks and tell me they dont handle. The only way that a small block will be better is with the same mods plus at least ?2k thrown at the engine/box

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    Stop being a retard!! Watch video's floating around from big blocks and tell me they dont handle. The only way that a small block will be better is with the same mods plus at least ?2k thrown at the engine/box

Chris
    hes right to an extent, your adding a load of extra weight on the front end of the chassis so yes he could be correct

but anyhow, i cant moan as im XE ing my nova at the min

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

but people saying a big block nova doesnt handle deserve a shoeing. Maybe a big block nova doesnt handle compared with a grpA tarmac car, or a small block doesnt handle well compared with a decent big block.

Beasties nova is a turbo (more weight than an XE) with diff, no coilovers, no fancy top mounts, half leather/alacantra interior, 16's and I have seen him/car drive the pants off much 'better handling' cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Chris
    but people saying a big block nova doesnt handle deserve a shoeing. Maybe a big block nova doesnt handle compared with a grpA tarmac car, or a small block doesnt handle well compared with a decent big block.

Beasties nova is a turbo (more weight than an XE) with diff, no coilovers, no fancy top mounts, half leather/alacantra interior, 16's and I have seen him/car drive the pants off much 'better handling' cars.
    then that boils down to the driver not the car then

*off topic now*

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To summarise then..........make it up as I go along..............

If I can dig out those questions with all positive answers, i'll do them, 50/50, if I think it makes sense, for those wouldn't bother answers...well then I won't wast my time.

My personal opinion from a structural point of view is that the top strut mounts could do with being stronger on the puny 1litre shells, and strenghtening here would be most benefical when a strut brace is used, hence passing vertical spring load to the opposite turret which on cornering is under considerably less load/stress....right?

I'll probaby strengthen up the rear beam damper mount points, but won't go wild.

Does any body know what spring rates the AVO Corsa Gsi kit comes with as standard, or an AVO agent/contact who can help?

Don't think i'll be trying to do a 106 type jump on track with mine, just not my cup'o'tee:D

As for XE's don't handle, well my 1 litre 'life' didn't have enough power to make getting around a corner difficult, at least an XE gives you you something to think about. Mines reasonable, but Sh&te old concrete tyres and wa&k camber doesn't make things any easier. I'll be picking up my ATB soon and a shiney newish set of A539's should make some improvements for me.

I'll judge how poor it handles when i'm on track v. some XE and non-XE weaponry to compare it with.

Cheers for advice.

Anyone know where the best place/site (with link) to get an AVO spring collar spanner, replacement dust caps and front shock damper adjustment tool. My 2nd hand ones came without.

Cheers,

Dave.
    Last edited by dabsy; 09-12-06 at 12:53 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try avouk.com - I'm in the process of pricing up their fully adjustable coilover kit : http://www.avouk.com/pm/4 for my valver. I too have fitted Astley's top strut tops and seam welding the whole shell. You can see my WIP on jov (http://www.justopelvauxhall.com/foru...pic.php?t=4067).

This project is destined for track days and navigation road rallies. She has an FIA approved cage and when funds permit will be getting FIA approved everything else so maybe I can stage rally her some day.

I have found this thread very interesting and agree with Dabsy about the positive answers in the thread. Everyone has a different opinion about everything and in the case of driving fast no matter how good you think your setup is, until you throw in the uncertainty of the human element (i.e. the infinite number of different driving styles) every car will handle and drive differently depending on who is driving it.

I do not know if I can make my heavy valver go round a track quicker than a small block. I cannot even make the claim that I will be able to be competitive - BUT I can say that I will give it a damn good go and even if I understeer at every corner, I am sure that doing it in my 2.0 16v will be good fun!!! Until I get peeed off, then I might try a 1600 16v!!! LOL!!!

Just FYI for Dabsy, I hope to put 300lb fronts and 200lb rears on mine for use with the fully adjustable kit. I did not know about strengthening the rear beam and I probably will, since it does make good sense for a rally car. I will also be filling in the inner diameter welds of my strut tops now!!!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Michelinan,

What are these astley top strut plates and where do you get them from? How much are they?

Regards,

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dabsy
    Michelinan,

What are these astley top strut plates and where do you get them from? How much are they?

Regards,

Dave.
    Here you go lad (they cost 15 snoops + delivery - I was able to get the hockley style chassis plating kit and a couple of other items along with the strut tops in one delivery consignment (8ish quid)

http://www.chrisastleymotorsport.co....7e89016a557cbf