Thread: Inth' Garage

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Inth' Garage

Ive been meaning to start a projects thread for a while now.
    So thought Id finally make a bit of time to do so. Currently waiting on 400 photos to load to photobucket.

I've had 6 novas including a few I've never had on the road. Some of you may remember my old gsi.

After this I started to build a c20let nova seem welded the engine bay fitted f28 mount fitted a strengthening kit, at the time my little lad was 1 and I'd met my now girlfriend. I lost interest in the nova and my dad was sick of it sitting doing nothing in the garage. I saw a fairly standard white GTE on pistonheads with 6 months tax n test with the owner looking to swap for something vauxhall related I got in contact and a deal was done.
    I thought this would be a good idea as I had a complete nova with the chance of doing a few jobs over the winter on it to make it my own, after a couple of months on the road as a 2nd car I pulled it off the road and into the garage for a proper look at it. It was very crusty underneath with plate over plate welded on to it. I was losing interest in this rapidly with more and more welding need doing, and over all the car had been Bodged together over the years, that's it! I was putting it back together for a quick MOT and to sell it on, I was never having another ****ing nova again!!!

Before selling the GTE a nova SX came up for sale in the classifieds on here it was the same as my first nova but black not white. There were no photos of it but the owner said it was very solid and original it was only in Manchester around 25-30miles away, I kept thinking about it but it was more money than I was going to spend on another ******* nova, I didn't even want another nova.. Did I?

A week or 2 later I noticed that the lad lowered the price on it as it was stored at his work and it needed gone. Curiosity got the better of me, as it was a mk2, sx, so had rev counter sr steering wheel spoiler etc and it was an sx like my first nova when i was 18! + the possibility of it being a solid car! I needed to go and look at it, to see that it was really a rotten old dog, get it out of my system and get on with my life! I managed to get in contact after some faffing and made a time to go and look at it.

so one foggy October morning in 2012 I made a travel brew and got in my car to go and have a look at another ******* nova, when I got there I was suprised to see a nice shiny, tidy, original looking nova sat on the car park, after spending 20 minutes looking around it and underneath it with a hand lamp and poking screwdriver I had to have it!!

Last edited by ben doodar; 27-09-14 at 12:23 AM.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, “DAMN, what a ride!!”

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first job was to replace the steering coloumn as the car had been stolen recovered when I bought it.

next to do was make a start on replacing the rear arches.

with the outers removed and the inner arches repaired

edge on the arch joggled and welded in place, I got carried away and welded the whole seem, something I wish I didn't do as it distorted so had to spend more time panel beating it straight and filling it.

got it to a point I could move on to the other side

Last edited by ben doodar; 27-09-14 at 12:50 AM.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and proclaiming, “DAMN, what a ride!!”

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

moved to the other side, wasnt as bad but still needed replacing so sanded up the arch with emery cloth to find spot welds

chopped out with a 1mm cutting disc on an angle grinder, inner arch repaired

arch repaired and joggled

into position

tacked in this time

coat of fibreglass tthis time as it wasn't seem welded

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first skim of filler

after the arches were done I moved to a repair on the rear panel

Last edited by ben doodar; 27-09-14 at 10:41 AM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking good ben.
    nice job on the arches

is it black or dark blue ? .. i cant tell.
    id leave it as it is myself, on those sr wheels, looks good.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers jim it was black, these pics are from last year tho so much more to show

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know you have done them (and well btw) but il say this for anyone reading who is maybe thinking of having a go.
    When welding NEVER keep the weld going continuously.Weld in short trigger pull bursts.A second is all it takes then move along.
    this prevents the panel from distorting.
    Car looks well and you have made a nice job of them arches.

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice tidy job on the drivers arch. As Andy said, never fully weld as you've learnt...
    Gonna be a good thing me thinks.
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cheers for the nice comments, I knew at the time I shouldn't off seem welded the passenger side arch but got trigger happy with the welder.

next i moved to a little repair on the front panel

repair made awaiting to be welded in

next was to repair the splash guard where the factory aeriel goes through

I didn't want an obvious patch on display in the arch so joggled the piece in from behind

welded and painted with kurust

moving on to the bonnet slam panel this was a tricky piece to make and spent a while making various patches that I wasn't happy with, got there after a bit of messing about though.

Club Member Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

welded in and red oxide for protection whilst I move to something else