Thread: xe nova alterntor problems, battery light on but dim (not all the time)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default xe nova alterntor problems, battery light on but dim (not all the time)

as above, the alternator isnt that old, i have good earths, if you blip the throttle the light goes out goes out and stays out, when the light is on its not charging but wen it goes out it is. i took the belt off the alternator and blipped the throttle and the light went off but obviously the battery wasnt charging ?? i have the blue/white wire connected to the alternator and the live. any help would be great......thanks

Mallwyd, thats rally country to you! . . Drives: . . . . .1.7TD Novavan
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lidz View Post
    ................... i have the blue/white wire connected to the alternator and the live...
    I assume you mean the Blue/whiteis connected to D+ and B+ (the thick 4mm2 red wire) on the alt? as far as i am aware the blue/white should not connect with any other wire on the alt, the only things the blue/white should connect with is the red charge light on the dash and the relay for the heated rear window, also try removing the relay for the heated rear screen and see if thats the cause of the problem

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

orite, thats interesting about the heated rear screen relay, were abouts is it ? and yea, the wires are both connected to what i think are the correct terminals. thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the heated rear screen should only work once the car is running to give extra juice to the starter for crank and not to flatten the battery by accident, the relay should be on the back of the main fuseboard, cant remember which one for sure possibly the one nearest the door, but its definitely one of the outer ones, the middle one is indicators and the other outer one is for the front wipers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats great, its really baffled me for days this fault, i still have my doubts with the alternator but i cant pin point any definate problem. thanks very much for the advice i will try that relay tomorrow off my gsi.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

granted tho that the relay may not be the problem.... but you never know.

Failing this I would have said its the regulator on the alt, but as you removed the belt and it still happened god knows.

Just out of interest did you test the voltages across the batt terminals?