Page 23 of 74 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373 ... LastLast

Thread: Craig's Xe track Nova (pb fixed to page 10)

Senior User Club Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rocker looks like the small block version! LolSorry I missed you at billing dude and I will respond to your mig pm at some Point! Lol

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scott.parker View Post
    Looks ace mate
    Thanks. Its not perfect, but I have a backup plan also.

Quote Originally Posted by Benn View Post
    Love the cover!
    Me too, just not as much as I had hoped I would.

Quote Originally Posted by SimonTW View Post
    Nice work on the cam cover. Crackle paint is great for looks and also hiding any minor imperfections. What have you got planned for the plug lead cover?
    Plug cover will have the oil cap recess welded up, then left as it is with the script and painted red.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniManDan118 View Post
    Where did you get the crackle paint from mate? I'd planned to do my rocker cover in it and some other engine bay parts too. Can you get different colours?
    Im not sure about colours, its off a company called USA paints on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by jonn View Post
    very nice finish
    Its not the best, but once the bay is built up hopefully the rest of the equipment will divert my attention away from the irregularity of the wrinkles.

Quote Originally Posted by BRoadGhost View Post
    This is pathetic and pretty saddening tbh.

At no point did I say "This is what you should have done" so don't start putting things in quotation marks that haven't been said..
    As good as. Watching someone cut out their rear suspension, then saying "why don't you move it further towards the boot", when you know full well that since the cut that is not an option anymore is pretty much the same as saying "you have done it wrong".

Why must you stalk another thread too and drag your twisted perception things into this also? Seems like you're on some sort of witch hunt to me. If you think people don't come to a forum for discussion, then it's you who's got the problem here ~ A critical bolt failing for THE SECOND TIME on a twin cam engine, imo warrants help from others, since he's bothered to post a dedicated thread on the misery it caused.
    Simply a thread started by Will which I was interested in, which is why I read it. Not surprised atall to find the negative comment by yourself so included it here as a recent example.

Whether input from others is listened to or ignored is entirely up them. But to say people can't comment puts you on thin ice, because my friend there's something called freedom of speech..
    At the risk of going way off topic you are sorely mistaken if you think you are in a world where you really do have freedom of speech.

All this coming from the guy I helped with on advice a good steering column for the project..
    Please cast your mind back. You gave me a hint of an idea with no actual details regarding the model it was originally fitted to..... and a paypal address to buy yours from you. As anyone would I researched the subject and found out what it was off, and where I could get one from at a better price, and most importantly.... that day. When I got home, as a gesture of good will I put £6 into your PayPal account, and told you to buy yourself a couple of beers for the tip, for which might I add you never even had the decency to say thankyou for.

Rocker looks good btw.
    Thankyou.

Quote Originally Posted by Will F View Post
    Rocker looks like the small block version! LolSorry I missed you at billing dude and I will respond to your mig pm at some Point! Lol
    That's Ok I spent ages looking over your's, as mentioned via PM it was the car of the show for me. Gutted for you, but hopefully not too much damage. I have spare std length steel rods if you do need them. Worst case scenario its rebuilt with some accailites and a standard head.
    Last edited by 8valve-craig; 18-07-13 at 10:16 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyway, moving on, This weeks progress.

Spent a bit of time on the shell over the last few days too. Started by removing the tank, welding in the last 4 floor bungs & cutting out the spare wheel recess.

Two reasons for this. One being that Il probably be knocking up my own exhaust, so makes it easier, and also that at some point in the future I may want to make some sort of diffuser. Just opens up the options as I really don't want to be cutting anything once its painted.

Got a piece of 3mm Ally cut roughly to size, with a fold on the rear edge, so once trimmed into the shape of my cut out, Il just overlap it by 20mm then bond / rivet it in place.

(Thanks again Adam. Starting to think I must owe you quite a big favour )

Its a handy area to sit when working under the floor at the moment though, so wont do that just yet.

Spent a bit of time under there, and attacked all of the suspicious brown bits with the knotted wheel. Absolutely cuffed to find no structural rust atall.

So went along the whole floor cutting off all of the old fuel and brake line tabs, and removing unwanted brake pipes, heat trays and studs. Gave the welds a scrub, but do need to get under there with the flap disc to smooth some of the bigger puddles off, mostly where the spot welds were repaired.

I don't think Il bother removing the old under-seal. From what I can see its done a cracking job so far, so anything that isn't loose can stay and Il just re-apply something in the areas I have removed it from.

Also got a nice package delivered this afternoon.

Which kind of throws a spanner in the works.

White one is having the lip ground off, blasted and coated in silver next week, so should look similar to the WTTC cover.
    Last edited by 8valve-craig; 18-07-13 at 10:34 PM.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also had an odd parts request this week for a bare Corsa C disc equipped rear beam, so as I had a few in stock decided to oblige and stripped one down for dispatch. Something I have wanted to try for a while is to see if the stub axles would bolt up to a Nova axle and give the same track as OE, so thought it the perfect time to try it out.

To be honest I was expecting it to work anyway as I have seen it done on Corsa B's, so wasn't too surprised to see the stud pattern was the same.

Bolted it up and it looked like it was in the right place.

So fitted a wheel and went around it checking for clearance in the normal driving position.

Delighted to see it all fits fine, so a little fettling the handbrake cable and some custom lines, which it was having anyway and its a pretty simple disc conversion.

Not quite sure where I'm going to mount the bottom of the strut though? Logic says slightly inboard from the original mount on a boxed section and at the same height, but can't help thinking that with the correct reinforcement the lower level where it is sat now would be better?

Had a couple more packages turn up this week, only small stuff, but one of them had to be bought when the opportunity was there.

One is a Left exterior mirror blanking plate from a RHD base model. The other is a Right exterior blanking plate from a LHD base model.

Will be using them to de-mirror the car, then drilling holes and using them as base plates for SPA mirrors at some point in the future.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So what chevrolet ran the redtop then?

Thats one fine looking mirror blank youve got there mate ;-)

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah thanks Dan, Glad I got the opportunity.

Chevrolet Vectra GSi was basically a Cavalier GSi in South America, But they still use the engine block now, which is why the Lacetti and Cruze WTC used an XE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Used in the BTCC too aren't they? Be a shame not to use the new cam cover as it looks ace.

Glad to see you got on OK with the rear brakes - a guy I talked to at PV Show said there were some 'lugs' that needed grinding off on the rear so they sit flush with the beam and also camber discs/plates to get it straight again after doing so - any ideas/thoughts on this?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes there are a couple of lugs on each stub that needed filing off, but it only takes a few seconds and doesn't affect the face enough to require shimming as they are only at 3 & 9 o-clock with plenty of flat face showing for reference.

If I come across any other's il let you know, but I wouldn't hold your breath as 1800's are rare to find even for me.

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great work mate!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks,

Just a small update, did another few hours on it Saturday and got it to a point where theoretically it could be dropped back down onto its wheels now.

(Although it wont be as it needs a coat of stone chip)

Decided to mount the bottom of the rear strut at the lower level I spoke about before, mainly because it was just easier. So started making a 5mm plate to bring the mounting inboard a little.

Mounted it up to the car to check it before fully welding,

Then added a little extra webbing to the end.

I'm not concerned atall that it wont be strong enough, its as solid as a rock, and only half of the mount actually sits on the new addition.

Did the same for the other side then fitted it again.

Only temporary though, it'll be coming off again yet.

Drilled for the top mounts and checked it all for square, Nothings out of place and clearance is fine so should work well.

Plenty of room for adjustment.

Ordered some more bits this week, so will be mock fitting the engine and box soon so I can modify the o/s chassis leg for the oil pump, route the oil lines and sort out the gear shift.