Thread: Knock Knock, Corsa D top mounts??

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Knock Knock, Corsa D top mounts??

Hi, a mate at work asked me to look at his Corsa D (59 plate) because it was knocking like a biatch. I got under it and gave the wheels a shake and there seemed to be a lot of movement coming from the top mount. I was confident that was the problem but after some research I'm not so sure. Found this on a government site about MOTs
    "Right, now for one from the MOT boys! When checking movement in the top strut mounts of new Vauxhall Corsa D models with the front wheels hanging free they can display quite a bit of lift, but the VSI doesn’t give any tolerances.

Why not? Well, quite simply because there aren’t any – the manufacturer doesn’t have any to give. Reason for Rejection 2.5.A.1(c) contains a note reminding testers that many of these mounts may have a degree of compliance (movement) as a design feature (just like VW Golf top mounts) and that failure is only justified when play is due to adjustment, repair or replacement being necessary.

In the case of the Corsa, the rubber mount is conical and sits in a conical seat. When the front suspension is hanging free – as a MacPherson-type suspension should be – the rubber mount can become unseated, hence the ‘lift’ when using a bar under the wheel."

It says nothing about sideways movement, but if the top mount is out of its seat surely it will be able to move?
    So does anyone know what else the Knock could be? Has anyone done top mounts on a Corsa D as they look like a PITA to get at? Any other advice will be appreciated.
    I know this isn't a Corsa D forum but its the only forum I'm registered on and I know there's a wealth of knowledge on here somewhere! Hopefully some of it's relevant!
    Thanks
    Nick

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd have a good look at the antiroll bar links and make sure there isn't any movement in the joints, they knock like mad when theres a bit of movement in them.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah all the D's ive looked at have loads of play in them, nothing to worry about there. As said above, ARB drop links can sometimes be hard to spot play in them if the front wheels are hanging. Then check the obvious, like ball joints and tracky ends....

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, I'll have another look with that in mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is an old thread but did it have a lot of movement like this?
    https://youtu.be/Eayl5XHRdbQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They do have lots of movement in the top mounts and the can be different from n/s to o/s and car to car apart from Arb links the bolt in the steering column is a common one for causing a knock remove the trim under the steering wheel and there is a bolt just by the motor that needs tightening up