Thread: Gsi Fuel Leak

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Gsi Fuel Leak

Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I've just started my Gsi up having been stored for a few years. Fired her up ok but found I have a huge fuel leak. I've had a look and its coming from one of the braided fuel lines that comes up from lower drivers side of the engine to just behind the throttle Efi assembly. It feels very soft and the braided line is completly wet. I assume the line is split (possibly from long term storage??) and will need replaced. I'm just looking for a bit of advice how to get at the line and how hard to swap the fuel line out? Will I need to remove the injector rail, throttle assembly and other parts to get access. If so how much grief is this going to be? I've done some bits and pieces to my cars over the years but never anything fuel related.

I would take to the garage but my issue is I live a bit out the way and obviously cant drive it there with fuel pouring out her.

Appriciate any info / advice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

shouldn't need to remove anything, maybe jack it up and go at it from below as you'll have more room if you find trying to get at it from the top too hard

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheers Millworm, Yep I've got her on axel stands now and the leak appears to be coming from the fuel line connecting to the metal line on the fuel pressure regulartor (FPR). The other line goes to the injector rail but I dont think that the one leaking. WIll double check again to confirm though.
    It's difficult to get at the braided fuel line jubilee clips (for both braided fuel lines) securing the braided line to the FPR as the connection is sitting just below the inlet manifold. Unfortunately I cant get access to the jubilee clips securing the fuel line from below either. I was thinking the following method to replace unless anyone else has a better solution?

I think to change out the line I'll need to:
    1. depressure the fuel system and disconnect lines at the bottom. (slacken jubille clips and disconnect the braided line / metal lines under the car) To depressurise is this just a case of pulling a fuse and turning the car over until it stalls? I'll have a look through Haynes but if anyine knows what fuse this is it would be appriciated?

2 remove the injectors, fuel rail and FPR to then allow me to pull the braided fuel line up and out. Inspect the lines and assuming its a perished / cracked line I then intended to fit the new line to FPR replumb the injectors and fuel rail then reroute the fuel line back down and finally fit the fuel line backup at the bottom connecting the new braided line to metal line via the jubilee clips at the bottom of the car.

I'm never messed with car fuelling and I would generally take this to a garage but the car its not in the best position to move and it will be a lot of grief moving and thought with a bit of advice could have a crack at it myself.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's not much to go wrong on a petrol fuel system, to be honest you don't even need to depress it as if it's leaking it likely will be anyway. Take some pictures of what your talking about mate as I'm struggling to paint a picture in my head at the moment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi thanks for the assistance. I’ll uploaded a few pics to try and paint a clearer picture below. I was thinking to just replace both braided fuel lines even though it appears only one is leaking. I know the leak is coming from one of the lines (suspect the one going to the FPR and not injector rail) but don’t really want to start the car again just incase the worst happens and it goes up, so will just change out both when I get at it.

Was thinking once the fuel pressure is removed from the system. (Haynes says to do this by by slackening off the fuel pressure regulator union pipe to relieve the pressure?)

Was then thinking to disconnect both braided lines under the car where they connect to the metal non braided fuel lines that goes to the tank under the car. Any fuel can drip into a fuel canister. Then looking at the first picture disconnect bolt 1- that holds both braided lines in place. Then disconnect bolts 2 – that secure the fuel rail. The disconnect bolt 3 that secures the FPR if need be.

Would then allow me to lift up the fuel rail and allow me pull the old fuel lines up to allow me to disconnect from the metal fuel lines directly connected to the fuel rail and FPR. I would then replace with new braided fuel lines and connect with old jubille clips. I then intended place back on what I previously unbolted (fuel rail, FPR etc) and reroute the new braided lines back down the same way the original ones were routed and reconnect using original jubilee clips under the car to the metal fuel lines that run back to the fuel tank.

I’m an amateur car mechanic and work fine if I know the procedure, so any info advice is greatly appreciated if there’s a better method of replacing the lines than how I listed above?

Cheers
    [IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi thanks for the assistance. I posted a few days ago and said it would be uploaded after approved from moderator, but yet to see my previous post? Anyhoo reposted again.

I’ve uploaded a few pics below this post to try and paint a clearer picture. I was thinking I’ll replace both braided fuel lines even though it appears only one is leaking. I know the leak is coming from one of the lines (suspect it’s the return line going to the FPR and not the main one going to the injector rail) but don’t really want to start the car again just incase the worst happens and it goes up, so will just change out both when I get at it.

Was thinking to remove the fuel pressure from the system, by either pulling the fuel pump relay and turn the car over a few times or as Haynes says to relieve pressure by slackening off the fuel pressure regulator union pipe?

I intended to disconnect both braided lines under the car where they connect to the metal non braided fuel lines coming from the tank. Any fuel can drip into a fuel canister. Then looking at pic 7969 disconnect bolt 1- that holds both braided lines in place. Then disconnect bolts 2 – that secure the fuel rail. The disconnect bolt 3 that secures the FPR if need be.

Would then allow me to lift up the fuel rail and allow me to pull the old fuel lines up to allow me to disconnect from the metal fuel lines directly connected to the fuel rail and FPR. I would then replace with new braided fuel lines and connect with old jubille clips. I then intended place back on what I previously unbolted (fuel rail, FPR etc) and reroute the new braided lines back down the same way the original ones were routed and reconnect using original jubilee clips under the car to the metal fuel lines that run back to the fuel tank.

If there’s a better method of replacing the lines than how I listed above then I’m open to suggestions as I’m an amateur car mechanic and work fine if I know the procedure, so any info advice is greatly appreciated.

Another question I have is where’s the location of the fuel pump relay, and what size of the high pressure nylon fuel line do I need for the engine main and return fuel lines? I intended to buy 3m, or is this overkill? As this would be good to know so I can pick some up before I start the job rather than pull the old lines off and then goto the local parts store.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[IMG][/IMG]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, unfortunatly I cant upload any pictures or link to my photobucket to show you the pics I had taken? Dont know if I need to have made x number of posts in the forum or be a fully paid memeber to do so, will contact admin and ask.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry - I think the mods must have missed this one. I've approved the posts now