Thread: Quaife shifter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Quaife shifter

How do these fair with a lift up reverse (Corsa) as oppose to a push down stylee??

http://www.quaife.co.uk/shop/products/qke6cg

Or do they eliminate the lift up entirely??

Club Member Club Member peester's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im not sure what you mean by how do these fair?
    I believe the whole stem/stick is lifted for reverse, no outer sleeve/shaft to lift.
    I think it can be adjusted too; ill see if i can find in lee303's mega mig thread about what he did at one point..

So you connecting it with a rod and h/h joint bits? to a dogleg 'box? (as on fb )
    "let me drive.. i won't make a fool out of you"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peester View Post
    im not sure what you mean by how do these fair?
    I believe the whole stem/stick is lifted for reverse, no outer sleeve/shaft to lift.
    I think it can be adjusted too; ill see if i can find in lee303's mega mig thread about what he did at one point..

So you connecting it with a rod and h/h joint bits? to a dogleg 'box? (as on fb )
    How do they fair with regards to removing a lift up reverse OEM shifter (Corsa B) & fitting an entire Quaife shifter with connecting rods & uniball joints etc.

If I can find a complete dogbox with LSD fitted for a reasonable price then yes without a doubt chance are slim to none though

Obviously, the aforementioned is all speculation depending on A) funding & 2) finding a decent spec FWD GM rally being broken last resort is buying one new!!

Club Member Club Member peester's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The reason I asked is because these don't work with an o.e gm syncro gearbox the travel in its shift is too close too short to move the arm at the selector. I looked into it last year spoke to many including Bowyer.. Hence going for what I have now , that cost me bout the same Lol but works with any gm o.e box.
    "let me drive.. i won't make a fool out of you"

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Nova and Corsa gear layout is exactly the same, the 'lift up' only pulls the plastic lug above the metal surround to allow the extra travel over to Reverse - as opposed to the Nova's push down lever to push the lug under the metal surround.

Apart from this the principle and operation of gear selection between both models is identical. If I remember correctly the lever pushes down for R on the Quaife unit

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And as far as I know these can be used on an ordinary GM gearbox. I have toyed with the idea of buying the shifter and Helicopter joints, then machining the shafts and selector rod myself but even second hand units seem to fetch a very high price

Junior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U do push down for reverse on the quaife unit. They are not designed for a synchro box. They destroy them. The shift is to close and aggressive. Thy were designed for quaife dogboxes. And u do need it for 1 of their chocolate boxes!! I run an f20 5spd dog wiv a corsa internal linkage, its a real nice change. I wouldn't waste ur money pal

North Events Co-ordinator Moderator boffer8's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The idea that a Quaife shifter cannot be used with a standard GM gearbox is pure tosh (sorry to slay you down peester), i have one fitted on mine to allow for it all to be fully fitted before i get my proper gearbox built, and i have never had a problem with it, the shifter moves the correct distance and selects perfectly, It has to be directly connected to the gearbox (without the rear engine mount mounted section from the standard linkage) and if done properly can be done with only 2 helicopter joints and no bulkhead mounted bearing.

Mike, there was a full Quaife dogbox with Tran X on Ebay 2 weeks ago, was at £1200 but didn't sell i don't think, and with regards to the lift up gearchange, that is just a gear stick gate mechanism, it doesnt relate to any movement within the box itself, it just stops you from selecting reverse instead of 1st which could be very embarrassing :s
    If Carlsberg did Motor clubs, then IDMC would probably be the best motor club in the world.