Thread: Adjustable bottom arms / tie rod geometry

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Adjustable bottom arms / tie rod geometry

Has an one got a few measurements i can work off to get them somewhere close before i take it to get set up. Could do with a good caster angle and preferably the distance from center of the rear hub nut to center of front shaft nut aswell. How do you lot set yours up to start with. This is not a topic i know much about so please forgive my lame way of explaining what i need

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Caster - I run my tie bars as short as they'll go.
    Camber - Basically as long as they'll go (although have adjustment on top mount and knuckle)

I can get some measurements for you although I've never had it "officially" set up so don't know what I'd be giving you!

Club Member Club Member novarally's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 'works' Nova rally cars ran approximately 4 degrees of positive castor, and up to about 2 degrees of negative camber (on the front wheels).

There were of course variations depending on the type of surface (smooth tarmac/bumpy tarmac/gravel)

If it's useful I can dig out the paperwork with the exact numbers for all situations. Obviously these will only be a starting point, depending on personal preference and what you're using the car for.

But I'd agree with Iain, on the front you want to go for as much positive castor as you can (that's the wheel pulled forward in the arch), and as much negative camber as you can achieve.
    To contact me please use E-MAIL to colinesmith@aol.com.

thousands of Nova (plus other Vauxhall and motorsport parts) available.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That is all i needed to hear lads thank you. The camber i pritty much know how i run it a can check this by lifting the car to the launch height and making sure the slicks are pritty much in full contact. (i dont go round corners remember). But it 2as the caster i was realy unsure of but after seeing how much the r5 cars run yea pritty much what you lads say as far forward as possible.. Cheers

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I understand the effect of caster when cornering, but I'm curious what the benefit is of adding caster when drag racing??

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    I understand the effect of caster when cornering, but I'm curious what the benefit is of adding caster when drag racing??
    My guess would be to help pull you straight and counter torque steer? Could be wrong