Thread: Spi mini problem.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Spi mini problem.

Sorry for asking this here but apparently there is not a diagnostics system that connects to classic minis fitted with spi and there is no self diagnosis.

So I am now left to try and guess whoch sensor has gone and replace and see if ti makes a difference so,

The symptoms are.........car drives fine when it is warm but when it is cold, starts and idles perfectly but with low revs acceleration it misfires/stumbles and when idling if you put your foot flat it almost stalls and misfires.

If it were Carb I would have said no choke so therefore I assume the mixture is not being enrichened when cold.

The temperature sensor was replaced a few years ago, it's symptoms were running too rich for the MOT because the ecu assumed the car was never warming up.

So I was thinking either lambda or MAP sensor? Any ideas? I am asking for other opinions as even a lambda sensor is £60 and I haven't even found a Map sensor to fit this car yet!

Club Member Club Member Simon 1867's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try all the vacuum pipes, behind the air filer into the mainfold. Small black pipe. Also replace the pipes into the fuel trap and ECU. I believe it's a green one. I have a spi mini and the pipes always go. Also check your stepper motor

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I have done all that, replaced dizzy cap and rotor arm, bought the ecu reader which said an air intake sensor was faulty. What I did for the vacuum pipes was use spi Nova ones as the fitting is better!

It has been a bit better the last two weeks but will see how it goes as the ecu adapts.

The ecu reader is very limited and nor worth the investment in my opinion also.

Wish it was a carb mini!

Club Member Club Member Simon 1867's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a carb mini as well as the Spi and I much prefer the carb. Once I got my spi running right I left it well alone. I know where I am with my nova and mini with carbs

good luck.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks and I agree totally, although in the injection Novas, at least the ecu has a diagnostics system, the rover one is appauling, not really much a move from British Leyland. (some of the parts on it still have the Leyland logo, the car is from 1995!)

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could be a fuel pressure problem since its on at idle but poor under load.