Page 47 of 211 FirstFirst ... 3745464748495797147 ... LastLast

Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One thing I'm sure of running in with no load at all is no good , you do need to get the piston rings to get pushed toward the cilinderwall.
    The part about bending the peaks I find hard to believe, they wear off and grind the rings to a better seal I've been told and read in the past.
    There was once a test from Yamaha I believe that compared two bikes , one easy on the throttle the other warm up and 3/4 open cool down
    Warm up again 100%. resulted in better performance and less oil consumpion.
    In my own experiance 10W40 good quality does the job no need for expensive high grade oils and lost of marketing to pay for.
    I won't say these higer grade don't do the job but I've never had a single problem with my 10W40 oils in the 14 years of competition experiance.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I did few revs / load for first 100 odd miles increasing to a limit of 6,000rpm at 500 miles followed by oil change. After that it's seen more load & rpm, but not upto redline on the road. Just keep changing the oil to begin with once it goes black circa 3k miles & you wont go far wrong.

Other thing to check in my experience is cam belt after 500 miles as it tends to slacken off slightly.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hillclimber16v View Post
    One thing I'm sure of running in with no load at all is no good , you do need to get the piston rings to get pushed toward the cilinderwall.
    The part about bending the peaks I find hard to believe, they wear off and grind the rings to a better seal I've been told and read in the past.
    There was once a test from Yamaha I believe that compared two bikes , one easy on the throttle the other warm up and 3/4 open cool down
    Warm up again 100%. resulted in better performance and less oil consumpion.
    In my own experiance 10W40 good quality does the job no need for expensive high grade oils and lost of marketing to pay for.
    I won't say these higer grade don't do the job but I've never had a single problem with my 10W40 oils in the 14 years of competition experiance.
    You're right running in with zero load, is not correct, I've just re-read and it needs editing to say "it is essential the engine is run in with the minimal amount of load needed to ensure the rings "seal" correctly" I haven't worded that bit very well!!! The meaning I'm trying to get at is too much load is bad!!

Bending the peaks is the term Jay used, I wasn't in a tunnel when he said that bit!! I guess on a microscopic level the peaks are flatted over into the troughs, that's the point that was trying to be conveyed.

I'm cool with 10/40 mate, I actually use 10/60 now for trackdays, the running in oil Jay speaks of isn't expensive, it's just a mineral oil with a zinc additive (I imagine there are other special things added into it aswell to aid running in) I wont be paying top dollar for it, I imagine I'll get 15 litres as a little present from the guys!!

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    I did few revs / load for first 100 odd miles increasing to a limit of 6,000rpm at 500 miles followed by oil change. After that it's seen more load & rpm, but not upto redline on the road. Just keep changing the oil to begin with once it goes black circa 3k miles & you wont go far wrong.

Other thing to check in my experience is cam belt after 500 miles as it tends to slacken off slightly.
    All my running in will be done on the rolling road by Track and Road, I've previously discussed it with them and they have their own way of running in that is not dissimilar to the one Jay spoke of on the phone, essentially, mapping the car low down with light loads, all over the rev range up to 5k ish, then oil change and power mapping.

Then run the car and come back after 1500 miles for any map tweaks.

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lots in interesting insights with regards to running in. One matter everyone seems to agree on is running in with minimal to zero load is a bad idea.
    The fine honing is also known as "plateau honing" which makes for shorter running in/bedding in time.
    Speaking of honing: from a reliable source I was told the Japanese bore and hone a block in a matter of seconds. This makes for rather unround (for lack of a better word) bores which makes you wonder why their engines last as long as they do. Proper boring and honing (and fine honing) takes a hours rather than seconds.
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jay said the Japanese do some funky things when it comes to boring and honing but it seems to work for them!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got a few things done,

Car has been completely stripped from the steering wheel forward, got the upper firewall cut out.

Found a little hole under the battery clamp, cut that out and did some CAD to get a little repair in there.

Then set about filling the un needed holes in the firewall itself, bit of weldy weldy and grindy grindy, also filled a few screw hole that were about and removed the metal tabs for the fuel and brake pipes that are no longer needed.

Got the wire brush out on the drill and attacked the hammerite, I've ordered a little sand blaster for the air line that I think will take off the rest as it's not stuck very well, got a guy that's prepared to spray the bay and inside cheap enough so just getting it prepped for him is the main goal. He said to Etch prime any bare metal areas as he can deal with it easier than he can deal with hammerite!!

Busy as for the next 5 weeks so don't expect a huge amount of progress, have got some Schultz to re-underseal the rear once the front is finished I can jack up the rear and remove the beam and attack it under there, I know it's solid so just needs wire brushing and re-coating.

Then I need to move the passenger seat, make a mount up for the tank on the floor where the rear bench used to sit and get the battery into the passenger footwell behind a footrest that i've already got.

Started the new dash aswell.

That's about it really!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also been playing with some big boys toys this week in London right opposite the O2 arena.

18 Metre to the top floor, not the biggest we've done but the first needing a tower crane for installation, was good fun in gusting 45mph winds

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like the bay welding wish I'd done similar plating mine over. Not as much hammerite as I thought. Going to look 100% better in the bay after all this.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Like the bay welding wish I'd done similar plating mine over. Not as much hammerite as I thought. Going to look 100% better in the bay after all this.
    It's not the prettiest but it's a track car not a show car!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have you ever thought about racing this car?

http://www.trackattackraceclub.com/p...p?season_id=36