User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Help! Electronic Speedo

Hi All,

As part of my conversion, I will have an electronic speedo. The loom is a cut down version on a Zafira B loom (CANBUS). The speedo is driven from the ABS sensors on the car. I have left that wiring on the loom and I need the ABS ECU to avoid issues with the engine running and the speedo.

So I either need a set of Corsa B hubs or do a modification to my drive shafts / hubs to fit a sensor and get a signal.

Info is a little sketchy on pulse outputs and if a Corsa one would work so I am hoping someone could help. Would I be able to use outer Corsa B CV's with the metal ring and mount a sensor? Do the Corsa B CV's fit normal 22 spline driveshafts? (I think 1.6 ones do but not smaller engine sizes)

Is that a sensible route or does anyone have anything they have done before? I am thinking it would be good for when I can afford custom dash and ECU etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm running an ABS sensor on one wheel to feed EPAS inputs. It's a Nova knuckle, with a modified bracket (Cavalier mk3 maybe?) bolted through a heatshield hole.

The ABS rings are removable and pressed on so can be tuned to your requirement - however I only have experience of big block stuff. The outer CVs I thought were the same between 22 spline and normal Nova shafts?

The ABS sensor feeds an orange box (looks like a relay) which outputs the required signal for use. That's pretty easy to wire in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

More details of how I did it here: https://www.pngclub.com/forum/showth...=1#post2308247

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Iain,

I just read that page. I must have missed that when I read your build thread. So ABS sensor rings do these come off the corsa b outer CV? I have seen a few corsa B CV joints with these on?

And the abs sensor corsa b also?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was given the ABS sensor/orange box/bracket so don't know for sure, I suspect it was off a big block 90s Vauxhall but wouldn't surprise me if they're all the same. I had a bunch of big block CVs in stock too so just picked the teeth (29??) that I required.

Can't comment on small block Corsa stuff sorry, however I was reading this page the other day for wiring Corsa C EPAS which goes into quite a lot of detail on Corsa ABS: http://www.super7thheaven.co.uk/cors...steering-epas/

Looks like they used a speedo corrector rather than tuning it on the CV teeth.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Iain,

I found that website too, its full of useful information. I have found out a little more. As I am going to use a cut down Zafira loom, they use a active wheel speed sensor with multipole ring inside the hub bearing. As I won't be able to use those hubs, I am going to have to use a hall sensor with multi tooth ring, as you did, and hope I can generate a signal and that the ABS module can decipher. Its going to be a bit testing and a bit hit and miss but if I can find the right mix of parts, it should work.

The other option is to dimension the wheel bearings and see if I can find a bearing that has the multipole ring and sensor within it. But I need a few more dims and some further research first.

My blinking CANBUS loom was always going to be something to cause issues. However my old Nova loom is so bad its a case of build another one or make something out of what I have got. As I dont have a lot of cash its going to be build it. Also if I can get it sorted and the loom cut down, then at least I can have sort out a guide for the group. Most probably will just use a gremlin loom, but I had the whole zafira b to break so got all the bits.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fun project! Another option is Corsa B 1.8 SRi rear disc conversion which have ABS sensor wires coming out of them. I'd have used this if I hadn't cut them off on installation like a muppet.