0 Thread(s)

It's all about running

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I was going to the gym quite regularly for the last year, with work getting so busy though it's on hold at the minute.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by paul james View Post
    I'm not a gym member, can't afford a monthly gym membership. Not sure I'd want to go to a gym often even if I could afford it, as when I have been to gyms it didn't seem that friendly with everyone listening to ipods. I workout Rocky IV style according to one of mates, I do quite a bit of running, even in rain or snow. I managed to get down to a 5 minute mile earlier this year, but have slowed down a bit since my running parter passed away, my much missed border collie. I have dumbells and a bench to use, I do have to be careful as I have loose joints from long ligaments, so can easily injur myself if I aim too heavy. I do curl 22kilo dumbells and bench about 80kilos, nothing impressive but I've always been skinny, then skinny with a belly before I took up exercising, so for me its good. I don't have any specific goals other than just trying to stay in decent shape, so I don't say I'm 'training'
    R.I.P your dog mate, I'm a dog lover and i mean dog lover I'll stop my work to stroke a dog, especially labradors! 22 kilo DB curls is decent so keep it up mate, running is only good for your cardio system weights is good for building a muscular body!

Quote Originally Posted by meritlover View Post
    I stand and observe the Gym. Lots of man touching going on, people who take far to much care in their appearance for a male dominated line of work.
    Then lots of mutual backslapping and high-fiving over a big juice bottles full of pancake mix.

After that, i was spent.
    In teh rong jim m9

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    It's all about running
    If you want to be cardio fit yes, want to be muscular then no, runners are never muscly! (Low bodyfat doesnt count as muscly even if theyre ripped, thats low BF %)

Quote Originally Posted by Southie View Post
    I was going to the gym quite regularly for the last year, with work getting so busy though it's on hold at the minute.
    I know them feels mate 60 hrs a week here or there abouts no time for much!!

Club Member Club Member bazzap8389's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 minute mile is proper impressive mate! I run 1.5 miles on my lunch break twice a week or so and my best is just under 8 mins a mile.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5 minute mile is crazy, my uncle used to do marathons and was doing 5 minute miles, I couldn't even do it in 10 minutes at the minute but thats not just due to being fat I have injurys!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wwmnw View Post
    5 minute mile is crazy, my uncle used to do marathons and was doing 5 minute miles, I couldn't even do it in 10 minutes at the minute but thats not just due to being fat I have injurys!
    All fat people have injuries.But most have more excuses

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all about if you have a physical job then you don't need the gym unless you want to have massive arms.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brainsnova View Post
    It's all about if you have a physical job then you don't need the gym unless you want to have massive arms.
    No true. I have a physical job, but gym it to lose my belly and want bigger wings and traps. (Latissimus doris muscles and trapezius)
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Senior User Club Member paul james's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bazzap8389 View Post
    5 minute mile is proper impressive mate! I run 1.5 miles on my lunch break twice a week or so and my best is just under 8 mins a mile.
    Quote Originally Posted by wwmnw View Post
    Thanks
    Its been a while since I last did it in 5 minutes, a recent effort was a bit over 6 minutes. I've put on a stone and a half recently though so theres a fair bit more of me to carry around.

As for running not being good for muscle build, its all about how you approach it. You don't see many 100m spinters who are thin. I tend to do just a 1 mile run, and try to do it quickly. I generally do that 4 or 5 times a week and incoporate quite a bit of uphill running and some all out sprints to push my legs harder. Sometimes I do longer runs, but my joints tend to complain when I try to go far. Another benefit of doing short runs several times a week is I don't get bored of it or struggle to find the time, especially since I usually just start straight out of my front door, so its very easy to fit it in a day.
    Last edited by paul james; 21-12-15 at 05:40 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's all about how you are at the point of what training you do; i.e. height, age, weight and what you want to achieve.

That is to say if age is catching up with you & you're built like a bricksh1thouse, you might find leaning out that muscle that wants to get saggy with running / swimming could work wonders ;0