Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1220212223 LastLast

Thread: Rally Car Build

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got up to Crail for a proper rally test day, previous 2 tests had just been on one bit of runway but this was approx 3 mile laps
    Went out repeatedly for about 3 or 4 laps at a time throughout the day making adjustments and checks as we went. What a car! :D
    All was going brilliantly until just after lunch time when we were then to do the opposite direction, around a third of the way round the first lap went to change gear and all of a sudden no drive.
    Quickly realised that one of the shafts had sheared, jumped out to locate the bits of it on the track once it was safe to do so but could not understand as to why could not get one wheel drive so had to wait for a tow

Turned out once we got the car back to the garage up on the ramp that the other shaft had been spinning inside its sleeve, they must have both gone about the same time haha

Manta trying to chase us down

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scottmasterton View Post
    Having too much fun & the previous mounts were not up to the job tore themselves apart and the tie/castor bar went through the knuckle, new ones below

Surprised you don't want the metal bracket supporting that bolt from both ends given the forces on it?

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iain View Post
    Surprised you don't want the metal bracket supporting that bolt from both ends given the forces on it?
    Ideally they would be, however they need to be lower down than most people have them at the front to clear the gearbox which with other factors makes them already pretty difficult to access so we opted to use higher grade bolts and cds steel tube through with a couple of other things, the brackets should be more than capable

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Having that bolt in single shear is dangerous, regardless of the bolt strength.

Can you not box it in on 3 sides

Would be a lot safer, especially if you're using 10.9 or 12.9 bolts

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As said pal that bolt will be under so much stress. Im still only poly bushed and on some vids you can see my wheel move from its stationery position and touch the back of the inner arch on launch. had i mounted like this i dare say it would shear that bolt clean off. cant you bring another bracket to the lower side of the rose joint.

Sent from my MAR-LX1B using Tapatalk

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what we've got so far, will look to see if we can box it in more or redesign

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked up some MO5s 17x8 ET49 for a good price :D popped some of the Hankooks on

Mocking up strut mods

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the MO?s!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re front tie rod mounts, couldn?t you do something like this, extending the box section down to the other side of the rod end. You can then run some diagonal plating?

All your stress is still at the bottom near the rod end joint. I would say you need to box it in at the bottom?

I?m no engineer tho, but I?m sure other clever people on here can offer their opinion too.

Keep up the good work

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Simps View Post
    Re front tie rod mounts, couldn?t you do something like this, extending the box section down to the other side of the rod end. You can then run some diagonal plating?

All your stress is still at the bottom near the rod end joint. I would say you need to box it in at the bottom?

I?m no engineer tho, but I?m sure other clever people on here can offer their opinion too.

Keep up the good work

Will look at this with our engineer pal and see what they reckon