Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Derv

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like i said, if the innards of the pump are dry, it simply won't suck, gear pumps don't pump when dry, they need priming. pour some fuel down the pipe into it, it will only take a tiny amount, like a few cc's of fuel.

i can't remember if the filter is a spin on mounted vertically, but if it is, you can fill it up too, it will help to get the pump filled quicker

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

when i took the pipe off that goes from the filter to the pump i could see fuel at the top of the filter so i know that is filled but the pipe didn't have anything in it i then replaced the pipe onto the top of the filter and took the pump end off and there was a little bit of fuel in the pump and as my mate cranked her it dissapeared into the pump and didn't return. then i put my finger over the pump intake hole and my mate cranked her and i couldn't feel any suction again. this is what leads me to believe it's the pump. but i'm hoping it's not as it looks a right cow to get out to replace it or get it reconditioned. i have found this EBAY LINK REMOVED so i could recondition it myself but i wouldn't know if anything is broken inside the pump if i do take it to bits.

the filter sits vertically on the drivers side inner wing by the strut top. pics to follow just waiting for them to upload

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ring these people before buying any kits off the internet, injection pumps are tricky to fix.

http://www.cambsinjectorservice.co.uk/contact

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is a short video of number 4 injector. it is upside down as it's the only way i could wedge my phone in the engine bay.

this is the pump with the intake pipe off where i put my finger and found no suction

the stop solenoid that i have refitted without the plunger and spring to eliminate this as a problem, but still no joy

the fuel filter the front banjo is from tank to filter the top banjo is from filter to pump.

and another one just to show location in the engine bay more than anything

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mowgli View Post
    ring these people before buying any kits off the internet, injection pumps are tricky to fix.

http://www.cambsinjectorservice.co.uk/contact
    awesome i'll get in touch with these guys thankyou i haven't been able to find a local diesel place

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fit a piece of clear pipe between the filter and pump, and if you can get one, fit an in-line bulb primer too. Makes priming a fuel system soooooo much easier, and the clear pipe enables you to see if there is air in the system.

Once fitted, crack the injectors and pump the primer while your mate cranks it over and see if you get a good amount of fuel coming through. Also, to eliminate a blocked filter from the equation, simply bypass the filter and try run it like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

never, ever, ever run a diesel engine without a filter.. ever

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the problem with fitting a clear pipe is the banjo connectors it's not quite as simple as push fit connectors unfortunately and i don't have the kit to install banjos on any old pipe

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I work at a diesel place, we do it all the time and never ever had a problem, ever. Im talking briefly, to eliminate a problem. The fuel pumps on them things can run on gravel ffs, a bit of unfiltered diesel for 2 minutes isnt gonna cause any grief.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by staggy_gsi View Post
    I work at a diesel place, we do it all the time and never ever had a problem, ever. Im talking briefly, to eliminate a problem. The fuel pumps on them things can run on gravel ffs, a bit of unfiltered diesel for 2 minutes isnt gonna cause any grief.
    sorry, but any number of things in the fuel tank can kill a pump. water & rust for a start.. you might have been very lucky, or have particularly clean diesel in your workshop, but i'd never recommend it.