Thread: The Nova & Garage Build

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default The Nova & Garage Build

So, I've owned a nova from when I was 18 through to my early twenties until I went all ford then when I reached the tender age of 28, I decided I needed another Nova and I should build one and drive it to Nice in the south of France. That was back in 2011 and the nova has been sat for 5 years after its long trip.

Problem was, I had a double garage at the back on my garden, accessed by a gulley way, but for a long while the garage had appeared to be in poor condition. After strenuous negotiations, the bank of mum and dad decided to agree to a bail out and a new garage would be provided. I decided on a concrete prefab as this would be the most cost effective and the fact I dont want to have to brick lay a whole double garage as I have bad knees and ankles.

The garage had been held up by some acro props for quite a while but upon further inspection ants and all other forms of vermin had eaten away at the base of the garage and the acro's were the only thing holding it up. I will post some pictures when I find them in my icloud.

So the long process of clearing the wood, metal and all other crap out of my garage, my nova would have to live on the drive and all my tools ended up in the utility where we normally keep the washing machine and the drier! Lets just say it was a bit of squeeze.

So when finally the time came, we found out that the base of out previous garage would not be good enough and therefore we needed to lay a new one. So we decided that the only way was to lay a new flatter one on top. So we prepared the base:

Shuttering going in.

More shuttering.

Services going in. Luckily I already had electric to the garage.

Then concrete and pump. You can just see the nova on the drive.

Then after some great guys pumped the concrete for me, we have ......

Concrete!

So to make sure it way dry i left it for a number of weeks and then finally got the double garage ordered and ready for delivery. I found out that it would be on the 24th October 2016, so after some negotiations to work from home, Im ready for the garage.

But as I've got older I decided that I need to be more of a neat and tidy freak, so I decided that I should do a garage build as I would do the standard of the nova, so I decided the back of the gulley had to be partially fixed before the garage arrived then I could finish it up after discussions with the neighbours and making it look very good. So this weekend I started the clear up and partial concrete before I can get the cement mixer working and the remainder completed. Plus im on a tight budget and i work long hours with projects in London so this will be a long term build with the nova.

So I started cutting out for more concrete.

Then i found:

Slabs and more existing concrete.

And some bricks an old friend, who I fell out with added to get his car into the garage.

So I set out more shuttering:

And laid more concrete this is to raise the level between the existing and new, leaving a gap for drainage and then I will be putting slabs on top.

bit more and then done for now.

Its set lower than the slab so I can add the new slabs on top to finish it off.

Well thats it for now. Awaiting delivery.

Thanks,

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd love a garage that size.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so the day came and the garage was delivered.only problem was a broken panel but its being replaced on friday. So the guys started fixing the garage up.

View from my garden with the kids trampoline and all my stuff stick in the garden under a cover.

Front and roof all on just sides to go.

Garage door and sides on.

The side protection to close off the garden in the gulley and so i can create an outside space for my compressor, so i dont get air from spraying in the inlet and a space to locate the gardening stuff. Im going to use the PVC plastic to create a covered space.

Im working from home tomorrow so I hope I can get the bench and shelving unit kinda mocked up and the electrics all fitted. I managed to get some lighting in already so I am a way there.

Thanks for the comments.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    I'd love a garage that size.
    So its 5.5m x 5m, which is decent but ive realised that I could have gone slightly bigger but I had to stick to inside of the old garage dimensions as we were replacing one.

But its all good for the nova and a good workbench and shelving for the parts and tools.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That'll be plenty big enough. Good work so far, look forward to seeing the finished build.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Looks very good indeed, I know it's rude to ask but how much is this costing. Pm me if you want

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So we brought it from Lidget Compton garages in Yorkshire through Jacksons in Yardley Birmingham. Base cost around £800 as we didn't have to do much digging and hardcore due to the uneven slabs already there. The garage with the black roller shutter door, metal personnel door and wooden window came in around £4250 (after discount) all in with delivery and erection. All the extras is where they hit you with the cost like UPVCfacia and guttering, etc. etc. I can do all that myself.

Plus at the moment they are doing 20% off. Great service so far and replacing the damaged panel on Friday. Guys that delivered and fitted it were excellent too. Cant fault them and recommend them highly.