Thread: House's ITB XE build and re-build

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nova_niek View Post
    Got to love tools - and room to put them somewhere.
    Does the lathe run a 3 phase motor? If so, is it hard or expensive to get 3 phase connected to your home/workshop in the UK?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A505FN met Tapatalk
    Hey Niek,

The workshop was without power when I took it over as a barn, I had to pay for the UK power network people to make a connection to a box just inside our land and then run a cable the 110 metres to the barn!! You can see the green box behind the gate, this connects via a trench to the cable in the street.

This was around ?5,500 to have a 3-phase connection to the green box. However the cable up to the workshop is just single phase so all my stuff is single phase but I could upgrade to 3-phase in the future if need be. Luckily the land owners are solid so we spilt the power connection costs in half.

The lathe is about to get an upgrade to a VF drive so I can control the speed, if that works out I'll do the same to the mill as belt changes on the mill are a pain in the ass!!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Simps View Post
    I am so jealous House
    Don't be jealous mate!! Hahaha it's a mess!!!

Just bought 100 boxes from big dug cos I need it organised!!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Every House needs a barn.
    Yes I do!!

Club Member Club Member nova_niek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Every House needs a barn.
    Agreed.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A505FN met Tapatalk
    One day I'll start a build thread. One day...

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update.

Box delayed until June at the earliest due to supply chain issues. Upon reading the quote it actually says "delivery up to 12 months from order" however SWR are cool, they're lending me the dummy box to allow us to measure shafts and make mounts and get the lever in.

In the meantime I've just dropped a few k on the RS6 aiming for 800bhp new 100 cell cat down pipes, new larger intercoolers, plus all new suspension arms and some other bits. The engine has to come out to fix an oil leak from a vacuum pump, so may aswell upgrade it all while it's out.

Hoping the turbos are ok or it'll be another ?5k for those. But then it'll see 850bhp so win some loose some!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 3 phase

Quote Originally Posted by House View Post
    Update.

Box delayed until June at the earliest due to supply chain issues. Upon reading the quote it actually says "delivery up to 12 months from order" however SWR are cool, they're lending me the dummy box to allow us to measure shafts and make mounts and get the lever in.

In the meantime I've just dropped a few k on the RS6 aiming for 800bhp new 100 cell cat down pipes, new larger intercoolers, plus all new suspension arms and some other bits. The engine has to come out to fix an oil leak from a vacuum pump, so may aswell upgrade it all while it's out.

Hoping the turbos are ok or it'll be another ?5k for those. But then it'll see 850bhp so win some loose some!!!
    Hi house there is a company in clydebank glasgow that will sell you a invertor to run your mill and or laith that will convert your single phase to 3 phase you can contoll the speed my old boss built a workshp in his garage i can try to get details and a cumpany and phone number if you want.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigsteviesti View Post
    Hi house there is a company in clydebank glasgow that will sell you a invertor to run your mill and or laith that will convert your single phase to 3 phase you can contoll the speed my old boss built a workshp in his garage i can try to get details and a cumpany and phone number if you want.
    Thanks mate, both the motors in the lathe and mill are single phase already, I've just bought an inverter kit and new motor to run the lathe, if that's a success I'll do the same for the mill.

Thanks for thinking of me though, I was looking at a 3-phase parts washer so might be useful to have some details if you've got them..

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Small update for you.

Got the dummy from SWR, Ben worked his magic

Rear mount is a direct fit to the old mount. The only issue we have is the shift rod points directly at the rack, however we may have a solution for that using the paddle shifter rocker, albeit modified to suit us.

Looking at using this paddle shifter

Minus the top link and extended down towards the diff, this would allow the shift rod to come out below the rack, which would work for us.

More updates to come as progress progresses.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quick update

Mocked up in 3D printed plastic, just needs a smaller steering rack boot and it'll be perfect.

Now to get them to make it in Aluminium.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like you have got away with that one.
    Looking good forward to seeing this back out on track.