User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by House1983 View Post
    Not sure I'd class anything I've done as quality but thanks!! hahaha

The mounting of the pedal box was a pain!! I think I could have got it hard against the bulkhead and in hindsight that's what I would have done. Get the top of the pedal box hard on the bulkhead and then make your brackets and stuff around that, one other issue to think of is the steering wheel, if you go hard against the B pillar then there's a highly likelyhood that your wheel will be too far away!! As for bleeding, bench bleed it fully and then repeat once it's in the car, make sure that the rest of the braking system stays the same as in discs and pads that worked on the old M/c that way you know any issues are with the pedal box and you're not chasing around the car.

As for progress today, BOOM got it bled somehow and even managed an MOT!!!!

So just some tax and we're road legal and ready to go. Prague on Tuesday for 2 weeks and then fingers crossed we can get a day in with Iain before he starts his new job!!

Ref the steering wheel, I have a Corsa Epas system to go in and will be extending the column 'oval race' style to suit the seating/pedal position. Also running a Quaife internal shifter so the handbrake needs to sod off elsewhere and the gear lever go in that position somewhere.

Get that tax sorted!

Go low or Go home. Moderator Benn's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bring it to pvs then?
    All I wanted was a Pepsi, just one Pepsi
    Far from suicidal
    Still I get them tendencies
    Bringing back them memories
    That I really miss when I reminisce

Club Member Club Member TallDave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its good to see the car is coming along so nicely, presumably you've got your newly built engine in it, or have you? Come on spill the beans, I need a juicy engine rebuild fix...

On the pedal box front, I feel I ought to stick my oar in because seemingly that is what I do. I notice the master cylinders lay over at an angle, a feature that is common to most of the floor mounted units. The problem as I see it is that in this configuration the outlet ports are not positioned at the top of the M/C bores, which means that air will remain in the M/C until such time as the cylinder is rotated to allow this admittedly minute amount of air to escape. This is somewhat exacerbated by the fact the cylinders are facing uphill with the outlet port at the bottom! Not good for pumping the air out of the system .

All is not lost however as I believe that one of the advantages of such an installation is that when the pedal is in the released position any air in the M/C will tend to migrate back out to the reservoir, however this will only happen if the M/C is in the upright (ports at the top) position.
    So it might it not be worth releasing the M/Cs from the box and rotating them slightly anticlockwise to allow any minute amount air to work its way out? Could leave them in that position while you off slogging your guts out in some foreign clime . Hopefully you should have a solid pedal once you've re-affixed the M/Cs to the pedal box and them bled out the calipers, surely got to be worth a try?

Anyway I'll go away and get back in my box now...

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mxcrazy View Post
    Ref the steering wheel, I have a Corsa Epas system to go in and will be extending the column 'oval race' style to suit the seating/pedal position. Also running a Quaife internal shifter so the handbrake needs to sod off elsewhere and the gear lever go in that position somewhere.

Get that tax sorted!
    Tax is being rolled tomorrow morning, cheap as chips!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    Bring it to pvs then?
    PVS booked my man!! Just not decided on drivin it there or trailering it!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TallDave View Post
    Its good to see the car is coming along so nicely, presumably you've got your newly built engine in it, or have you? Come on spill the beans, I need a juicy engine rebuild fix...

On the pedal box front, I feel I ought to stick my oar in because seemingly that is what I do. I notice the master cylinders lay over at an angle, a feature that is common to most of the floor mounted units. The problem as I see it is that in this configuration the outlet ports are not positioned at the top of the M/C bores, which means that air will remain in the M/C until such time as the cylinder is rotated to allow this admittedly minute amount of air to escape. This is somewhat exacerbated by the fact the cylinders are facing uphill with the outlet port at the bottom! Not good for pumping the air out of the system .

All is not lost however as I believe that one of the advantages of such an installation is that when the pedal is in the released position any air in the M/C will tend to migrate back out to the reservoir, however this will only happen if the M/C is in the upright (ports at the top) position.
    So it might it not be worth releasing the M/Cs from the box and rotating them slightly anticlockwise to allow any minute amount air to work its way out? Could leave them in that position while you off slogging your guts out in some foreign clime . Hopefully you should have a solid pedal once you've re-affixed the M/Cs to the pedal box and them bled out the calipers, surely got to be worth a try?

Anyway I'll go away and get back in my box now...
    Your input is always welcome Mr Tall. I can't rotate the cylinders, they're on fixed holes, I could tip the pedal box up I suppose but now that it seems to be working I'm inclined to leave it well alone!!! I do have to change the flexi lines to my proper ones so I'll be re-bleeding then!! Loads of fun!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't matter what orientation master cylinders are, for both service & operation; they should always be bled hydraulically.

A one man brake bleeding kit that takes the pressure from a road wheel can be bought new for less than £20.

~ There's quite a lot happening off that pedal box; are you not tempted to put an F18 hydraulic clutch slave on?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mr Ghost, having looked at all the issues Lee303 had with leaking slaves I wanna stick with cable.

I've got 3 different one man bleed kits, none of which worked. The only way I could do it was by tubing the solid pipes back to the resoviour and pumping the pedal over and over. I would guess that now th system is air free I could use a pressure bleeder. I need to find one with a cap that fits OBP resoviours

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MOT

The only issue were rear brakes not working to well from the pedal but a little bias adjustment solved that and side repeaters not working, that needs a little investigation, which i'll do when I take the wings off to hide some cables

On to today,

Speed sensor mounting

Fully welded in place

Little vid of it working, taken on a private road.

http://vid27.photobucket.com/albums/...F1A5E36E08.mp4

This was the the biggest ballache ever, changing door pins, I did not enjoy it, so much so that the drivers one hasn't been done as it's not as bad!!!

Mate of mine is gonna polish it next week, ordering my Quaife LSD on 15th and hopfeully Iain and I are fitting it before the hit Cadwell on 26th, assuming Iain can sort his engine issues.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't wait to look round this !

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevster View Post
    I can't wait to look round this !
    Mate, don't get your hopes up!! you'll be disappointed!! There's so much I'm not happy with!!!