Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My WIP updates (Nova Turbo)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default My WIP updates (Nova Turbo) - Updated 21/05/06

Just thought with all the WIP Threads knocking around i'd post up my progress... or lack of it!! LOL

Bit of Background about the car and rebuild...

I've had the car for many years, brought it as a completely standard GSI, Started off with some Speedlines, then lowered it on Avo Coilovers, Fitted some 16v Brakes, then I had the paintwork sorted. I then booked it in to have a 16v fitted at Big Boys Toys, about a week before it went in the 1.6i died of Head Gaskett Failure. Got it back and then had many problems with Driveshafts Snapping. Eventually i got the engine repositioned, this was due to the existing mounts been removed and re-welded in during the first conversion... Made a few more changes to the car including SBD Manifold, Blydenstein head and Courtneay Chip. Over time i also added Rear Disk Setup and V6 Front Brakes.

I then got bored and wanted more power, quick phonecall my mate Ivan at Ace Vauxhall Parts and I was test driving a Calibra Turbo and helping to remove the engine! Decided to do the conversion with a few mates this time due to now not trusting anyone else to do the work!! We completed the conversion over a weekend with very little problems. Everything was good!! Within a couple of weeks i managed to Kill 2 standard Vauxhall Clutches. So opted for a Helix Paddle Clutch and at the same time fitted a Quaiffe ATB Diff.

I ran the car everyday in this spec travelling to work and back in it. Had a few problems like hub/flanges breaking and managed to kill one F20 Gearbox, Next doors garage roof being blown onto the car!! Having the car kicked in by a group of lads!! Which was nice!!

In 2003 when i brought my house i decided to buy another car and take the Nova off the road, put it in the garage and do a complete rebuild, as it was getting a bit rough round the edges, to have the turbo engine rebuilt and to also fit a F28 Gearbox. Unfortunately things did'nt work out with the girl I brought the house with and we split up. I decided to keep the house, as it had a mint garage and did'nt fancy moving back with the parents!!

This meant the Nova rebuild had to take a back seat, while i sorted my finances. It was put to one side in the garage with a freshly fitted front end and no rear panel, and the garage loft stacked with new panels!!

Early last year i had the option of relocating with work to Telford or to take Redundancy, I decided on the money! Luckily getting a Job straight away. I managed to pay off a few debts and have money to start again on the car.

I took the shell to a Bodyshop in Birmingham used by Karl Rowntree in July Last year, knowing the quality of work John did on Karl's Nova, i left it with him to finish the welding and paint the car. Although i made a slight mistake of telling him to not rush and do it in his spare time....

This brings us up to date.

I've been keeping a record of progress with pictures on www.nova-turbo.co.uk

As you can see from the photos, all the underneath has been stripped and painted, under the arches have been repaired and stonechipped.

Spent a few hours over the weekend cleaning and painting a few more parts, Gearbox, clutch lever and dipstick/breather pipe are nicely painted. Spoke to John last weekend. He was hoping to get it in paint last week..

Pain in the ass at the moment as I am working in Bradford at the moment, so living in a hotel up here in the week, only have the weekend to spend on it now. Hopefully should have the shell back in the next couple of weeks and should have everything ready to just build it back up, then it's just a case of getting Intercooler and Radiator made... Still aiming for completion ready for the Nurburgring trip in July!! The heat is on!!!

Thanks for Reading!!

Oh and cheers to Karl Rowntree, Rob Delicata, Ian Holmes, Mart Weaver, Mark Beeson (Gay) for the help over the years, Dan the Parts Man at PMF, Ady at Greenhouse Vauxall for sourcing all the panels and bits over the years, Adrian Culley for my many mint Resprays. Hopefully i can bribe you guys with beers to help with the rebuild when the shells back...
    Last edited by andybishop; 29-12-06 at 06:56 PM.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lovely car andy with great spec

hope you get her ready in time for the ring

shane

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Andy,

Good to hear the project still in progress.

P.S website link not working :-/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

123-reg seems to be having a funny today..... Works sometimes mate.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

forgot you have pics of my engine transplant on there!

Those were the days hey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

JULY !! pull your finger out then!

CG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tell me about it mate!!! Getting everything ready to just build it.. going give John another nudge.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff

put her to work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good Andy.

The site was working earlier on, not working atm tho.
    Some good WIP pics.

Senior User Club Member MARTIN KELSON's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Andy,

Be good to see again, its been that long i cant remember whot it looks like!

Whots wrong with re-locating to good old Telford anyway? Lovely place to live................not!!

See you at some point over the next few months.

Cheers