Thread: M32 Gearbox on a Nova

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default M32 Gearbox on a Nova

Ive got a Z20ler and gearbox out of a Zafira GSI (2005 / 2006) can bus engine. I am doing some trick wiring but I am trying to find out why people seem to be so concerned of the M32 gearbox fitting in the nova bay.

I have measured both my F16 and the M32 and the M32 is a little shorter than the F16 meaning, mounts aside, the gearbox should fit fine within the Nova bay.

I have heard so many people think its a real pain, again mounts aside but can anyone advise why?

Cheers,

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Might have something to do with the m32 gearbox has a bad reputation, so people would rather stick with what they know works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fact it's notoriously unreliable would be the first major concern, aswell as the fact it's a hydraulically actuated clutch and cable gear change make it less than desirable. You'll also have to make your own mounts which for for some people isn't possible. Next issue is driveshafts are diffrent to novas completely so a pair of custom shafts will be required as there's no easy work around like fitting diffrent cv joints or even an off the shelf custom shaft. Last thing is that you have to run a dual mass flywheel which will add a lot of unnecessary weight to the front of an already front heavy car (after a big block engibe swap that is).

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi Millworm, I have heard that its the 6th gear bearings and the early casings are the main issue with a lack of oil to them. With a newer endplate with a new oil supply they seem to be a little better on bearings then. Mounts wise I agree, I am about to fabricate some myself so its not for everyone. Cable drive is a pain but as I broke the Zafira the engine came out of I have the cables which I can shorten and then hopefully use. Hydraulic clutch I have been thinking of using one for a while, had a few cars with them before and I felt better clutch feel.

So on the driveshafts, I do have a potential solution that I am going to work through this weekend. Whilst the shafts would need to be custom conversion shafts the circumference and inner dims of the CV joint are similar with the Cav ones I had on my old C20XE conversion. So my plan is to take the inner part of the CV join out of the CAV inners and then fit them into the inners CV joint from the M32. This would mean that I would end up with CAV inner splines and M32 gearbox ends, meaning my conversion shafts would work. If not I can get a set made up, just trying to work out which part I need to spend my limited budget on at the moment. I got a quote for some shafts but its out of my price range for now.

I agree on the dual mass flywheel, not a lot I can do until I can do a proper single mass flywheel conversion. I did that on another Vectra I had in the day and that worked fine and saved some weight.

I agree its probably not the best solution, but with limited funds and a lot of parts I can use from the old donor, I am thinking something unique would fit me better and let me get the best enjoyment when building it, as if I am honest I more enjoy building them that I do when they are finished.

Either that or I am just a mad man having my midlife crisis at 39? Either could be right!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did a thing! One M32 converted Nova driveshaft.

Just got the longer one to go!

Managed to fit the corsa B brake pedal setup, just got to weld the pedal up. Then fitted the electronic throttle, just a few bits to finalise the position. Then onto the hydraulic clutch. Its getting moving!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get this on a project thread and keep us updated with pics!!

Be interested to see how it comes along

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I will do. What image hosting is best now? photobucket is just charging now

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think you can do it with Tapatalk mobile app, atleast that's i do

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah just been sorting photos, hosting on imageshack. It looks good as it gives you a size you can show on the img links.

I have to redo and take some more before it all makes sense on my post.

But the inner dimensions, ball bearings and cage for the driveshaft end are interchangeable from the M32 side to the Cavalier 2.0 litre side. So what I have done is take the outer cap off the Cav and M32 inner CV, then swapped out the ball bearings and the inner splined part.

The only difference is the Cavalier spline section is thicker on the internal spline side than the M32, as the driveshafts for the M32 are bigger. So what you end up with is a Cav inner splines CV part and a M32 inner CV and then you can fit nova conversion shafts on a M32 gearbox. You would need a new inner cv joint as the Z20's have an equal length driveshaft setup but if you wanted you could get a shaft cut and welded.

So this is a completed standard nova CV one end and converted M32 end the other side.

No real complications but will open a route to another 6 speed box. I will do a more in depth guide when I do the longer shaft one but it would mean as the gearbox is shorter, if you could fab some mounts (I am gonna take dimensions of mine when built), with the newer end plate and better oil pattern, its not that bad, except for the hydraulic clutch, gearbox cables and finding out a speed sensor, but who actually gives a fook on knowing how fast they are going??

Sorting out some different ABS sensors for the Zafira loom to fit to the Nova is going to be one of the things to cross off my list, but that's for the project post.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, lets be honest , I tried and failed. The back section of the gearbox is larger and the shaft connections are higher and even with cutting out, it just didnt fit at all.

Bit of a pain, back to my F16 till I blow that up and get a F20 or remortgage for a F28.