Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Engine dilenma

I need some solid advice.

I've recently acquired a substantial box of parts that were supposed to be built into a power engine for me.

Due to certain circumstances I don't feel any trust at all in the purchased parts, there's nothing wrong with them at all, but I've just get a feeling like the parts have bad juju whenever I look at them in my spare room!!

Do I,

Keep it all, build it and just see what happens.
    Get another block (which I've already got in stock) bore it and then build the engine using the parts but sell the scrap the original block. This would make it a different engine.
    Sell the lot and start again.

I'm over £4,000 in at this point and I wouldn't even see half that back if sold as parts!!

Any opinions welcome.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what engine is it bud? Personally if it was me id build the engine and just replace any parts I was unsure about.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What playing on your mind about the parts ?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a 20XE, big power spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy View Post
    What playing on your mind about the parts ?
    I can't say for sure Mr Timmy, you just know when you look at something and it doesn't feel right, the crank was meant to be polished, isn't, the Block had been assembled and then dis-assembled so the rings are on the Pistons, who knows that's happened to them, the shells supplied are marked and dinked with little scratches.

I know people will say get a refund but I've gone down that route and it's all settled up now, I got some money back and it's dealt with but the bad taste is still in theoitj with it!! it's just where I go from here.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I realise "big power spec" isn't exactly expansive!!

ported head, +1mm valves, 296 cams, it's meant to be proper!!

I'm more than capable of building it myself so that's not the issue......it's hard to put into words!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Believe it or not engine parts can be measured quite accurately ~ Not sure where JuJu comes into it

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    Believe it or not engine parts can be measured quite accurately ~ Not sure where JuJu comes into it
    Thankyou Mr Ghost, can I assume you mean "get it checked, stop being a girl and build it already"?!?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like it's going to be outrageous; I'm in a different boat to some as upgrades happen one at a time & then it gets driven ~ If everything's new & assembled I'd be wearing kid gloves when it comes to drive time.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's a difficult situation, I fitted the ITB's and the fuel system upgrades got the car working as it should brakes and suspension, you know the drill.

Built myself a standard XE to see if I could do it (it's been a few years since I built an engine) now this was the last step, big power. I suppose I could build the bottoms end, run it with my current head then change the heads out assuming it does 1000 miles with no issues, the only trouble there is multiple trips to the RR for setup cos of the compression ratio changes and then again cod the cams in the new head.

It's difficult to decide how to play it!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why not build it all up, then take it to a decent RR and get them to get it sorted. running up new parts bit by bit is going to take you a very long time & waste a lot of money. it is either going to run or it isn't.. and the odds are that it will run perfectly well.