Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Complete audio setup - reccomendations required.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Complete audio setup - reccomendations required.

Hi,

Got myself a Mk2 with no audio gear in it...literally, no audio. even down to the dash speakers (although i cant confirm this till i've had a good poke around.)

I've got an alpine head unit, cage ETC so thats sorted.

I've also got an alpine sub - however im realy not wanting to put this in a box tbh, as its fairly heavy and takes up a bit of space. I was thinking about removing the spare wheel and fitting the sub & amp into the space there in the boot floor. Will fitting it like so **** the sound up significantly?

Now what i'd like, is a set of realy realy good front speakers that'll give enough bass to keep me happy all day long, and a means of mounting them to the doorcards...or am i better off not bothering and fitting some 6x9's into the parcel shelf or simmilar? I've always been under the impression that its the front speakers that do 90% of the work...Was thinking about a set of 13cm Alpine components. However i cant find any universal speaker pods on ebay or anything

That said, i've got not a lot of budget at all...Oh, and just to complicate things that bit more, i've got no speaker wiring - all that'll have to be re-done aswell What would you guys reccomend?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Speaker wiring isn't hard, just get a roll of audio cable off ebay for a few quid. Probably be better than using crapped out 20+ year old wires!

Sub in the footwell could work, although once you've used enough MDF and foam to hold it in place well enough without it rattling around, it would probably be just as heavy as a box.

Alpine are a good choice for speakers, but in my experience they can be a bit weak if you like your volume to be on 11 all the time (). Also look at Infinity, they do some reasonably priced kit.

chippy shoulder Admin
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, do you want volume or quality or both? Whats the budget?

We use Alpine amps and speakers in all our analogue test rigs here (We use B&O amps/speakers on the Digital rigs) and even without enclosures the 2/3 way coaxial 6" speakers are pretty damn fine, but separates with crossovers would be a nicer way to do it if you fancy some extra quality.

From testing cheap amps/speakers the cheap amp is definitely the WORST part of a cheap system.

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought 4 of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2004541176...ht_2014wt_1063

put two in the dash and two in the rear parcel shelf supports, after looking round quite abit i wanted something half decent but cheap, i bought these and was surprised at them and the fact they don't rattle everything and sound half decent even where they're located, i turned the bass down on them and put a sub and box in the boot

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks like i'll be leaving the sub out then - i've got the speaker wire and picked up a pair of FLI 16cm speakers...simply because they came with grilles which the alpines diddent, and i was reccomended them by a mate who had a pair in his volvo....and at £20 less than the alpines due to being on offer i cant complain!

Figure if they're not bassy enough then they can always be sold on and replaced with an alpine component setup - however that means dicking about with tweak boxes and tweeter positions unless im much mistaken?

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Subs are a bit chavy nowadays and adds weight that's not wanted.

User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ this!

Plus as I'm going to run full interior on this car then I've got weight issues before I start.

Regarding the chav aspect, Ive already got enough bling points for fitting a dump valve!

Senior User
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive got a 15" JL audio lung rattling beast of a sub going in the spare wheel well.

But mines purely a show car / Trips out with the GF on a sunday etc, and is kept in a heated garage.

Id look at maybe a small 10" sub with small box, and some alpine stuff as for the money imo its good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as above JL are good i got 2 w6s in the cav

but whats your budget?

Rosyth Fife. Drives: corsa b Builds: nova gsi rep
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive got some alpine components, tweeters and alpine sub 400w in my corsa b sounds awrite quite bassy though. i also want a sound system in the nova... ive got doorcards with speakers in them but if you want bass get asub in the boot and upgraded front speakers will be fine imo