Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 8valve-craig View Post
    2nd hand helmet? Really
    as long as it hasnt been wacked, as there only designed to take a single impact. whats wrong with second hand ? washing machine the pads, give it a clean.

some of the hi-end helmets cost loads. not all of us are made of money, i cant afford either. i hang my teabags out on the washing line

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that was a joke by the way.... i cant afford tea bags

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes the point above was what i was making, I sweat like a pig on track and rarely wear a balaclava so my helmet can get a bit ripe.

Suppose cleaning a second hand one isnt major, but I'd personally still prefer a new helmet.

Edit. And @ the Tea Bags.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

for a car i'd want an open face i think as you do lose a lot of peripheral vision in a full face.

one thing nobodys mentioned is trying them on before you buy them, a cheap helmet with a good fit is better than a good helmet if it doesnt fit right. all makes and models fit differently, some helmets suit some folk but not others so i always try a few on before buying a new one.

If it ay bost dow fix it! Club Member Nobby's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the input chaps my helmet is actually a large boys one and i had it gave me however i have seen a sparco one on demon tweeks ebay account for £70 see pics below and its meets ECE regs -

Any helmet that meets either the BS 6658:1985, or the "Economic Community of Europe" ECE 22.05 standards is considered road-legal in the U.K.. The BS 6658:1985 is a British standard. The standard is indicated by an oblong red, blue, or green sticker affixed to the back or side of the helmet with the BSI Kitemark symbol on it. Red stickers indicate fire-resistant linings. Blue stickers are used for high-performance helmets, and green stickers are used for lower-rated helmets.
    The ECE 22.05 standard (also known as ECE R22-05) is a European helmet standard. Helmets approved to this standard usually have a sticker at the bottom on the back of the helmet. The ECE standard does not have different levels like the British standard does.
    A third standard, the ACU Gold standard, is used for racing. ACU approved helmets are not road-legal unless they have been approved by either the BS 6658:1985 or the ECE 22.05 standard.
    A programme in the United Kingdom called SHARP, the Safety Helmet Assessment and Rating Programme, tests and rates various road-legal helmets. Buyers can refer to SHARP test results when choosing a helmet.

" If you aint breaking you aint racing! "

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use to use a motor bike helmet and found it was heavy and you lost some of your peripheral veiw so I changed to a open face sparco pro jet just over £250 and I bought the wife a sparco club about £80 both good helmets

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an open face bell helmet I use, gives me good vision and no sweaty face

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought a second hand one off ebay. An OMP open face, won it for 8quid. What a bargain. Lick of paint as i didnt like the white it came in and she was good to go.

Cant remember the size but was dubious as i didnt know how it would fit. Its tight going on but comfy when fitted.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brucer View Post
    Its tight going on but comfy when fitted.
    How it's supposed to be anyway bud, sounds like a bargain!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Show us yer helmet's
    success is only limited by a weak mind