Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Mk1 Black Saloon

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a shell yu can cut bits off if you want chassis bits and I'm only in South London. No outer wings or anything tho

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah mate thanks alot! if i need the front of the chassis leg would you be willing to sell that bit? Iv got a new front panel on the way so thats the main bit that could cause me a problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Come and cut it and it's yours, your lucky as the front pannel and o/s leg are bent

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are an absolute legend mate! im gonna give it a little try tonight if no joy i will get in touch if thats ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah mate no probs

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had a bit if a nightmare week with the old Man being ill and in hospital so tonight was the first night I managed to crack on with sorting out the front end so hers a little update.
    First off all stripped down front end ready to remove the front panel, bumpers in the garage ready for some repairs, lights out, wings off, front ARB and tie bars off.

Rather than removing the manifold etc to get the rad out i chopped the slam panel and thought this is good time to make a removable slam panel on the new front panel so this can be done in the future and I still keep the ID plates aswell.

With the rad out I made a start on finding and drilling out all the spot welds to remove the front panel, this was actually harder than I expected and was taking longer too.

And then to top things off the spot weld drill bit snapped should have another one coming tomorrow if not there's a screwfix round the corner.

So didn't get as much done as I wanted progress was slow but it's a start! Crack on tomorrow and hopefully il have the old panel off straighten the front of the leg and weld the new panel on
    checked my parts box and found a passenger side indicator which smashed so that was a good find! Although they aren't matching. Also thought of a few things I could do while everything is off the car that I'v been planning but they will be in the next update.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got some other bits here if you need anything mate, machine mart spot weld bits are the one

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or really? I just had one arrive this morning so try again this afternoon if not il get onto machine mart and give you a shout cheers mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, just tap the centre with a punch and it centres in and cuts it all out

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So the progress today went well I think, we took our time and chilled in the sun a lot but was good fun and made me feel like it will be ready for billing!
    So little update for you all, started by trying out hearing the chassis leg hammering/levering into position again

It started to work but it was slow and took a lot of effort so next up was getting my other car involved and the tow strap, wasn't sure how this was going to go but it did the job and straightened out the end of the chassis leg enough, it's not perfect but it's a lot better! Got two straps bolted on the leg through the hole for the bumper bracket and tow rope to the bmw.

Now I was happy with how straight the leg was I got on to welding out the spot welds for the cross member (there was a lot more than I thought!) and now the hole front panel has been removed

Next on the to do list was make up some plates that had rusted through so they got fabricated and welded on

And on with the new panel it fitted a lot better than I expected to be honest for a pattern part with a little persuasion of course but it's all bolted up with the tie bars to check for fitment and tacked on place ready for welding tomorrow

Whilst letting things cool down I turned my attention to the boot area the spare wheel well had the last bit of sound deadening in so that was knocked out and I have to make up a spare wheel clamp as mine broke, going to give the inside a paint tomorrow too