Page 181 of 211 FirstFirst ... 81131171179180181182183191 ... LastLast
Results 1,801 to 1,810 of 2103

Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All this because you've been riding the clutch like a grandma?!?

Seriously tho, that sucks, but at least you'll be rolling again by the weekend.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Simps View Post
    All this because you've been riding the clutch like a grandma?!?

Seriously tho, that sucks, but at least you'll be rolling again by the weekend.
    Hahahaha excessive clutch slip was a reason they gave but I don't do that!! Haha

Never mind, onwards and upwards!! I've been taking care of a few little jobs while it's been on the ramp at Ben's, I'll update in due course.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default House's ITB XE build and re-build

So after discussion with James @ Relentless, who has been excellent helping sort this all out, he has been in contact with AP.

They recommend that we switch to a 4 paddle, which is on order to be delivered here tomorrow and fitted.

However, on Monday when we first spotted the friction plate damage we immediately ordered another 6 paddle from AP as a direct replacement. As above I've been advised not to use it but thought I'd take a look at it as it arrived today.

My original friction plate which AP say has no design issues and the cracking is down to either something I've done or engine harmonics.

The new friction plate, same part number, totally different design..... notice the paddles are bigger, the slots end in oval shaped holes not round.

In short that's a totally different friction plate!!!

I've taken the opportunity while at Ben's to do a few little things that have been on the list for a while, cleaned all my oil lines and engine strainers, cleaned the bay, made an attempt at some front brake cooling and sorted my headlight inlet.

Brake cooling

Cut the plates out in the guillotine and welded them up myself, as I'm now in the circle of trust, Ben lets me use the MIG!! Added some outlets and a splash of paint, these are just proof of concept so probably not the finished item.

There's not much space in there so it's a case of best of a bad job, these tubes use a plate shaped to match the caliper bracket and act as a washer behind the brakes to knuckle bolts. Best solution we could come up with.

Ducted using a flexi rubber ducting which is really good but doesn't contain the wire inside so if a wheel touches it then I hope it won't explode and end up in something.

Engine inlet feed

Didn't like the way the air feed came out the headlight, looked a bit too shonky, so I set about making a headlight blank, I've aslo got a headlight sticker coming that I'll cut the hole out the middle of. Should look decent when done.

Fingers crossed we'll be back running tomorrow!!!
    Last edited by House; 29-07-20 at 04:22 PM.

Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds a bit sus to me personally, 'nothing wrong with our products despite us changing the design significantly for the same item'. There's treachery afoot me thinks

Quote Originally Posted by House View Post

Oohhh I do like the brake cooling, though that does look ever so much like my vacuum cleaner hose... hmmmm

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nova_Tek View Post
    Oohhh I do like the brake cooling, though that does look ever so much like my vacuum cleaner hose... hmmmm
    Busted!!!!

The workshop is going to be a little bit messier from now on!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default House's ITB XE build and re-build

Friction plate arrived at 11.40am, car was driving at 4.30pm.

Ben found an old transit 1"x23 spline input shaft. He lined it up by eye and then checked it with the input shaft and it was bang on, so on went the box. I'm shit at lining them up so let Ben's skills run free!!!

Back in the car, everything just bolts into place no crow bar or effort needed, so easy!!

Sorting the wiring and water hoses at the back of the block

Boom, back together and drives really well, clutch feels totally different, bite is mid pedal travel now where as it used to be right at the top of the pedal.

While things were apart I got the chance to investigate an annoying "ting tinging" noise like something was touching the flywheel, it happened every time I turned right only, my thoughts were starter motor gear touching the flywheel!! I was proved right, the return spring on my Brise starter motor had come off and the cog was free to flop in and out, everytime I turned right the centrifugal force pushed the cog out to touch the flywheel!!! Annoying but now solved!!

Anyway, Mallory 12th August.
    Last edited by House; 30-07-20 at 09:33 PM.

Gold Club Member# 001 Club Member Nova_Tek's Avatar
    Hertfordshire..... Builds: ......... Snowplough'd LET
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Front bumper looks fresh!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Excellent!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I didn't realise you could get flexi pipe that didn't have the wire support - good to know.

That friction plate is massively different....

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    I didn't realise you could get flexi pipe that didn't have the wire support - good to know.

That friction plate is massively different....
    I have some spare if you want it