Page 14 of 211 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks mate, a whole wide world of possibilities have opened up with the purchasing of a welder!!!

I can keep the rust at bay as it appears now, get my seats mounted properly at my leisure!!

Also picked up a set of these

Dunno why but I like the look of them, I won't be able to see bugger all but who cares what's going on behind!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got these fitted this evening, pretty happy with them.

Didn't get any passenger side pics as battery died!!

You can see more than I thought out of them. The standard ones were rattling and looking way past their best.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

The mirrors look good, what make are they?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/...n-race-mirrors

SPA design, whoever they are, 2 models available, nylon and carbon, I went with nylon as carbon were £90 something quid each!!

Mount up pretty easy and I think they look decent!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oil cooler today.

Bracket made up, bit of gash welding. I did add in some proper welds to this, and spray it!!

Mounted up in position, had to go behind the water rad, can't see this being a problem, water runs at 80 degrees, oil stat doesn't open until 90.

All fitted in as planned, lines run close to the exhaust manifold but it's wrapped so I cant see it being too much of an issue.

I also changed both outer CV joints today and discovered that these had been done correctly with proper "big block" shafts having used by the previous owner. No pics of the CV jonts as I'm sure we all know what they look like!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Few bits done in the last couple of days.

Agreed with Andy that I'll deliver the car on Good Friday for him to get spraying, gotta drive it to North Wales for that so kind of need it working.

Few bits I wanted to get done before it gets sprayed.

Wings off and repair the little bit of rust in behind the drivers shock tower, then clean up and paint the inner wings, no real rust here, few bubble of surface rust that soon cleaned up with air gun wire wheel.

Removed the bumpers to see if there were any surprises behind there, to my utter amazement there was nothing but some very slight surface bubbling!! It appears the previous owner wasn't lying too much when he said there was "no rust on it at all" wire wheeled and etch primered, Andy is Schultzing these bits when he's got the bumpers off for spraying.

Got the rear strut brace finally mounted to the turrets instead of on the tops of the shocks, I know this will make Benn happy Not sure the welding is up to much though, it's been a fair few years since i welded anything but I'm getting back into it!!

As I want to get the fuel lines in the car, I've decided to go with an internal tank and single HP fuel pump, getting rid of the swirl pot, this is a 27 litre, foam filled Demon Motorsport effort, seems pretty well made, used some box section I had lying around to rig up some temp mounts and the ratchet straps are temporary until I can get to Tim and get some ally straps made up, used some 5mm sticky back foam stuff to go between the tank and box section, seems to work well.

Bulkhead fittings, toyed with the idea of coming up through the passenger side but couldn't find anywhere decent to get in to bring them through, this seemed the best option.

Bulkhead fittings and new braided lines up to the fuel rail.

The return line from the FPR is a complicated one, the FPR uses barbs that I can't do anything with, so I've got to use some rubber hose with some barb to AN fittings, tempted to order a new FPR with AN-6 fitting on it but it's £80. I'll see how much the rubber hose annoys me!!

Thought these looked pretty neat, got a few more spacers and aluminium P clips coming this week, using some 5mm rivets to hold them in, opened out the holes meant for the plastic trims.

Few more clips and spacers will make this a bit neater.

Hoses all into the rear ready to go, tomorrow I'll get the old tank stripped out and get the pump mounted back in the car and wired in, got a delivery expected Tuesday for all my AN-8 tank fittings and stuff for my tank breather, had a genius idea for a fuel gauge too, more to come if it works, if it doesn't work, we'll never speak of it again.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wired the HP pump in, tried to get it done neatly obviously!!

Got the old fuel lines pulled out and emptied the fuel tank, got the old tank feed and return blocked off Andy is gonna drop the tank out for me as it's a lot easier up on the ramps as opposed to me trying to do it on the drive!!

Got a breather plumbed in out the bottom of the wheel well that will have a 1 way valve in it when it arrives!!

Just waiting for the last few AN fittings and I can get some fuel in the tank and see if it works. Then it's off oooop North at 3am Good Friday morning. I wonder how many miles the 27 litre tank will get me!!!

I've got a 90 degree fitting and an in-line filter going onto the tank outlet, I just connected it to keep the dirt out of things!!

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Craigy View Post
    how come you never went further with the engine that failed? surely its the guys fault who built it with wrong size bearings?! i'd be cheeses off if he didnt pay for it all!
    Try proving it was his fault... very hard. Not saying it's impossible but very hard. Had the same thing happening to me with a freshly rebuild engine and despite being convinced it was their fault, I got nowhere.
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nova_niek View Post
    Try proving it was his fault... very hard. Not saying it's impossible but very hard. Had the same thing happening to me with a freshly rebuild engine and despite being convinced it was their fault, I got nowhere.
    This has all been dealt with now Niek, Phil is paying me back what's owed and replacing the faulty parts that were sent as part of the new engine. The lesson has been learnt and its onwards and upwards!!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looking good this mate, will be good to see it all in paint