Thread: advice for after accident.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default advice for after accident.

Yesterday a guy ploughed straight into the back of my car. I was turning right at a junction with my indicator on and brakes on whilst waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear, He drove straight into me at 30-40mph.

He admitted liability.

The police were informed and although I told them he seemed a bit out of it (I assumed dope) they were disinterested and told me to phone my insurance.

I phoned them and after an hour of questions such as am I vat registered etc......we got there. As it is a straight forward case, I got the feeling that it was being suggested I might have whiplash and that would be a good route to go down but unless I am ill and off work etc (thankfully I seem to be ok) I have no interest in the sueing thing. I just want the money to get my car.

I took it for an estimate and was told it is uneconomical which was no surprise. The rear drivers wheel arch is buckled, rear light smashed, bumper and possibly back panel have moved and the tailgate is bashed.

His insurance phoned, taking full liability,offering a courtesy car, to send an assessor out to possibly come to a deal, physio if needed etc. I told them I would be doing nothing until I see what my insurance says/offers. I don't think his insurance should of contacted me directly?

At the end of the day, I want to keep the car, I don't seem to have any injury apart from the hassle, but I am unsure of the motives of both insurances,

I feel my company are after a sueing attitude as it is a clear case they can make loads of money from legal fees from the other company but will they actually have my interests at heart and how much money would I get.

I feel the other company wants me to make a deal asap so that there is no risk of getting sued for injuries etc.

What about other people's experiences/advice?
    Last edited by marc69; 24-03-15 at 11:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The other company will end up paying less by contacting you direct as you said if your one gets involved they'll rinse the other company for lack of a better word. your insurance would claim for total loss i think it's called and basically put your car in the most expensive garage they can find and make sure you have a courtesy car ect they'd also send you to a phsio who would help you realise you had whiplash if you know what i mean... so when the other company contacts you direct they save money thats the long and short of it. i know because it happened to me and i got cleared out for a cracked bumper and the bloke some how had whiplash at 10mph max but thats another story

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, I have no interest in clearing out the other company just for my companies benefits, all I am interested in is getting the money "pain in lou" they call it so I can get my car repaired.

I wonder if the other company would probably give me more money in that respect as it saves them all the litigation from the my company?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

My wife's just gone through a similar sort of insurance claim with someone running into her.

I'd advise you only deal with your insurance company and don't take notice of any calls from there insurance, this is why you've your own insurance company. Your insurance company will send through forms to fill in regarding what happened and you'll need to fill them in and do relevant diagrams.

Did you take pictures at the scene? If so they're definitely needed, no good though sending in pictures from the day after.

Also don't be surprise if you actually do end up with a mild neck ache of some kind, the nature of a crash always jars your head forward, if you feel any discomfort then I suggest you get to the doctors ASAP, I know your not wanting to get into a whip lash claim for the sake of it but tbh if your not right then the doctors will give you a claim to be had especially if your cars as bad as it sounds.

you'll get an assessor out from the other persons insurance at some point to inspect the damage of your car and in the mean time they'll supply a courtesy car, ask them how long though you'll have it for.

Depending on the damage of your car they'll either payout or possibly give you the chance to buy it back, all depends on the insurance company though.

hope this helps a little and I hope you're okay

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I have never worked with insurance companies before and I am a bit wary. I seem to be ok so far thanks, just a bit gutted as the car was only finished and MOT'd two weeks ago.....typical

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also be VERY VERY careful about the "blame" here!!!! He might well have admitted liability but once the insurance idiots get involved you may find it slips to 1/3 your fault because a long time ago there was a case in court of a similar accident and the judge deemed it to be partly the car in fronts fault for being there I had this as an issue when a motorbike went across the back of my car as I was MID turn at a junction.... so 100% not my fault, but the twunts went 50/50..... Top tip, don't bother with Kinnertons as a management company (and markerstudy who sky use weren't much help either... Sky were as helpful as they could be though)

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's interesting as mine is under written by market study.