Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 8161718192028 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk2 Breeze Blue project

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good luck with MOT, cars looking nice. Be good to see some more of these projects at shows next year

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sadly I barely got onto the duel carrage way and as I started going up the gears it started hesitating, like every time I pressed the throttle it went slower. Managed to get back home in 1st crawling.
    Not sure where to start with this. It was the 1st time it hit the roads at a decent speed. Going back and forth on a back road wasn’t enough speed to discover this issue.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also one thing that I have noticed is that the exhaust fumes are so strong in smell, I come out of the garage smelling if it. Makes your eyes water.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So to update on this:

Basically it was a calamity of errors. On the 2nd test run the car felt better but still with a hesitant idle. Decided to keep it on the side roads in case of issues.
    When I got to one of the more less maintained roads I hit a pot hole which ripped a bolt of of one of the lower gearbox mounts!!
    So the thread being nackered on the body I picked up a re threading kit and repaired that.
    Noticed a small water leak that just wouldn’t stop from the pump, probably had this off 15 times since it was built up due to numerous issues. The last time I thought this was fixed but probably had the belt slightly over tight.
    Just had it idling in the garage, trying to improve the fluctuation in it and SNAP, the belt went!!
    I couldn’t believe it after everything that happened. I turned it over by hand but wasn’t confident there wasn’t further damage.
    Took it all apart again and the damage was
    • 1 Bent exhaust valve
    • 1 Bent Inlet Valve
    • 1 snapped follower

I had oil on cylinders 2 and 3 which looked like it was coming from the gallery’s and checking the face of the head I wasn’t confident it was flat.
    So since having it skimmed it turns out it was all over the place!! I didn’t even think to check it before hand but know probably answers the question why the fumes where so strong and may not have sealed correctly.
    Both valves have been replaced and lapped in and I’ve replaced all the followers and thrust pads.
    Just waiting for the last of the gaskets and head bolts to arrive and then can put it back together. The moisture in the air from the cold is a bit of an issue now tho!!
    Fingers crossed it is a massive improvement to before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let's hope you have a bit more luck this time.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So take 2.

Got the head bolted back on today along with the new followers and thrust pads. This is the 1st time I couldn’t source hex head bolts so I’ve had to resort to Erling torq ones. Also ordered a new timing belt cover from autovaux as I was worried about protection for the belt so just waiting for that to arrive before refuting that.
    Still a few bits to go but plenty of time to do it.

Last edited by leggattr; 30-11-18 at 05:58 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a drama, good to see you haven't let it get in tbe way though mate

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So this turned up today, can get on with timing belt this week. Also got some new water pump bolts because the heads had seen better days.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad to see you kept going with it, I know all too well how it feels when you put in hours and money for it to just not work when its done. Almost makes you throw in the towel but its all worth it in the end

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So after a lot of ringing round for quotes etc I’ve got the Nova booked in to be set up on a rolling road. I’ve booked it into Dyno solutions by Brands Hatch on the 27th March . Hopefully this will mean it’s set probably and I can get the Mot done that weekend.