Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Inth' Garage

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

once I had the car in primer I made a start on the doors and tailgate, first removing the rubstrip

then made a plate to fit in the door lock recess.

tacked in, ground off, and a skim of fibreglass to fill the gaps between the tacks..

moved on to the tailgate and bare metalling more of where the old guy had varnished

moved on to the drivers side door, the original door off the car had rotted, so that was scrapped, as it happends I sold these doors 2-3 years ago to a local lad who had an sr, they sat in his garage ever since as he wrote his car off shortly after, as luck would have it I bumped in to him in town one day, got chatting n he asked if I wanted to buy the doors back, as the doors were off an sri they had the window surrounds and electric window motors in so bought the pair off him,
    I didn't realise at the time the drivers door had been broken into at one point and had been bent back at the top, so I trial fitted it to make sure it would fit ok before painting.

started to prep the door filling a couple of shallow dents, im not completely happy with this door but something I can change in the future if I decide to.

the door was a little crusty underneath so peeled off the original seem sealer, wire wheeled, rust treated and etch primed

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, “DAMN, what a ride!!”

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

once the doors and tailgate were prepd I etch primed the repairs on the panels.

around Christmas last year a friend had bought a tatty looking red 106 gti, he pulled the engine out of it, seem welded up the bay, painted the bay bright white rebuilt the engine, uprated cams pugsport exhaust solid engine mounts, lsd etc etc he hadid a real quick turn around on it and really gave me some enthusiasm to get cracking on mine,
    I started to strip the sealer from the front wheel arches ready for seem welding and started to remove the engine..

my old man (on the right) and his drinking buddy having a nose at what im up to..

empty bay

going to leave it there for now, the mrs is moaning...
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, “DAMN, what a ride!!”

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice tidy bay and arches.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    Nice tidy bay and arches.
    cheers benn, yh its a nice solid shell only needing a few small repairs, im currently working on the floorpan its all stripped down to the original primer, been very happy not to find any hidden nastys under the sealer any where.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fantastic body work skills!

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Balley View Post
    Fantastic body work skills!

Cheers balley my old man did an apprenticeship when he was a lad and worked for several years doing bodywork, so I've kinda picked it up from him and self taught bits and bobs along the way from various different cars I've had. I actually quite enjoy doing it tbh.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

once the engine was out I stripped everything from the engine bay and started to clean the seems and removed the washer bottle bracket.

firewall smooted

wiring grommet hole blanked.

inner arches cleaned up and seem welded.

found another another repair needed on the front panel.

Last edited by ben doodar; 05-10-14 at 10:36 PM.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

found another bit of rot whilst digging around under all the underseal the old guy had covered everything.

original piece to go back on,

battery tray.

after all repairs I began I to flat the engine bay for etch primer then primer and paint.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That colours epic