Thread: Mk1 Black Saloon

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Post Mk1 Black Saloon

Now I am finally a club member I thought I would start a project build, I am missing so many photos from when I first bought the car but I am trying to gather them all and try to fill in the gaps, but in the mean time here is a spec list and current photo of the my car

The Car
    Mk1 Vauxhall Nova 4 door Saloon –1987
    46,500 miles

It was a drunken night at university i placed a bid on the bay for the car and got an email the next day saying I won it
    And then it all began and the work below was carried out.

Exterior
    SR front bumper & grille
    Mk2 rear bumper
    Cesaros (& spare)
    Bonnet lifters
    Aero catches
    Front & Rear tow strap (Red TRS)
    Custom Boot Vinyl (SR style)
    Removed sunroof, Aluminium plated and riveted

Interior
    Fully Stripped
    Bucket Seats – Cobra Monaco S
    4 Point Harness (Red TRS Cobra)
    Mk1 Dash with - Custom Gauge plate –oil pressure, oil temp & water temp
    6 dial clocks
    Misc switches
    SR steering wheel
    Corsa internal shifter
    Custom door cards & grab handles
    Shift light

Chassis
    288mm Front Brakes
    240mm Rear Brakes (Corsa C Sri) with braided brake lines internally run with brake bias valve
    Adjustable coilovers all round
    6 point roll cage with door boors etc
    Front and Rear strut brace
    Secondary RARB
    Fully Poly Bushed
    Strengthened lower arms
    Cut back chassis leg
    Full Harry Hockly Chassis strengthening kit
    Engine bay seam welded

Mechanical
    C20XE – 1991 (I think) Cavalier Gsi 75,000miles
    Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
    F20 gearbox with corsa gear selector
    GTE drive shafts with mk2 cav inners
    GTE radiator with 12” slim line fan
    Rose jointed gear linkage
    Corsa B multi point injection fuel tank
    Fully braided fuel lines internally run
    2 1/4” Powerflo exhaust with 2 1/2”out rolled tip
    Battery re-location to boot with master cut off & pull cord
    Polyurethane engine mounts
    Omex rev limiter and launch control
    ZX9R Bike carb conversion with H&H ignition

To do list

Exterior
    Gsi sideskirts(sprayed Graphite Grey)
    Full respray car and wheels

Interior
    Plumbed in fire extinguisher
    Move drivers seat (make adjustable)
    Flocked dash
    Suede steering wheel
    Driver and passenger footrests

Mechanical
    Re-locate fusebox and washer bottle
    Last edited by ABoresta; 06-06-16 at 09:20 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very smart car that

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the wheel colour dude? I'm looking to get my cesaros a similar gun metal grey!!

Tidy looking motor!!

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House1983 View Post
    What's the wheel colour dude? I'm looking to get my cesaros a similar gun metal grey!!

Tidy looking motor!!
    Cheers guys
    The wheels i did with rattle cans from halfords for now until i get them powder coated it is a wheel spray I cant remember the exact colour but I will find out tonight and let you know.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The first picture I could find was with the engine already out, and the interior fully stripped with the seat frames welded in, internal shifter in place as a mock up and a quick coat of hamerite throughout the car.
    When I bought the car the wings and doors had all been smashed in, rear quarter glass was smashed and head was blown on the original 1.2 engine.

I lowered and pulled the passenger seat back as far as I could to try and lower the centre of gravity and improve weight distribution when I have a passenger.

As I was at uni when I started the project most parts were found on the internet at low prices which saw these Cobra Monaco S bucket seats with TRS Red 4 point harnesses £100 for the lot which I thought was a bargain! So these got test fitted to the car.

Next to address was the leaky sunroof,I took the original unit out completely and realised how heavy it was and decided to replace it with a sheet of aluminium and rivet it to the roof, no more leaks and weight saving.

Whilst at university I made use of the workshop and equipment there so I designed on my roll cage on CAD and made a 3D copy of it in 1/10th scale on the rapid prototyper (picture to come) the design was sent to safetydevices and as part of the project got some great help and the bars with bends were provided for a great price so all was left was welding it in and fabricating the straights and extra bars I wanted.

I picked up a grey mk1 dash and SR steering wheel at VBOA so that was fitted along with the 6 dial clocks I picked up as I wanted the tacho.
    I also had access to a laser printer at that time and made up a gauge plate for 3 gauges situated where the original stereo was as the car didn’t come with one anyway. Its just black acrylic and I put a little Vauxhall logo in the corner,simple, does the job and im pleased how it looks.

While I still had use of the ramp at uni I test fitted the engine I got from someone on migweb it was a very clean decent mileage engine at a decent price, so first job was to see where I had to cut back the chassis leg and I tig welded in some plates.

The gsi rad and slim line fan was next to be fitted, mounted it on the front of the rad as it is very tight in the back between the rad manifold and I think looks cooooool. Another little project I made use of the how to guides on here and made a rose jointed linkage, could do with a clean and paint but its all fitted and working.

First time driving it with the new engine back to the uni house and this is how shes sitting at the moment, with 256mm front brakes, bonnet lifters and bonnet pins, original bumpers and grille.
    Last edited by ABoresta; 02-07-15 at 07:52 AM.

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn’t decide what colour to paint the roll cage so I just kept it simple and went with silver as I didn’t want to leave raw steel in the car and have to treat that at a later date.

Realised I messed up and got mechanical gauges not ones with sensors and senders so I ordered new gauges and my stud conversion bits turned up too.

Got my hands on a SR bumper and grille and a mk2 saloon rear bumper, so they got sprayed up graphite grey and fitted, personally think it makes the car look a lot better.

Took a trip to Santa Pod for RWYB which was just fun to drive the car tobe honest, didnt run record breaking times but got some good feed back from the car on what I need to work on and change etc. The headlight came out for air flow (not sure if it makes a difference or not)

But on the way home the clutch cable snapped and I didnt have a spare so the lovely AA man took me all the way home (70 miles) after waiting 2 hours for him.
    Last edited by ABoresta; 26-06-15 at 08:55 AM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Really like the cage and the alternator cut out looks spot on!!

User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House1983 View Post
    Really like the cage and the alternator cut out looks spot on!!
    Iv recently found out the alternator cut out isn't big enough and the corner of the pulley still runs slightly so that has to be addressed before my track time next month.

The wheel paint I used was simoniz wheel steel

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All part of the fun mate!! Had to do the same to mine as it was rubbing the alternator, went to cut it out only to find that whoever had done the mod (previous owner) had simply cut a slice in the chassis leg with a grinder and hammered it in then seam sealed over it!! Nice!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Go hydraulic clutch!