Swindoncestershire Building: A Breeze Blue XE
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Damage to neighbours car

Help.

My 6 year old nephew has put a small scratch on a neighbours car. Wing and front door.

Car was half on the road, half on the pavement (picture to show)

As he tried to get past, he wobbled and hit the car. She came out. A minor exchange took place and she came knocking.

I have pictures of the damage. I am getting a few quotes to understand costs too.

She has since been out and moved the car. Again, pictures to show.

Where do i stand? Do i need to cough up for costs of repairs? I am more than happy to do this. Or even if not, put some money towards it.

Also the way the car was parked prior, is that allowed. Its a new build housing area, so as you can imagine parking isn't great! And being the school holidays, more cars than normal.
    My Rebuild

They're over there with their new toys. Someone brought them in. No idea who bought them though.....

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you don't need to make your excuses here.

your nephew scratched the car presumably under your supervision. Do the right thing and pay up.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was the car parked suitably? Take into account path width, road with, cars parked opposite etc. If so then yeh it would be advisable to try settle things. I know its an inconvenience but its the right thing to do.

On the other hand if the car was parked like a **** and was unnecessarily making it hard to get past then tell her to fuck off

Club Member Club Member Pistol Pete's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not making excuses. He wasn't under my supervision. My SIL rang me in a panic afterwards. Stating the facts dear boy. Thanks for your input though.

Car was half on the path, half on the road. The fact she was less than pleasant towards my nephew of 6 years old is annoying. Also comments such as "my other half wont be happy, beware of the consequences.."

Like i originally stated, more than happy to pay towards repairs. But just trying to understand in more detail.
    My Rebuild

They're over there with their new toys. Someone brought them in. No idea who bought them though.....

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No you have no legal requirement to pay. Given it was a minor on a bike on the pavement, the neighbour can claim off their own insurance and explain why the car was parked partially on the pavement.

Any payment you make is purely based on your own wish to be seen as a good citizen - unlike the neighbour who gave you a hard time for something that is partially their doing by obstructing a pavement!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pistol Pete View Post
    He wasn't under my supervision.
    that may have been a contributing factor.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

accidents happen, thats why as car owners we pay for insurance. i wouldnt expect a child or childs parent to pay for accidental damage. Plus if the car was on any part of the kerb then its there own fault for blocking the pavement ,

Yea if i was the car owner i would be upset , but i wouldnt of taken it out on the kid.

Kids will be kids and accidents happen, may be next time they wont park on the kerb

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im pretty sure its illegal to cycle on the pavement suggesting a fault on both parts. it would be the parent or responsible adult who would ultimately. The neighbourly thing to do would be to offer to pay half.

she came out shouting at the kid? ye, well i guess you'd do the same. im pretty sure it the shoe was on the other foot and someone scratched your pride and joy you'd be going bandy.

since you are already 'more than happy to pair towards the repair' then there isnt really an issue here.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by meritlover View Post
    im pretty sure its illegal to cycle on the pavement suggesting a fault on both parts. it would be the parent or responsible adult who would ultimately. The neighbourly thing to do would be to offer to pay half.

she came out shouting at the kid? ye, well i guess you'd do the same. im pretty sure it the shoe was on the other foot and someone scratched your pride and joy you'd be going bandy.

since you are already 'more than happy to pair towards the repair' then there isnt really an issue here.

Q. Are children allowed to cycle on pavements?
    A. Whilst there is no exemption to this law for children, the police have always used common sense and discretion in exercising their powers over children cycling on the pavement. Very young children should not be expected to cycle on the road and we would not recommend any child does so until they have received cycle training. Children under the age of 10 are below the age of criminal responsibility, hence they cannot be prosecuted for criminal offences.Enforcement of cycling on pavements is usually dealt with by a fixed penalty notice, which cannot be issued to anyone under the age of 16.

Club Member Club Member Pistol Pete's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In an interesting turn of events....the boyfriend came knocking on my SIL front door. Asked if her son was OK. He said accidents happen, he'll have a go at polishing it out. Guess once he found out that the car was parked on the pavement and that his misses had given my nephew a gobfull, he felt it was time to forgive and forget.

ML, again thanks for your input. Yes I said SIL was happy to pay but that was before she had her 6 year old crying on the doorstep shadowed by said angry lady. Yes I would be angry too, but as I have 2 young kids myself I try to park accordingly. Also I ensure they are aware of being careful around other people's property, cars etc.

Anyway, sorted now.
    My Rebuild