Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: rusty the 86' Nova project

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marc69 View Post
    Hi, here is some advice which is hopefully helpful rather than patronising.

I am sure your welder will advise you as to what needs patched up.

The brakes...the calipers at the front will need to be freed out, this is a case of removing the brake pads and ensuring the calipers move in and out freely. If they dont, try a little careful sanding of any corrosion on the guides and use wd40 until you get them moving, then put in a drop of grease. If they still won't move you would probably be easier poutting in new guides if the car has sat that long same aplies to the piston. Obviously don't get wd40/grease on the disc, I am sure you can tell if a disc is solid or not.
    Brake pipes, check condition, I have never had problems with a nova pipe apart from one I broke. The flexipipes need to be in good nick and not choked on the inside.
    Rear brakes. The self adjuster are rubbish, better to just adjust them manually so that when the hub is on, they are just touching as you turn the wheel. Check the rear cylinders, they do leak and the rest is just checking including the servo.

Engine...apart from oil water etc. If it has lain for so long the carb may benefit from a wee clean, put in new points and condenser even if the old ones look good, check the coil is ok. Once you have the 1.0 engine running, I found that the gaps in haynes for the spark plugs and points do not give the most reliable service. I use champion plugs witha gap of 25thou and intermotor points with a gap of 13 thou although if you have the early delco remmy distributor (black cap with screws...I am looking for one) the gap may be what haynes said?

If you get through that lot you'll be partly on your way.

thanks for the advice :D i will definately follow it, i think i will need to replace the rear arches and wings, the drivers door will be getting replaced, changing the locking systems in the next few days but i will be removing the window mechanism first as it will be useless without one the calipers at the front have been freed up but im thinking of changing the calipers, pads and disks and may possibly look into putting disks at the back but it all depends on how easy it is and i will definately follow the advice about the engine

Thanks again mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old back box removed

Fitted new DTM back box

Found out it was too long since it was off an astra

from another angle

Door ready for removal

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not a fan of those exhausts but can't you cut the the end that meets the centre section bringing the exhaust in a good few inches or sell it and get a nova one

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brainsnova View Post
    I'm not a fan of those exhausts but can't you cut the the end that meets the centre section bringing the exhaust in a good few inches or sell it and get a nova one
    yeah ive heard that you can cut the pipe down abit but before i go cutting down the pipe im gonna see how my letterbox exhaust fits

PNG OS Survivor Club Member scott.parker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice little project, very nice from what i can see dude!
    If you ever want to sell the DTM let me know dude

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scott.parker View Post
    Nice little project, very nice from what i can see dude!
    If you ever want to sell the DTM let me know dude
    Thanks mate but its very far from finished, nice window sticker in your picture, where you get that? if i ever come to sell then ill let you know but you will need a shorter pipe since its off an astra

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking good dude

i love the dtms on cavs sound n look proper 90's

PNG OS Survivor Club Member scott.parker's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MrVauxMad94 View Post
    Thanks mate but its very far from finished, nice window sticker in your picture, where you get that? if i ever come to sell then ill let you know but you will need a shorter pipe since its off an astra
    It would work spot on as im thinking of fitting it on a loon..

stickers off ebay mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by scott.parker View Post
    It would work spot on as im thinking of fitting it on a loon..

stickers off ebay mate
    it should be ok then ill have a look for it :D

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just an update to say much hasnt been done to the car due to: lack of money, lack of parts and a typical british summer.

This is as she stands at the moment, Slabs have been removed since they have no locking nuts and there has been suspicious activity in the area, i found my shed and back gate open but nothing was taken, mustve been spooked by the dogs going mad and all of the lights in the house going on so due to that, the slabs have since been locked away safely.

due to boredom and not being able to do much to my car, i thought it needed a wash so a quick powerwash and then abit of elbow grease seemed to do the job, well not entirely....

these wouldnt budge at all :/ luckily the whole car needs a polish and im not too bothered about these ones in partcular as im hoping to replace both front panels and doors :D

The slabs also got a quick clean, they may be due to be re-done soon as you can still see bits of red so i assume they were red at one stage in their life, the centre caps needs going over again