Thread: 1989 1.0 daily, 'Jet Black'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 1989 1.0 daily, 'Jet Black'

For those who've not seen it, this is my infamous '89 3-door Mk1 OHV, Jet Black. Yep, those vinyls are Mini/Metro ones....thought it was a good yet cheap custom job.

Unsure whether this belongs in this forum as right now it is just my daily and pretty much factory spec still. 87,000 on the clock as of this week, but bodywork isn't the best., and zero service history.

Bought in May 2010. Work done so far - new plugs, rocker gasket, battery, plugs, 2 new sets of HT leads, new cap, points (needs another new set - they were the culprits of the bad running problem!) coil, and rotor arm.

Ideally I'd like to fit two new front wings before the next MOT if I can find two cheap enough.

To be fair it cost me £460 to buy and apart from those servicing bits the only other costs have been tax and MOTs/MOT repairs.

Plans:
    New CB points (thanks saloonwoody for identifying the source of the misfire :D)
    New front wings
    Would also like some triangle-hole SR-style steelies as I prefer the looks.
    Generally just to tidy it up a bit as despite its scruffy panels it's low mileage.

A few pics:

Got into PC magazine last December:

The vinyls, along with Metro wheel trim (no longer has these on - they don't fit the 13" wheels)

Sorry about the arty-farty photos, my Flickr-Pro account's expired and the only photos left are the modelly-type ones!
    Last edited by Elstro1988; 27-12-11 at 10:36 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looks good buddy

aint seen many black mk1's

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

still running ok mate ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

didnt they do a jet black metro..

loving the duck tape arch, i had a transit van made of the stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by saloonwoody View Post
    still running ok mate ?
    Yep, took it out just after you left on Sat and it was fine - idled lovely as well on the drive. Thank you so much for that - that was 3 months of agonising over the possibility of blown piston rings gone...all this for the sake of worn points. Will get some in the new year along with the massive favour I owe you for coming over! Decided to play it safe and let my brother drive me to me rents anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Alex J View Post
    didnt they do a jet black metro..

loving the duck tape arch, i had a transit van made of the stuff
    Yeah, heard this a lot. Was originally after a Metro but decided on getting this Mk1 after being beaten by more on-it buyers to 3 different Metros. Plus I loved my first car, a red 1200 Mk2.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=Elstro1988;1969891]Yep, took it out just after you left on Sat and it was fine - idled lovely as well on the drive. Thank you so much for that - that was 3 months of agonising over the possibility of blown piston rings gone...all this for the sake of worn points. Will get some in the new year along with the massive favour I owe you for coming over! Decided to play it safe and let my brother drive me to me rents anyway!

glad to hear all is well mate

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update:

Full Service from Halfords. However either I'm ultra paranoid or ripped off - up hills the car really struggles to stay at a constant speed. Have I just become an auto-hypohondriac or is it something serious? I know the OHV lump isn't exactly renowned for its performance anyway. Apparently my tappets need adjusting too.

Also.
    Both rear wheel cylinders are leaking into the dust covers, and the brakes are knackered - the rear drums are worn and the front discs and pads need replacing. As do the front wings. Worth using filler or just bolting on two new ones?

Have I spent the last almost 2 years with a total shed?? Only done 87,140 as well!

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

cant tell you about the rest, but my 1.0 bordering on 61k isnt a particularly refined engine..
    i often find i have to change down into 3rd to stay at 30 going up a steep(ish) hill.
    hope that puts your mind at ease matey