Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bias box multiple problems

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bias box multiple problems

Am I going mad here or does none of this work with eachother?

Problem 1: Reservoir fittings, threads right but they both look like convex to me

Problem 2: Master cylinder pushrod length. It's too long, if I cut it down it'll be right at the end of the threaded section, is that OK for adjustability? Pic shows it wound all the way in and how much I'd need to remove.

Problem 3: For some reason the M10 thread coming out the bottom is a good 7cm+ shorter than the standard one, what am I supposed to do here, bodge it up with threaded sleeve and extra rod until it reaches the pedal?

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Personally I'd ring Hockly and ask as after all it's their product and it should be supplied good to go.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Promised a call back on Tuesday but didn't, all they said upfront was they don't use Wilwood master cylinders. The pushrod measurements I can see on the Wilwood site match the AP master cylinder specs though. If I find a replacement over xmas it'll be going back. Just nice to check I'm not being daft and doing stuff wrong!

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's any help then problem 1 shouldn't be a problem as I know of a load of lads running reservoirs like that just threaded straight into the cylinder, problem 2 might be a problem dependent on how the balance bar is set and I've no idea on problem 3. I've had no dealings with Hocklys myself but I know that allan at Pro-Tec is very helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Protec were helpful when I talked to them, I was thinking of theirs.

Ive just picked up another second hand bias box and you're right #1 isn't an issue. #2 is exactly the same on this other box, cut down push rods and no thread left. #3 I'm going to have to rig up a connecting bar to suit the pedal I guess.

It's just #2 I'm pondering now. I could space the master cylinders out from the box with washers?

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suppose you could space them out (make some ally or nylon spacers if you can) so long as there's enough thread on the mounting studs to bet a nyloc on it should be ok

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found I had to space the rear cylinder to get the bias to work properly and have had to cut the bars on nearly every bias box I have fitted ,also had to put washers either side of the bias assembly to get the bars parallel

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good stuff sounds like I'll need to cut them and space them out from the bias assembly slightly in order to get the balance bar horizontal.

Feels bodgy but oh well

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have a look at thread extensions from tool station it's basically a long nut around 50 mm long you can use to extend the rod
    ( is there a way to direct link photos on here ? )

not sure were I meant to be looking in the pic can you remove the rod an run a tap down it to extend the thread

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had all these problems, trimmed down the push rods to suit and are now fine, trimmed the M10 threaded section so I could get the pedal position Bob on for where I wanted it to be and the reservoirs are a standard size as most people remote mount them somewhere. Depending which ones you have it will be tough to fit them next to each other due to spacing as it is
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.