Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: Wide arch, wide track, z18xe on bodies...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks proper. I like it

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interested to see what power the engine makes, I did not build it, but have just supplied many parts for a 1.8 engine which is being circuit raced.
    Made 220+bhp on Track 'n' Road's rollers.
    Dry sumped, ported head, +1.0mm 1.6 REC valves, 1600 Colisbro guides, Piper mechanical cams, Piper double springs/steel retainers with custom spring platforms, deep locating shims, Jenvey throttle bodies, Bowyer pistons, rods and inlet manifold, SBD belt rollers and front pulley/trigger, TTV billet flywheel, Simpson manifold and system, soon to get a steel crank.
    My friend did a 1400 rally version which used Corsa VXR valves, something I would not recommend, the exhaust valves failed, also the shims flip off as there is not enough location on the top of the valves.
    Re did the head using similar specification as the head used on the 1.8, using the 1.4 head casting.
    Also had standard rods fail even after stress relieving, snapped under the small end.

Steve
    Last edited by steveboyslim; 16-10-16 at 11:55 AM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyslim View Post
    Interested to see what power the engine makes, I did not build it, but have just supplied many parts for a 1.8 engine which is being circuit raced.
    Made 220+bhp on Track 'n' Road's rollers.
    Dry sumped, ported head, +1.0mm 1.6 REC valves, 1600 Colisbro guides, Piper mechanical cams, Piper double springs/steel retainers with custom spring platforms, deep locating shims, Jenvey throttle bodies, Bowyer pistons, rods and inlet manifold, SBD belt rollers and front pulley/trigger, TTV billet flywheel, Simpson manifold and system, soon to get a steel crank.
    My friend did a 1400 rally version which used Corsa VXR valves, something I would not recommend, the exhaust valves failed, also the shims flip off as there is not enough location on the top of the valves.
    Re did the head using similar specification as the head used on the 1.8, using the 1.4 head casting.
    Also had standard rods fail even after stress relieving, snapped under the small end.

Steve
    I didnt see your reply before.

Is the engine for the corsa autotech guys? If so it looks mega.

Interesting what you say about the corsa valves, I have considered using the ferrea ones.

I have spoken to plenty of people running high power high rpm corsa engines with no problems. What sort of revs did the 1400 do? I want to cap mine at 8k max. The lash caps i am using are a lovely precision fit on the valves and reasonably deep. It'd take a fair amount to flip one off i would think.

The rods i am using are the Corsa vxr ones, they are much thicker under the small end than a regular 1800 rod, and 19mm pin.

Thanks for the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happy christmas to me, happy christmas to me. I know its a bit early, but treated myself to a light weight flywheel and a 7.25 inch clutch like pictured. Probably way over kill but i fancied one so went for it.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the above concerns and my thoughts previously. I thought sod it and ordered a set of supertech valves. I have been in contact with supertech themselves and they assure me the revs and cams I am using, i wont break them.

The intakes are 1 piece and the exhausts are incolnel 2 piece but they said they'll never break in my application. They are single groove collets too.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mxcrazy View Post
    I didnt see your reply before.

Is the engine for the corsa autotech guys? If so it looks mega.

Interesting what you say about the corsa valves, I have considered using the ferrea ones.

I have spoken to plenty of people running high power high rpm corsa engines with no problems. What sort of revs did the 1400 do? I want to cap mine at 8k max. The lash caps i am using are a lovely precision fit on the valves and reasonably deep. It'd take a fair amount to flip one off i would think.

The rods i am using are the Corsa vxr ones, they are much thicker under the small end than a regular 1800 rod, and 19mm pin.

Thanks for the info.

I did not build it but I did supply many of the parts for the Autotech car, my friend assembled the cylinder head did most of the machining and engineering, Roper Developments ported the head, the chap at Autotech did the rest.
    There is more power to come from that engine.
    VXR rods a to heavy, they also need ARP 625 bolts as they are smaller in diameter arp 2000 will snap, you will need to use more than 8k rpm
    The shims will come off, the cam buckets and shims I supply locate on the stem of the bucket (follower) by 8mm, they do not come off.
    The 1400 uses just over 8k with a rubber crank, it is in a rally car so does not spend such long periods at maximum rpm.
    That flywheel will need to be balanced once the ring gear is fitted, you could of had a TTV one with integral ring gear ready balanced for less money.
    The Supertech valves are not the best shape and I think are smaller than the 1600cc REC valves, (I will stand corrected) single groove collet is better though.
    Last edited by steveboyslim; 19-11-16 at 05:18 PM.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by steveboyslim View Post
    I did not build it but I did supply many of the parts for the Autotech car, my friend assembled the cylinder head did most of the machining and engineering, Roper Developments ported the head, the chap at Autotech did the rest.
    There is more power to come from that engine.
    VXR rods a to heavy, they also need ARP 625 bolts as they are smaller in diameter arp 2000 will snap, you will need to use more than 8k rpm
    The shims will come off, the cam buckets and shims I supply locate on the stem of the bucket (follower) by 8mm, they do not come off.
    The 1400 uses just over 8k with a rubber crank, it is in a rally car so does not spend such long periods at maximum rpm.
    That flywheel will need to be balanced once the ring gear is fitted, you could of had a TTV one with integral ring gear ready balanced for less money.
    The Supertech valves are not the best shape and I think are smaller than the 1600cc REC valves, (I will stand corrected) single groove collet is better though.
    All interesting stuff, thanks for the info.

The vxr rods are about 440 grams, use m9 rod bolts.

As for the flywheel. If i could have got a TTV one for less than £20 then i would have, haha, that was an ebay bargain for sure.

The supertech valves are stock size yes. I just wanted something stronger ultimately. It was supposed to be a budget build! Lol

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right, bit more progress.

Got my new valves in and lash set.

I used my dti to confirm TDC and set the timing disc. I put the head on, timed it up and adjusted the pulleys to time it up as per Pipers spec sheet.

I then measured piston to valve clearance in various positions both intake and exhaust.

Exhaust clearance was good, but intake was a bit tight (or will be once block decked and head skimmed)

I cut a spare piston in half, to check crown thickness.

I then gave a friend/engineer 5 x pistons to machine, one spare (the one now fitted to engine for dummy fitting) and the 4 pistons i want to use.

He turned them around in an afternoon for me, legend!

So, i fitted a now modified piston, re-timed the engine and got the DTi out again.

I now have over 4mm of clearance intake and exhaust, and these are pretty 'big' cams too.

It means i can deck the block (decomp plate is too thin to modify) to close the piston to head clearance for quench/squish and also skim the head to reduce chamber volume.

I need to get 12:1 static compression to give me a 9:1 dynamic ratio with these cams, that is about the limit for good pump fuel.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of your work is brilliant, love the conrods especially mate

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mk1nova_rich View Post
    Some of your work is brilliant, love the conrods especially mate

Thanks mate. I have now got some steel rods on order. They'll be weighed and balanced if needed.

I have asked SBD for a price on a few bits too, slave cylinder and bearing to suit my clutch and the aluminium auxillary pulley too. If thier pulley isnt suitable i will have one made to suit. That should drop a kg or so off the rotating mass.

Once I have a pulley of some desciption sorted the crank, pulley, flywheel and clutch can go off for balancing finally.

I also have a bit more work to do in the intake ports, i need to lift the roof of the port slightly. I have run a cut above and below the 45 seat angle too bow and narrowed the seats down to 1.25mm on the intake side.